Notices

924S sheet metal sources?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 PM
JPs924S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 924S sheet metal sources?

Anyone have any suggestions for sheet metal panels for a 1987 924S in Eastern Ontario (I am in Kingston)? I need the drivers rocker panel (damaged & rotted), and maybe the passenger rocker panel (unsure how bad it is). I contacted Nineapart in Toronto, and they said they have donor cars with good rockers which could be cut out at whatever points I wanted (but were reluctant to quote me a price). If I could also find a clean front piece (between the headlights), and a clean left front fender, that would be good too - both in blue.

Thanks for any tips.
- Paul.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

You didn't get a quote casue you'll have to hand over your first born to get it! Try Whale Tail Porsche Parts, they are in Waterloo and might have what you are after at a much lower price but the chances are it won't be blue.

If the rockers are rotted on both sides, then either this car was under water or sat over grass for a very long time. Have a really good look at the underside and see if it's worth saving. I had a 928 that was like this and upon closer look it was too far gone to bring it back to life so it was parted out.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

best place is rennlist. join to become member and then you can view the forsale section. guys sell 924/44 parts there very cheap. or ask on the 924 board.
welcome to rennlist; as per forum rules you must introduce yourself here and include pictures of your car.
you also may want to check with Marcus Blazak and see if he has any donor cars for the rockers...he lives in kingston.
I agree with Imre; check out the rest of the underside to be sure it is worth fixing...actually check over the whole car as some parts can add up on these. Good luck, 924s can be a lot of fun.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:49 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Kingston, too. I've never seen a 924 at Markus' but I am hunting for a non-sunroof roof skin, so if you happen to find a donor, please let me know!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:41 PM
JPs924S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

I will check out Whale Tail - someone had mentioned them before, but I had forgotten the name. I have the email address for Marcus, so I will drop him a line too.

The drivers side rocker is the bad side. It appears that the rocker had been pelted down to the bare metal (winter driven), add a few dents/scrapes through the coating, and the rot began. The inner rocker and floor are fine, and even jacking the car from the jack point produces no worrysome creaking/crunching noises. Also the door seams all around are good, and line up well. I checked it out well before I brought it home. That said, I also do not have a lot of money tied up in it.

I know what you mean about the parts adding up. I have seen quite a few nice 924 and 944 in good shape, so spending a lot to restore this one would not make sense. I only want to make it solid, drive it to work over the summer, and spend some tome at the local auto-x and lapping days. This will be a budget build.

If I come across a donor non-sunroof skin in my quest, I will let you know.

I couldn't see where to post an intro, so I added one to the 924 (& company) section - I hope that is ok.

Last edited by JPs924S; 02-09-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 924S sheet metal sources?