Notices

Ideas on Second Car for Wife

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 10:30 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas on Second Car for Wife

Well, with the dollar over parity now, and given that I got to buy my toy (C4S) this past summer, I thought I would start looking for something for the wife. I imported my own car from the US and found it really easy to do, but then again, I bought from a dealer.

So, I am looking for a vehicle to replace her 2004 Toyota Sienna. Due to our space needs (2 adults and 4 kids), I suspect we will need a minivan - but I am open to your suggestions, all makes/models.

Why am I posting this on Rennlist? Because I would like to get something that has some "gearhead cred". She says she is tired of the minivan, but I'm not sure what else would fit the whole gang.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:35 AM
PPo
Drifting

How old are the kids?

How many times in a year do you travel with all 6 in the same vehicle?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 AM
spender
Pro

Kids are 8, 6, 3, and... -6 months! We all travel together for drives up to the cottage (few times a year) and trips to see Grandma, Costco, etc.

So far, my initial list includes vehicles that have third-row seating like the Acura MDX and the Audi Q7.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:59 AM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My two daughters bought MDXs and they are great cars but if third row in use there is no storage space. Look at the Mercedes GL or Buick Enclave. My third daughter with three kids bought one last Summer. With the third row in use there is stlll a lot of room for storage. The two captain's chairs configuration gives an isle to get to the third row easily. The MDX only offers a bench seat for second row and makes it impractical for access to third row. Surprisingly the Buick also drives nice and has adequate power.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Quinlan
Racer

If you can get a second car for your wife I would say you made a good trade.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ha!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G55
Old 12-31-2010, 11:59 AM
bavorak
Instructor

I think the Q7 or GL Benz are good choices, as someone in another thread said the Q7 has alot of space, stylish and good ol German engineering.

I'm not too keen on the domestics but since were brain storming here, what about the escalade ESV? Probably going to be thirsty but with the savings in price it could be a viable option, BTW no import duty on anything made in NA.

Good luck, let us know how you decide.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My uncle just bought a 2010 Q7 S-Line and it's amazing! Everything about it is perfect!
Old 12-31-2010, 01:10 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

with that many kids plus their friends, I'm afraid you'll need one of these:
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2010, 01:31 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Honda Odyssey or Dodge Gran Caravan. Our neighbor has the Dodge and she loves it. The seat stowage is a miracle of engineering. The Honda not so much but technically better. As far as moving people I don't think you can find anything as practical or economical as the mini van. The options list is long and you can get a basic or load it up with toys and comfort.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I saw a brand new Odyssey yesterday - I actually kind of like the lines on it, at least for a minivan. Escalades are cheaper to buy in Canada than import - the cost savings gets eaten up with the import costs, even with no duty, and certain years/models get hit with the green excise (gas guzzler) tax at the border.

I spent a week with an MDX recently, and absolutely loved it. Comfortable, nice ride, spacious, plenty of features, but not overwhelming (our old Ford Explorer had 64 buttons on the console ). If there's enough space + seating, that'd be my recommendation.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Toyota Venza crossover SUV / Minivan. A soft departure from the space of a minivan wanting to become a sporty SUV.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7
Honda Odyssey or Dodge Gran Caravan. Our neighbor has the Dodge and she loves it. The seat stowage is a miracle of engineering. The Honda not so much but technically better. As far as moving people I don't think you can find anything as practical or economical as the mini van. The options list is long and you can get a basic or load it up with toys and comfort.
I agree that the minivan is the way to go especially with young kids. One of the main advantages is that the front seat passenger can walk between the seats to go solve kid problems; especially with captain seats in the 2nd row so you can easily get to row 3. Plus the sliding doors mean never having to say you're sorry when a kid throws the back door open and dings the adjacent car. Perfect family vehicles and the new ones are nicely equipped.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+2 for the Odyssey, your kids are still young they will enjoy a mini van, comming from a '04 Toyota Sienna the Odyssey will be hit with the wife as well.

Quick Reply: Ideas on Second Car for Wife