Notices

Ideas on Second Car for Wife

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Good call on the Venza - those are really nice. Really more like a Lexus than a Toyota in terms of comfort. Might be a bit too small, though.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on Q7. My wife loves it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 PM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Toyota Venza crossover SUV / Minivan. A soft departure from the space of a minivan wanting to become a sporty SUV.

I was thinking also about the Venza and Highlander while reading this thread, but I tought they might not be that 'luxury' brand that every one was talking about.. :P

for what I heard Venza and Highlander is pretty much the same car, the Highlander is a Venza with more height.. the Highlander Limited got some pretty nice option too!..
And for Reliability of a vehicule you want to keep a good 10 years.. can't go wrong with Toytoy!!

I am actually interested in buying one of theses in the next 1-2 years, might go for the Highlander just for the convenience of fitting a bigger box if needed and the towing capacity of 5000lbs (not that I need it, but It can serve if I need to pull a trailler sometime)

What do you'v guys think about theses?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 604 Posts

My wife had an Odyssey from 2005 to last December and it was a great vehicle with lots of room for the kids and easy access to the rear seats with 2nd row captain chairs. She traded it for a 2010 Pilot and loves it also. It has lots of room (built on same platform as the Oddysey as I understand it) and the 3rd row is quite useable with room for the groceries behind it. I went from a 2008 Cayenne V6 to a 2010 MDX for my DD and while it is a little smaller cargo-wise than the Pilot, the extra $7K it cost me over the Pilot was well worth it. Drives beautifully, nice interior, great standard features. I put running boards and door edge guards on it and it improved the look dramatically. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
PPo
Drifting

I can't believe that I am going to say this, but in the last few years Ford has been impressing me... The Ford Flex is a great alternative to a minivan... and its currently on my list of consideration for a family vehicle.

Drove around in a friends Flex... not bad at all for the price.

but considering the ages of your children... I think a minivan is still your best bet... sorry.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:02 PM
spender
Pro

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, very appreciated!

I am definitely a fan of both the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey, and would get either one again in a heartbeat. However, I think that it's time for her to be able to drive something fun and sporty again. Back in the day, when we met, I was driving a 120 hp 4-cylinder Isuzu Trooper that could barely hit 110 km/h on the highway - but she had a hot blue little Honda Civic with some kind of limited edition sports features. Especially now that she has given me the green light to expand our garage (so we can get 4 cars in, which means I'll get to have another p-car or two...), I really want to get her something fun.

Great suggestions everyone, I had never even thought of the Buick Enclave, but it seems to offer a lot of bang for the buck! We have had the Ford Flex on rentals in Phoenix and Palm Springs before, and I always liked driving it - but somehow wouldn't want to own one! :-) An Audi Q7 drove past me today, and I thought it looked just perfect. Also read up on the Acura MDX, doesn't ring my bells, looks too dull and as one posted pointed out, the bench seat wouldn't work great for me.

Does the Cayenne comes with a third row option???
Old 12-31-2010, 09:52 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spender
Does the Cayenne comes with a third row option???
I wish.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

The Odyssey is a nice minivan.
Have you considered a... Toyota Sequoia.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

What does she want?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

PPI Q7....
http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/perf...-complete.html
Old 01-01-2011, 11:20 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd get a Suburban...
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BMW X5 has 3rd row and is fun to drive.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

The problem with the 3rd row seats in most SUV/Crossovers is the limited access you have to them. If you're trying to load small kids into child seats back there, you'll need to invest in a year's worth of chiropractor visits for your back.
The leg room and headroom is not stellar and when that row is "up" and in use, your trunk space is compromised, so family road trips with all 3 rows used means small overnight bags for all or loading the roof rack a la Griswold. 3rd rows in SUV/Crossovers has always been designed as more of an occasional jump seat; I think you're better off with a minivan of some sort. Stick to the Japanese for a minivan: all have been refreshed recently and Nissan is about to launch an all new Quest in a couple of months too.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

With 3 kids, a long wheelbase minivan is the only practial thing to get. I know, it's not the most stylish thing to have but the practiacality will overide the "soccer mom image" fast. The best part is that they can be used as a pickup truck too.

I've carried engines, 16 tires with only the rear row removed, an engine hoist, snowblowers, appliances and pretty much anything you can imagien in the back of my Venture. Just make sure to have something thick to put down so the carpet doesn't get dirty and you are good to go. The seat achor points are perfect to secure all the laod you can fit in there.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
The problem with the 3rd row seats in most SUV/Crossovers is the limited access you have to them. If you're trying to load small kids into child seats back there, you'll need to invest in a year's worth of chiropractor visits for your back.
The leg room and headroom is not stellar and when that row is "up" and in use, your trunk space is compromised, so family road trips with all 3 rows used means small overnight bags for all or loading the roof rack a la Griswold. 3rd rows in SUV/Crossovers has always been designed as more of an occasional jump seat; I think you're better off with a minivan of some sort. Stick to the Japanese for a minivan: all have been refreshed recently and Nissan is about to launch an all new Quest in a couple of months too.
Agreed. With our Odyssey, we loaded 4 adults and 2 kids with a week's worth of luggage to the airport (1 hour trip to Buffalo) and everyone was comfortable. 2 people in the 3rd row meant tons of room.

Originally Posted by Imo000
With 3 kids, a long wheelbase minivan is the only practial thing to get. I know, it's not the most stylish thing to have but the practiacality will overide the "soccer mom image" fast. The best part is that they can be used as a pickup truck too.
Forget image. You need an appliance. Are you concerned what other people think when you buy a dishwasher or washing machine?

Quick Reply: Ideas on Second Car for Wife