Quebec Photo Radar - Just found out the hard way

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:40 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Quebec Photo Radar - Just found out the hard way

So all excited to have received new car parts for my TR6, I went to post office to pick them up. Imagine the major let down when I see that it is from the Ministère de Justice du Québec.... Allegedly, I was traveling faster than the posted limit in Montreal (I know that I was running with traffic) and got zapped by a radar camera.

I did not realize that Quebec had put these in place and certainly do not recall a sign indicating that there was surveillance in the area.

To the best that I can see it is only a fine with no points associated to it. Can anyone confirm? Secondly, I am an Ontario resident, does that have any impact?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2010, 10:46 AM
ibeaudoin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
To the best that I can see it is only a fine with no points associated to it. Can anyone confirm?
That's correct, only a fine because to give points a police officer need to identify the driver.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:47 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ian.

Do you know if anyone fights these?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:58 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Additional question,

According to the Ontario Ministry of Transport

"Drivers convicted of a driving related offence in the State of New York, the State of Michigan or any Canadian province or territory, will have home jurisdictional penalties such as demerit points and/or suspensions applied to their Ontario driver record as if the offence occurred in Ontario."

Does this mean that Ontario can still apply demerits even if Quebec does not?
Old 11-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

I've been to a traffic meeting at work the other day and people were talking aobut brining photo radar back on the municipal level. I personally don't think it will happen as Mississauga has been tryign to do this (to gereate much needed revenue) for years with no sucess. But if a bylas ever passes to have them, it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Fergus, there are signs before any of the photo radar sites in Montreal. One says surveillance par radar the other is a pictogram. Sorry you got nailed. No demerit points here, just a fine.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:40 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Fergus, there are signs before any of the photo radar sites in Montreal. One says surveillance par radar the other is a pictogram. Sorry you got nailed. No demerit points here, just a fine.
Thanks Bob. I almost never go that way due to construction/traffic on the bridge (take Victoria Bridge) and must have missed the sign navigating the crazy merge from where the 720 and Decarie merge onto the 15 and 4 lanes converge into 3. Not that this is an excuse.

What concerns me more is understanding if Ontario will apply the demerits even though Quebec does not. They will only see the infraction when it is transmitted under the reciprocity agreement.... and it will hurt more here than there.

I am POed as my clean record is not clean anymore (hopefully I am good for another 20 years - touching wood)
Old 11-20-2010, 01:54 PM
ScrnPrntr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do believe that you get points attached with an out of province conviction. While wheelin in NY State a few years ago, I got a speeding ticket, got caught doing 145 km in a 90km zone... 2 pts and $145 usd @35% exchange..

ouch..

that was my 3rd ticket in a year... 2 for speeding, 1 seatbelt.... had 5 pts... and had to go to the "skool"
Old 11-20-2010, 02:42 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

I do believe that you get points attached with an out of province conviction.
You do get the points for the out of province conviction under normal circumstances.

However, given that Quebec is only seeking the fine for the speeding infraction and not attaching the points due to the fact that an officer does not visually identify the driver, the question that I have is will Ontario attach the points or not or just log the conviction (especially since we don't have photo radar here) .
Old 11-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I believe that the following applies:

Normal,non photo speeding: you get the points from any adjacent jurisdiction, (Quebec, NY,Ohio, Michigan etc)

Photo speeding: fine, no points,pay fine.

Probably not worth fighting the Que item..they have a photo!. I always fight anything from US ; you need a good local lawyer, but it is worth the investment.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 402 Posts

how much is the fine btw?
remember those vans they used to use here in Ontario?
I would be happy to eliminate conventional radar (let the cops police criminals; you know guns, knives, theft) and put photo radar everywhere. then they can get the ca$h grab and not affect our insurance.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:13 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 279 Likes on 188 Posts

I was told by a lobbyist that they were rejected the last time around because off duty OPP and Metro Police would loose their license to speed. If this is true, I don't see how they would consider putting them in now.....
Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

Ronan is correct. my llast ticket was a photo radar on the 15 approaching the bridge. 90.00 plus added on levis came to about 115.00
no points. but conventional ticket points do transfer
Old 11-21-2010, 01:43 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Ronan is correct. my llast ticket was a photo radar on the 15 approaching the bridge. 90.00 plus added on levis came to about 115.00
Thanks... Mine was a bit more than that. Love the $44 bucks they added for costs and the $10 they added for a "Contribution"
Old 11-21-2010, 07:17 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Don't you wish you lived in Germany...

A German judge let 42 speeding ticket recipients off with nary a charge last week because he is opposed to the country’s practice of punishing speeders.

Judge Helmut Knoener in Herford in northwestern Germany’s North Rhine-Westphalia said that speeding tickets – and other controls limiting excessive speed on highways – are in place to raise money for the state rather than to improve safety on the road. Knoener took a stand against what he sees a government corruption by throwing 42 speeding tickets out of the courtroom.

Quick Reply: Quebec Photo Radar - Just found out the hard way