Old 11-22-2010, 12:57 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updated Garage Pics - The 996's New Garage Mate

The 996 has a new neighbor

1993 RX-7 Touring Edition
1.3L 2-Rotor Engine with Sequential Twin Turbos (Seemless boost from rediculously low RPM)
260HP (US Spec, the Japanese Spec Cars Made upto 280)
35,000 Miles Original (So Under 55,000kms)
And Most Importantly: Curb Weight 2800 lbs! - Making it at least 200 lbs lighter than my 996. And it really feels it when you flick it thru corners.

The thing drives and corners like it rolled off the factory. The interior is all there and hella clean for a "non-exotic" car this age.

I don't think i'll play around too much with it, a few simple bolt-ons will get me to 300HP at the wheels and that'll be that.

I've already ordered the basic reliability mods. Blitz intercooler to replace the inadequate stock unit. A downpipe to replace the rediculous pre-cat. These cars have 2 cats in them, but the pre-cat is completly useless and just serves to trap hot air in the engine bay and bake your hoses. Also ordered a Racing Beat catback to give it a lighter rear end and sportier but non-ricey sound.

To those of you on here who own older cars (911's, 912's, 944's, Datsuns, Triumphs et al.), you know exactly what makes an old car you love so special. They just don't make 'em like this anymore. Light, excellent handling, undiluted steering feel, no electronic nannies, and FLIP UP HEADLIGHTS! To hell with pedestrian impact saftey regulations, bring flip up headlights back!.

Clive, snapped some quick pics with the iPhone for you following our chat on saturday:

On a semi-related note: canadian tire has Motomaster booster packs on sale! I just picked up an epic model that has a dc to dc plug incase your battery dies in the 911 with the trunk closed trapping your battery. Just boost thru the cigarette lighter and voila. For fellow track addicts, it also has a bloody tire pump with a built-in guage on the side of it! Looks like it'll be the perfect track mate for next season. It also has a flashlight and 2 A/C outlets to power your stereo, electric bong or whathaveyou.

Cheers!

P.S. For those of you unfamiliar with the car, there were a total of 68,000 made worldwide from 1992-2002. In North America we only got the 1993-1995 models and over the years the Japanese and Kiwi's got the updated models with more revisions and whatnot.

Below is a picture of one of the first cars, north american style, and the final production model (Spirit R verison, sporting OEM carbon fiber recaro seats, bilstein suspension and BBS forged wheels. Rear wing is adjustable for downforce)

Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the "smooth, quiet, safe, reliable" nature of new cars, but I prefer old cars hands down. Much more tactile qualities. Makes you feel like your driving..not sitting on a living room couch!
(My dad always described driving his Lincoln saying it felt like driving a "living room" around town.)

Nice buy!!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Such cool cars and very rare to find an unmodified specimen.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1993 RX-7...wow..do you need to crank it up to start...LOL
Nice find and enjoy it in the summer time. Although the turbo will love he cold winter air. Hmmm
Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

I know someone around here with a 911 who also has a Miata that has a blower on it, lightened chassis and it will kill any Porsche outside of turbo's or GT3's... I think he keeps it away from us at GTG's so we won't feel whipped.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
I know someone around here with a 911 who also has a Miata that has a blower on it, lightened chassis and it will kill any Porsche outside of turbo's or GT3's... I think he keeps it away from us at GTG's so we won't feel whipped.
Actually I met former MP Carolyn Parish's husband once and he bought a miata off a kid back in the day. It had a roll bar and a blower on it and he said it was tons of fun (this coming from a 50 something year old business professional). Nice guy, seemed to really like his cars.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

man that is a nice looking car .. made your mind up on the plan yet ? which one is going to be the track rat and which one the daily driver ?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

They sure got the shape right on that car..............very nice daily driver!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
man that is a nice looking car .. made your mind up on the plan yet ? which one is going to be the track rat and which one the daily driver ?
Porsche as daily and the occasional Arnaud Mosport Day
Bike will still be the permanent track ****.
RX-7 will be for weekend cruising and maybe the occasional light track day (won't be bouncing it off the turtles or anything...she's old lol)
Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE