Notices

Rennlist for Ipod/Ipad...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:52 AM
morrisroad
Instructor

Location: Toronto, Canada,Planet Earth, Earth-Moon System, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennlist for Ipod/Ipad...

Does anyone know if a Rennlist app exists or is in the works for Rennlist? did a search but could not find one. I just tried the Bimmerfest on the iphone 4 and its great.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Granger968
Rennlist Member

I just logged on to Rennlist this mor ing from my iPhone and it went to the mobile version of the site automatically. This is new, it used to go to the normal web interface. Seems to work well so far... This should be a major improvement!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 AM
vipola
Racer

What's the point of an app for rennlist?.. it's a website, and it look like there is a mobile version.. why just create a useless app that will be a web wrapper ?!?

I phone app are usefull, when they aren't just a Wrapper!.. :P
Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vipola
What's the point of an app for rennlist?.. it's a website, and it look like there is a mobile version.. why just create a useless app that will be a web wrapper ?!?

I phone app are usefull, when they aren't just a Wrapper!.. :P
I'm sure he doesn't mean, "when is Rennlist going to be available in pseudo-web-app form?" To specifically answer your question, though: just because a mobile device is capable of rendering a whole page of HTML doesn't mean that that is the best way of displaying or interacting with content. What's more, because vBulletin's mobile HTML implementation on sites like Rennlist has to support all kinds of mobile devices which don't stick to any one standard for rendering HTML, parts of it can look downright sloppy.

A real Rennlist app could, for example, alert you via push if you have a new PM, if a thread you subscribe to has been updated, or if something you've been searching for turns up in the classifieds.

I asked IB about adding Tapatalk support (http://www.tapatalk.com/) but Mark told me that they're working on an iPhone version, themselves.

Quick Reply: Rennlist for Ipod/Ipad...