Notices

Looking at importing from the USA.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
The only problem with Vipers is warranty - any remaining factory warranty will be voided on any Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep product as soon as it crosses the border. Just something to keep in mind.

Just to let people know: Juroviesky and Ricci LLP have a class action suit in Ontario Superior Court (mid 2007) against the following firms;

The statement of claim names as defendants:

General Motors Corp., General Motors of Canada Ltd., American Honda Motor Co. Inc., Honda Canada Inc., Chrysler Canada Inc., Chrysler LLC, Nissan North America Inc., Nissan Canada Inc., along with the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association and the National Automobile Dealers Association in the United States. The firm also plans to add Toyota and Ford, including their Canadian units, once it has signed up representative plaintiffs for each one.

Juroviesky said he got involved in the lawsuit after working with a company that helps Canadian auto dealers go to the U.S. to finance cars.

"The dealers came back and said 'We cannot get our hands on new cars,'" he said. "We started investigating why and we saw that the auto manufacturers have put these impediments in front of Canadians to... keep their prices higher."

Juroviesky denounced dealer tactics, such as voiding warranties, used to stop cross-border shoppers.

Dealers in the past have used the large gap between the Canadian dollar and U.S. greenback to justify the higher prices in Canada, said Juroviesky.

"Now that the dollar is at parity they can't use that cloud... to mask what they're doing," he said.
The basis for the suit is that the industry is 'colluding' with it's dealerships to maintain high prices by limiting the ability of Canadian consumers to buy late model cars that have warranties attached. Buying a new or near new car without a warranty affects it's value if bought and mostly affects the sale to begin with. (There are other claims beyond warranties as well to this suit)

I have not seen the statement of defence but I would find it interesting to see if they have any defence as to the 'technical' reasons why they cannot offer a warranty on a car that is less then one year old and only has 5K mileage for example, (let alone brand new with zero mileage).

FYI:
Justice Perell approved the Plaintiffs motion for discontinuance after hearing evidence that Plaintiffs counsel had seen evidence that BMW Canada and BMW NA did not participate in the activities alleged in the Statement of Claim filed in the lawsuit.

The lawsuit is still ongoing against the other Defendants.
That's got to leave a mark on the other companies!!

info@jruslaw.com
Old 10-14-2010, 10:47 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a fairly easy process if you are looking for a Pcar. They almost all qualify for easy importation and are easy to find.

For other makes you need to do you research as Christian noted. DTRL and recall letters are good to learn about as well as how warranty issues will be handled.

Love the Guards Turbo...
Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

re: MDX

- no duty as far as I know, cause it's made in N America. unlike Pcars.
- warranty voided does kinda suck, as Honda/Acura dealerships seem to extend the warranty to applicable 'certified' cars to 100,000km....
- we would be looking for a vehicle in the 50-80K km mileage range, so their really isn't a whole lot of standard warranty left.

we'll see.....
Old 10-14-2010, 01:23 PM
997inTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
Its a fairly easy process if you are looking for a Pcar. They almost all qualify for easy importation and are easy to find.

For other makes you need to do you research as Christian noted. DTRL and recall letters are good to learn about as well as how warranty issues will be handled.

Love the Guards Turbo...
Thanks for the compliments on my Turbo! Yeah, I am looking at Mercedes and it seems like there is some savings!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 AM
leblangb
5th Gear

Importing Porsche is a no brainer, I got all the info necessary here and at 6speedonline.com
Saved 35%-40% on a 997 911.
BTW thanks to all people like Christien who have educated us for quite a while here at rennlist.
I flew down and drove back - New York to New Brunswick. A real no brainer....
recall letter, DRL change and the infamous 48hrs info (ie sales agreement, recall, ) faxed at the border before you get there...
Old 10-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Brought my 99 P-car in from Florida this past April. Let me know if you need any help.
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2010, 12:06 AM
997inTO
Racer

Thanks everyone for the input, I will look around and see what happens! My lease is not up untill Feb. That being said, my deal should be done before the end of Dec. the way I see it !
Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 AM
boxgal
Intermediate

Purchased my first Porsche through Jim at Dealer Auto in Del Ray Florida, Jim came highly recommended through a man I work with who has imported numerous vehicles through him. Numerous benefits to dealing with Jim. I saved about 10k on my Boxster and an associate of mine purchased a brand new caddy and saved close to 20k.
I would do it again in a heartbeat.
With the dollar where it is you can't go wrong! PM me if you would like his info.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche Canada is charging $500 for a recall clearance letter. A US dealer will give you a screen printout for nothing. Riv will accept these. I personally imported several vehicles over the last few years. I found out the warranty which was "voided" on my Dodge truck was still in effect in the states. You can tow to Buffalo if the trans fails.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to import a 96 993 C4S in, is a 14 years old car and I still need to recall clearance letter? Is Porsche Canada really charge $500 for the letter? If so should I go to US Porsche dealer to have it done?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Ray,
you will still need a recall clearance letter until the car is 15 years old from its date of manufacture (check the inside door jamb sticker for when it was made..it might already be 15 years old!)

Once the car is 15 years old you don't need to go thru RIV so you won't need the recall clearance letter. I think you will still have to goto crappy tire and do the DRL's and stuff though

Apparently a porsche dealer can print out the needed proof that recalls have been completed. If that doesn't work you an always call porsche canada and have them send one afterwards.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Not the Stig
5th Gear

Por$che Canada will steal $500.00 from you and do nothing but press print. Last year it was $1250.00!!! All the Por$che dealerships in Canada changed their websites to imply you had to go there to get their papal dispensation to use their Porsche in Canada, such a load of steaming offal I rarely have witnessed. I got my recall clearance, or Job management report, from the Porsche dealer in the US that did my PPI. No extra charge. The part RIV needs is usually a two page printout of the Porsche database (https:/ppn.porsche,com/bla bla bla) that Porsche dealers have access to. The most important bit is on page one (was on mine) after Warranty data. It is the Campaigns section with Scope and Status having equal numbers and the Stop sales column being zero, again that is what was on mine, the Porsche dealer even circled it for me and the RIV. As to the process, my 996 hit Canadian soil Tuesday Oct 12 2010 at ~9 am EST. The whole process to get plates on took me until Tuesday Oct 19th 2010 at about 10 am EST. Almost exactly 7 days to the hour! I could have shaved a day off if I had 'run a little harder' between the RIV, E-test and safety to get to the licensing office but I went the next day. Also Canada customs faxed the RIV Form 1 to RIV and it was illegible so I had to scan and copy it to them which took an extra day. RIV is VERY fast and VERY efficient. My sticker was on the way the day Canadian Tire passed my 996 and had already faxed forms to RIV. The last thing I had to fix (for me not RIV) was to get that darned lighter to stay in and not fire onto my passengers lap, or worse the seat . It is now perfect, gotta go eat some ricers......
Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
Once the car is 15 years old you don't need to go thru RIV so you won't need the recall clearance letter. I think you will still have to goto crappy tire and do the DRL's and stuff though
No, that's not right. If the car is RIV exempt is does NOT need DRLs, or any inspection at Canadian Tire. It will need a safety to be registered in Ontario (though DRLs are not part of that), and will need an e-test if it's a 1987 or later model.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:16 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christien
Some cars don't make sense to import - Lexus and Audi in particular (dealer has to change the speedos - $2-3000),
I just brought an 08 RS4 into Canada from California in May and it required $0 to federalize it. Audi didn't even charge for the recall letter. Speedo did not have to be changed.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Good to know - thanks. Maybe I was thinking of something else.

Quick Reply: Looking at importing from the USA.