Notices

2 post lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:38 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Overdraft,

That's your garage? - Sweet. Can u go into the cutting of the roof trusses to give extra clearance for the cab part of the top vehicle? I would like to do that to my garage, as right now the ceiling height is just a hair under 10'

Where's the garage door openner mounted?

@ Radcap,

Is the garage door openner mounted at the side.... looks like u have a spare rail on the garage door - leftover from the 'stock' installation?

Thx,
P
Old 09-24-2010, 04:46 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redcarman
I bought a 'Direct-Lift' 4 post lift recently from ADG Forward and I am really happy with it. Best lift for the price IMHO and way superior to the 4-post lift PA sells. Direct-Lift lifts are made in China but the company is a Division of Dover and is ALI Certified. I would suggest comparing the Direct-Lift 2 post lift (features and price) with the PA lift before you pull the trigger.
Thanks for this -- this proved really helpful, and their list price appears to be a bit lower than PA (enough so that I'm considering the 9,000 lb version).
Old 09-24-2010, 05:17 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

petee_c, I'm sure the owner will chime in ...but yes a normal garage door opener ( belt or chain ) doesn't need to be mounted in the center of the door. Since the door is on a tensioned rod - the lift attachment can be off centre and the door rolls fine. Information I got from garagejournal forums - that is how mine is mounted now.

BG
Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
Overdraft,

@ Radcap,

Is the garage door openner mounted at the side.... looks like u have a spare rail on the garage door - leftover from the 'stock' installation?

Thx,
P
He likely has a jackshaft opener like this...

Old 09-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could also be an offset drive, like this:
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 211 Posts

Overdraft,

That's your garage? - Sweet. Can u go into the cutting of the roof trusses to give extra clearance for the cab part of the top vehicle? I would like to do that to my garage, as right now the ceiling height is just a hair under 10'

@ Radcap,

Thx,
P
Petee - thanks...I love my garage. yes I did coffer the ceiling. I had 120" as well but wanted to create the coffer there so my Range Rover (soon to be Cayenne Turbo) could fit up there. I had an engineer alter my truss design and one of my guys re-framed it....then built the cove as you see it. The doors have side mounted drivers as Zedder has mentioned - same door as he has I think. I added a large mirror on the wall so I could drive up by myself, tool boxes, tire racks and cabinets. It is a wonderful place to spend a couple of hours goofing off with my cars. Will miss it if I have to move...
Old 09-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Rotary Revolution here. It's good stuff.
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2010, 02:01 AM
ross-g
Intermediate

rotory and bendpak make great lifts aamco has good lifts also 2 post lifts are what most profesional garages use so as long as you have someone install it correctly there should be no problems.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:43 AM
Radcap
Rennlist Member

My garage door opener is a side mounted shaft drive unit with both safety locks and security locks and that extra door rail you see is actually the rail for the middle bay of the garage and just a really bad pic.

All in all it works perfect and I am thinking of getting another one for the second bay...

Rod,
Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Petee - thanks...I love my garage. yes I did coffer the ceiling. I had 120" as well but wanted to create the coffer there so my Range Rover (soon to be Cayenne Turbo) could fit up there. I had an engineer alter my truss design and one of my guys re-framed it..........

Overdraft,

Can u ballpark how much it cost to get the drawings for the truss modification? Did it add a lot to the install price?

I'm fairly handy and a decent carpenter, just never hired an engineer before. I built my own shed, and learned about roof trusses from the library.

I think I would likely need to modify 3 (maybe 4) trusses to get the span needed.
-------
Anyone here a structural engineer? or recommendations for the Kitchener/Waterloo area?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Overdraft,

Can u ballpark how much it cost to get the drawings for the truss modification? Did it add a lot to the install price?

I'm fairly handy and a decent carpenter, just never hired an engineer before. I built my own shed, and learned about roof trusses from the library.

I think I would likely need to modify 3 (maybe 4) trusses to get the span needed.
-------
Anyone here a structural engineer? or recommendations for the Kitchener/Waterloo area?
Any structural engineer in your community would be able to do that - my guess (only a guess) $ 500.00 fee for the sketch and two inspections.

Yes agreed - not a big deal to do yourself - and fun enough. Well worth the effort when you see the greenhouse of your car or SUV tucked in there....
Old 09-28-2010, 11:27 AM
petee_c
Drifting

I took a look at my garage rafters last night ( no drywall in garage).... It is stick built, not prefab trusses...

Contemplating utility of a 2 post lift, vs the extra storage afforded by a 4 post lift..... Then I have to sell the idea to my wife.....

Won't be done this year.... Last year, I shoehorned in a Honda CRV, VW Jetta, Boxster, Snowmobile, and snowblower onto the floor space of our 3 car garage.....

I don't drive the boxster in the winter.

P
Old 09-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

I took a look at my garage rafters last night ( no drywall in garage).... It is stick built, not prefab trusses...

Contemplating utility of a 2 post lift, vs the extra storage afforded by a 4 post lift..... Then I have to sell the idea to my wife.....

Won't be done this year.... Last year, I shoehorned in a Honda CRV, VW Jetta, Boxster, Snowmobile, and snowblower onto the floor space of our 3 car garage.....

I don't drive the boxster in the winter.

P
Whatever you choose to do, couple it with "finishing" the drywall walls in your garage (aka painting) complete with some nice vehicular art work on the walls. Your wife will see the value in continuity between exterior and interior spaces...architectural language and all between the garage and her exceptional taste in the house - let her pick the colours and the Porsche artwork you are going to hang on the walls. If presented in this way, she'll totally get it....either that or just TELL her you're doing it....
Old 09-28-2010, 02:16 PM
petee_c
Drifting

@radcap

How did u decide on putting it in the 3rd bay? What's the height of your ceiling in there?

Our garage has a similiar roofline to the one in your avatar, It'll be harder (I think) to extra any extra height from the far bay.

I'm thinking the middle bay would work for me.... Still be able to keep some shelfing along the wall of the 3rd bay.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Radcap
Rennlist Member

The decision to put it in the 3rd bay was easy (although we have not ruled out an additional one in the middle bay). The door to the house is off the 1st bay and we have a couple trucks in the first 2, there is a 4 foot x 6 foot jut out off of the side of the 3rd bay with my work bench and additional storage so it made sense as we dont drive either car in the winter( and I can do some work on it as required) and the porsche is small enough to allow the tractor to tuck in behind against the door to allow plowing for the snow season. We have 11'10 for ceiling height on all 3 bays and 26 feet from front to back, 45 feet from side to side as there is 10 feet from the house to the first bay door. a big garage but never big enough. I is a bit of a temp situation as I would like to buile a stand-alone garage off to the right of the house for the toys at some point As it is heated and stays about 15C it is a great place to hide from real work
I can take some more specific pictures if you need,

Let me know,

Rod,

Quick Reply: 2 post lift