Notices
View Poll Results: What fuel do you use?
Shell V-power 91
89.33%
Sunoco Ultra 94
10.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

What do you use? 91octane V-Power or Sunoco Ultra 94

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:10 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
Quebec no longer has Sunoco stations.
PetroCanada is our source for 94 octane juice.
Odd how no one has mentioned that yet?
Suncor energy (sunoco) Purchased Petro canada over a year ago and have been doing a major rebrand strategy. Depending on market, Sunoco stations have been relabeled as Petro Canada and some as ESSO.
I would only suggest that Petro Canada has had a better brand following in Quebec and they're using that banner for the majority of rebrands.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperzz
I would only suggest that Petro Canada has had a better brand following in Quebec and they're using that banner for the majority of rebrands.

I would suggest they would sell more fuel if it were called, 'Petro Quebec'! Same reason behind no PQ sales of Molson Canadian...
Old 07-19-2010, 02:31 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget that Petro-Canada was Trudeau's baby, that could be why the brand has a more loyal following????
Old 07-19-2010, 07:12 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I get 10% to 15% higher mileage in both cars with V Power.
Actually higher octane should provide less mileage per liter. So I was told by the petroleum lab next floor up.

Higher octane does not produce more power, it enables an engine that needs it to produce more power. In an engine that does not ping on 89, putting 94 in the tank will not benefit you...so I have been told.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 273 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Actually higher octane should provide less mileage per liter. So I was told by the petroleum lab next floor up.

Higher octane does not produce more power, it enables an engine that needs it to produce more power. In an engine that does not ping on 89, putting 94 in the tank will not benefit you...so I have been told.
I can buy the 2nd point. However, even my better 1/2's SUV pings with lower octane fuel and it's supposedly made to run on regular. Try a regular vs premium mileage comparison on a trip sometime. Neither of my cars ping with V Power - maybe years in a hard rock band in high school explains this!! No doubt though that ethanol is dirty and yields significantly worse mileage. I'm going with the poll...and of course Phil's advice.......and also will try an octane booster out of curiousity during next autocross event.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:33 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXLR8

correct....higher octane will not create more power, it is part of heat management system in that it prevents pre-ignition.
a "fire cracker" engine especially with forced induction (turbo or s'charger) or very high compression creates tremendous heat so in addition to intercooler high octane gas is best friend (right up to 113/114 race gas). in a "normal car" pre ignition may result in a ping or worse a knock....in a high performance auto pre ignition will likely result in top end damage (burnt valve/scored piston).

No purpose in using higher octane / or adding boost juice if your car runs good on 92/94 octane.....whether its driven hard or not - exception may be enhanced boost on the forced induction system.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
correct....higher octane will not create more power, it is part of heat management system in that it prevents pre-ignition.
I use Shell V-Power 100 or at least Super Plus 98 in my motorcycle when riding around the Alps.

My engine is air/oil-cooled and at the lower speeds in the tight twisties, the cylinder heads I am sure get very hot, plus the loading during tight switchbacks (in too high a gear sometimes) and 20+ % grades....etc.

Quick Reply: What do you use? 91octane V-Power or Sunoco Ultra 94