Notices

2005 Porsche CarreraS engine failure

Old 07-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Turbodan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RollingArt View Post
You were given bad info.

The IMS bearing comes "sealed" with "permanent" lubrication. The idea being no lube go's in or out.

It's the RMS that suffers from non use, as Zookie's post pointed out.

Phil
this came from an after sales trainer who is on this board...he said the seal fails and then the oil drips out from nonuse.
Zookie: where does it say the car must be driven for warranty to be valid? I think that explanation sucks.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Zookie
Super User

Originally Posted by Turbodan View Post
this came from an after sales trainer who is on this board...he said the seal fails and then the oil drips out from nonuse.
Zookie: where does it say the car must be driven for warranty to be valid? I think that explanation sucks.
Try getting a New Battery Under Warranty because it died for not being used for a extended period of time.... trust me same rule applies...

"lack of normal vehicle use" & "Parts that fail due to lack of required maintenance" is all over the Factory & CPO Warranty Booklet
Old 07-04-2010, 07:19 PM
orangem
User

From so far of what I read, the IMS failure just "happens" (yeah, my car got an engine from that before). No particular reason whether you baby it or flog it every time.
I guess just drive the hell out of it till it blows up......
Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 PM
qik1320
User

If the car had missfire codes then it has nothing to do with the IMS, that means it has scored cylinder walls due to failing rings. About as common as IMS on 997 motors
Old 07-05-2010, 07:17 PM
rebe1
User

Still haven't gotten a complete answer yet due to my technician being on holidays last week, but they did pull the head to look at the cylinder walls...
Old 07-09-2010, 04:04 PM
JDSStudios
User

Please let us know.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 PM
ronnie993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan View Post
There`s been lots written on this in Excellence and use hasn`t been mentioned. Extremely high rates of RMS and IMS failure due to poor design has. I`m sure it`s not mentioned in the warranty so I don`t believe they could get away with not replacing it on this basis. Another easy court win. It`s absurd to expect many of these cars to not to have low mileage. They`re toys for ---- sake!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: