2005 Porsche CarreraS engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
You were given bad info.

The IMS bearing comes "sealed" with "permanent" lubrication. The idea being no lube go's in or out.

It's the RMS that suffers from non use, as Zookie's post pointed out.

Phil
this came from an after sales trainer who is on this board...he said the seal fails and then the oil drips out from nonuse.
Zookie: where does it say the car must be driven for warranty to be valid? I think that explanation sucks.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
this came from an after sales trainer who is on this board...he said the seal fails and then the oil drips out from nonuse.
Zookie: where does it say the car must be driven for warranty to be valid? I think that explanation sucks.
Try getting a New Battery Under Warranty because it died for not being used for a extended period of time.... trust me same rule applies...

"lack of normal vehicle use" & "Parts that fail due to lack of required maintenance" is all over the Factory & CPO Warranty Booklet
Old 07-04-2010, 07:19 PM
orangem
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From so far of what I read, the IMS failure just "happens" (yeah, my car got an engine from that before). No particular reason whether you baby it or flog it every time.
I guess just drive the hell out of it till it blows up......
Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 PM
qik1320
Intermediate

If the car had missfire codes then it has nothing to do with the IMS, that means it has scored cylinder walls due to failing rings. About as common as IMS on 997 motors
Old 07-05-2010, 07:17 PM
rebe1
Racer

Still haven't gotten a complete answer yet due to my technician being on holidays last week, but they did pull the head to look at the cylinder walls...
Old 07-09-2010, 04:04 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Please let us know.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
There`s been lots written on this in Excellence and use hasn`t been mentioned. Extremely high rates of RMS and IMS failure due to poor design has. I`m sure it`s not mentioned in the warranty so I don`t believe they could get away with not replacing it on this basis. Another easy court win. It`s absurd to expect many of these cars to not to have low mileage. They`re toys for ---- sake!

Quick Reply: 2005 Porsche CarreraS engine failure