Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   2005 Porsche CarreraS engine failure (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/577669-2005-porsche-carreras-engine-failure.html)

rebe1 07-03-2010 05:13 PM

2005 Porsche CarreraS engine failure

I had been receiving the check engine light since winter and have been bringing it into the dealership to have them look at it (one time they changed the ignition coils). This last time I brought it in however, the computer was spitting out engine failure codes and they told me that I require a replacement engine (the car has 63k km's on it)

PCNA authorized the replacement (luckily my car was CPO'd) and the car should be done by next week.

BTW, I'm assuming it was an IMS failure, but will get more details next week.

Also, being without the car, I realize just how much I take how the car drives for granted, which will happen again probably a week after I get it back :(.

Turbodan 07-03-2010 05:26 PM

did the car sit for any exended amount of time? I was told IMS only happens to cars that sit for a long time as the gear oil drips out when sitting for long times.
anyway good luck. which dealership is doing the work?

jdistefa 07-03-2010 06:45 PM

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Sputter 07-03-2010 07:45 PM

If it was a ims bearing failure, the engine would be scrap and it wouldn't run. (you'd know it).
If you posted the codes that would help narrow it down.
Good deal that you're getting a new engine,it will still be luck of the draw on having ims issue in the future.

Christien 07-03-2010 09:36 PM

IMS = seal. That can lead to a complete engine failure? WTF?

Sputter 07-03-2010 10:48 PM

RMS = seal

Originally Posted by Christien (Post 7708005)
IMS = seal. That can lead to a complete engine failure? WTF?

Imo000 07-03-2010 11:13 PM

That's too bad but I was hoping this was a tread for my next project. :)

ekam 07-04-2010 12:32 AM

My IMS gave up a month ago... engine just stalled on the highway with no check engine lights, not fun.

Speedyellow993 07-04-2010 01:43 AM

Well all the Porsche Guys say IMS is a 5% chance.......

Sure hell doesnt seem that way !!!

Zookie 07-04-2010 02:13 AM

There is a thread on 6speed about a guy in Southern US with a CPO'd 997S, he had a RMS Leak took it in to the Dealer and Porsche Denied to replace the RMS Under Warranty. Porsche Germany told the Dealer car had not been Driven enough hence the Leak so the Warranty Claim was Denied. Apprently the Owner only put 200 miles in 6 months. I dont blame Porsche for Dening the Claim, i think its a Legit Reason.

rebe1 07-04-2010 01:07 PM

Maybe two winters ago, but I would still drive it here and there? This last winter, I've only not used this car for 2 weeks total. DFC is doing the work.

Originally Posted by Turbodan (Post 7707549)
did the car sit for any exended amount of time? I was told IMS only happens to cars that sit for a long time as the gear oil drips out when sitting for long times.
anyway good luck. which dealership is doing the work?

rebe1 07-04-2010 01:07 PM

hahah :)

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 7708191)
That's too bad but I was hoping this was a tread for my next project. :)

rebe1 07-04-2010 01:10 PM

Been putting on 14-15K KM a year on it. Not a lot, but not too little either. PCNA had to authorize the replacement, which they did, and the engine arrived within a week.

Originally Posted by Zookie (Post 7708464)
There is a thread on 6speed about a guy in Southern US with a CPO'd 997S, he had a RMS Leak took it in to the Dealer and Porsche Denied to replace the RMS Under Warranty. Porsche Germany told the Dealer car had not been Driven enough hence the Leak so the Warranty Claim was Denied. Apprently the Owner only put 200 miles in 6 months. I dont blame Porsche for Dening the Claim, i think its a Legit Reason.

rebe1 07-04-2010 01:11 PM

I'll get a proper explaination this week of why the engine was replaced.

Originally Posted by Sputter (Post 7707859)
If it was a ims bearing failure, the engine would be scrap and it wouldn't run. (you'd know it).
If you posted the codes that would help narrow it down.
Good deal that you're getting a new engine,it will still be luck of the draw on having ims issue in the future.

RollingArt 07-04-2010 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Turbodan (Post 7707549)

You were given bad info.

The IMS bearing comes "sealed" with "permanent" lubrication. The idea being no lube go's in or out.

It's the RMS that suffers from non use, as Zookie's post pointed out.

Phil