Notices

Targa 4 gets run over by the Star

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Targa 4 gets run over by the Star

Article from the Wheels section of the Toronto Star Titled 'Good Brands/Bad Cars'

2010 Porsche 911 Targa4

If we take such aberrations as the Cayenne and Panamera out of the picture, Porsche’s sports car lineup has always been at the top of enthusiasts’ lists for pure driving pleasure.

While Porschephiles argue the merits of the nimble, mid-engine Boxster/Cayman tandem, others debate the iconic, rear-engine 911 Carrera as the cat’s pajamas when it comes to driving thrills.

Yet, even within the 911 family, there’s a weak link: its name is Targa4.

Don’t let the Targa name fool you. Instead of a simple, removable roof panel like before, there’s now a complicated big hunk of glass that powers back, laying on top of another piece of glass. Not only does this distort the view out back, the box that holds the roof’s sunblind blocks rear vision as well. And the whole rig simply adds weight high in the car, exactly where every engineer will tell you that you don’t want it.

Throw in Targa4’s all-wheel-drive system that saps feel from the front wheels, and this is the sole 911 variant that can be left in the garage, thank you very much.
http://www.wheels.ca/reviews/article/786423
Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

well what do non porsche owners know about porsches...
Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I've driven a Targa and I liked it.

Can't say I'd buy one but I did like it.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a dumb ***! It's under 100lbs difference in weight. I don't know of any Canadian journalist is skilled enough to notice that weight difference.

I guess this review makes the C4s and the Turbo garbage with the AWD system too.

Last edited by Speedyellow993; 06-16-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: iPhone Typo
Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

took them 15 years to get to review a glass top targa?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
I guess this review males the C4s and the Turbo garbage with the AWS system too.
GOD DAME IT!!! DONT SAY THAT!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Perhaps a Targa wouldn't be the first choice for a race car whose driver is at 10/10ths all the time, but I'm pretty sure that the performance of ANY modern Porsche is only limited by the driving skills and capabilities of the average journo. Lots of hot air in that article.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't know of any Canadian journalist is skilled enough to notice that weight difference.
I was one and I can tell you you're spot on with that comment.

I can't tell you how many times I've followed some guy down a twisting road in Spain or wherever on a car launch only to hear his describe squealing tires (with zero slip angle) as a "drift". LOL.

Targa is a great product and, having enjoyed one for a week here and there, it's an easy car to start to love and makes for a great DD. Not every car needs to be a thrill ride but most of these guys don't get that.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

What a dumb ***! It's under 100lbs difference in weight. I don't know of any Canadian journalist is skilled enough to notice that weight difference.

I guess this review makes the C4s and the Turbo garbage with the AWD system too.
Funny thing is that in the MY10 owners manual the Targa 4S is lighter then the C4S coupe by 50lbs. Still though they both are over 3500 lbs cars unless you throw on PCCB's but what is the point in that. For better performance and a lighter car I would prefer a 996TT.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:40 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

When getting the inside scoop on the travails of being an instructor, journalists are frequently mentioned as being "difficult students". The quotation is heavily censored.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:25 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok my Targa's a 996, so not a 4. But I had it out on some back roads today, top open, windows down, winding her up ... one sweet ride! Frankly I've never noticed the weight in the roof, even before I added the pss9s and sway bars. And the roof glass slides under the rear glass, it doesn't lie on top of it.
Double back window ??..... pfft!! If we was driving the car the way he was supposed to he wouldn't need a rear view mirror
Road & Track did a comparison some years ago. The Targa was 0.1 second slower to 60 than the coupe.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 PGH 1
Ok my Targa's a 996, so not a 4. But I had it out on some back roads today, top open, windows down, winding her up ... one sweet ride! Frankly I've never noticed the weight in the roof, even before I added the pss9s and sway bars. And the roof glass slides under the rear glass, it doesn't lie on top of it.
Double back window ??..... pfft!! If we was driving the car the way he was supposed to he wouldn't need a rear view mirror
Road & Track did a comparison some years ago. The Targa was 0.1 second slower to 60 than the coupe.
Trust me...you do not need to rebut the opinion of a car reviewer. You like your car...that's all that matters. At the end of the day they have to write something and editors are always asking for negative review so they don't look bought off by the car compnies. Trust me...I've been there.

Is a Targa as fast as a C4? Nope. Does that matter? Nope.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:48 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we should publiicize this as much as possible so we can drive down the prices of C4 Targas. Personally I think they are a fantastic car and I would love to own one... so if the used price drops I may just buy one. I would happily drive a car journalists hate.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:48 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

see.... the Targa is WAY heavy with the roof .. now I am finally justified for never having mine in
Old 06-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
I think we should publiicize this as much as possible so we can drive down the prices of C4 Targas. Personally I think they are a fantastic car and I would love to own one... so if the used price drops I may just buy one. I would happily drive a car journalists hate.
I think that has already happened. The amount I was offered for my 08 Targa made we want to puke. Fortunately, my father decided it was worth more than that, so he is now the proud driver of an 08 Targa.

I had 10 track days on the Targa, and I was keeping up with the C2S with no problem (but I will say the RS is a completely different animal on the track, and much more enjoyable). On the street, I've never pushed the limits of either, even in my most spirited driving.

Given how many convertible tops I've bought over the year because people slashed my top either for spite or for the loose change in the ashtray, I think of the targa as 80/20 convertible. 80% of the benefits and 20% of the hassles, (recognizing, of course, that the Chicago weather limits the utility of a full convertible).

Quick Reply: Targa 4 gets run over by the Star