Notices

For those who parade around Yorkville

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default For those who parade around Yorkville

I was in conversation with a very beautiful and charming young woman yesterday and the conversation turned to those individuals who drive slowly around the Yorkville Cumberland block in their cars (Porsche, Ferrari etc).
She observed that they are usually alone and wanting to attract attention.
She and her friends term this activity as "Loser Laps" Obviously, this activity is counterproductive.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you had this conversation did you get out of your Porsche and talk or did you just whistle her over to your car?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:55 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Actually, she walked over and got in my car...
Unfortunately, not true. At the age of 62, those days seemed to have passed me by.
My beautiful wife, however, still attracts attention and has business cards left under her windshield wipers.
Left myself wide open for that comment...very amusing.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It happens everywhere. Here in Ottawa we get guys rolling down the market on the evening weekends. I have been in said position before but usually it's looking for a parking spot. The car gets a fair share of looks but to be perfectly honest it's more embarrassing than anything. I used to think it would be 'cool' to get attention in a 'sweet' car but that grew old really fast. Only thing I really appreciate now is a car guy/girl coming by and asking questions about the car randomly. I enjoy an exchange with any car/bike enthusiast.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:48 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Porsches attract more attention from teen gearheads than women. When I had my Benzes, women from teen through milf to cougars would look the car over and say things like "nice car!"...my wife wasn't impressed; much prefers the Porsche.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

When I was in university I used to live downtown Kingston, right on the main street. We'd always hear the same losers, night after night, in their POS beat up 80s camaros and firebirds drag racing from one stop light to the next. We figured it was like spam - it must work at least some of the time if they keep doing it over and over and over and over and....

We used to question whether or not you'd really want to pick up the kind of girl attracted by that, but then we saw the guys doing it...
Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Those women you were talking to were Lesbians... Besides you have to drive slowly around Yorkville, we got Hobo's and Homo Cyclists to avoid scratching the paint on my car...
Old 06-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree re Porsches not attracting women. The best car I ever had for that purpose was the Smart ForTwo when it came out first. You could not drive a block without people questioning it. Of course, prefect for a Yorkville lap as it took half an hour in top gear
Old 06-08-2010, 02:45 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Cruising down "main street" is a past time. Happens all the time. Back in the 80's (as a teenager) we used to cruise up and down Young st (turn around before the 401.

In my nearby muscle town (Oshawa) there is a route, that the gearheads would do laps around..It would take 1/2 hour or so, and ended at the beach..just hang out there long enough, and you would see the same cars coming around. The perfect place to pick up a drag race or two.. back when racing for beer money was acceptable and fun... uhhmmm don't ask how I know this..

Like the song...

"You can only drive down main street so many times"
Old 06-08-2010, 04:24 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

True story: I was reading a magazine on the rocks on Cumberland and saw a lambo with an aging Italian driving it. He must have driven down the road 10+ times. On the 11th time, he drove by with a gorgeous blond in the passenger seat. It's an ugly process, but it bears fruit once in a while!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
NITEALB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive done the loser lap, ending up picking up a hot chick on the second lap. unfortunately it was my wife with lots of shopping and a plastic card that seemed very similar to my credit card.....
Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by NITEALB
Ive done the loser lap, ending up picking up a hot chick on the second lap. unfortunately it was my wife with lots of shopping and a plastic card that seemed very similar to my credit card.....
+1
Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Granger968
Rennlist Member

What I seem to get the most of is squeegees, punks and various squaters at red lights giving me the "Yooo sweet ride dude! Sick wheels!"

I think somehow I'm attracting the wrong crowd...
Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

really? loser laps burn gas in a not so fun way. just pull into a timmies and use ur rear wing as a coffee bench. if ur in the right suburb you won't have to do anything at all. and if it doesn't pull, at least u got an iced cap and a chance to laugh at cavaliers with fart cans
Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Quick Reply: For those who parade around Yorkville