Notices

Bikers with Road Rage - My Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

The problem with Bicylles is often they want it both ways .. they wanted to be treated like traffic when it is advantages for them, and then pedestrians when it is the advantage. Then when someone doesn't agree they start waving there bicycle pump around .. if your a vehicle your a vehicle and stop riding up dividing lines and between traffic .. Bicyclist break more traffic rules in 1km of Toronto traffic than motorists do in a thousand.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:20 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonathan you are the most level-headed guy I know. Be that me in the car, there would be a biker war now. Kudos for not getting involved with the moron. Egos heal quicker than flesh. Glad you are ok.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 AM
PPo
Drifting

I don't think I could have refrained from gently knocking over his bike with my car to ensure he sticks around, or at the very least his bike gets damaged. The biggest tradegy is that this nutcase walks away without penalty... if you decided to drive away when he was holding your arm, it would sound like a similar story in the media we all know well.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:41 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks to everybody for the kind words! I must say that the support of the Rennlist community is outstanding.

Update: I sourced a new driver's side mirror at a shop in the west end and after negotiating the price down slightly decided I am going to pick it up on my way home from work today! Hopefully will have it repaired before tomorrow's GTG - which reminds me, Stan are you going to be there? I have the clothing catalogs (which are somewhat destroyed after a month in my trunk).

Back on topic...

PPo, if he had been inflicting any significant harm I would have driven away to shake him off (what else do you do when some wacko is hanging through your window trying to harm you?) In fact, my transmission was in "drive" the whole time. Thank god I didn't have to, because I don't need to follow in Bryant's footsteps! While it is annoying that he may "walk away", I think that in the long run he will pay. You can't drive a bike like that in city traffic and not. Who knows, maybe the whole situation will open his eyes. If so, it was worth the altercation.

BG, I agree that it would be a waste of both mine and the courts time. In the end, I think the cost of the mirror is a small price to pay for the life lesson that I have learned.

Stan, thanks to this community the ego is pretty much healed!

Ice, I agree - many cyclists have zero respect for the motorists that share the road with them and wonder why there is such animosity between the 2 groups. I don't understand, when I ride a bike on the same road as cars I'm double checking every direction, because if I get hit it doesn't matter who's right or wrong, I'm going to be the one in the hospital.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:02 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I'd file charges.
There are enough wacko's out there getting away with stuff.
He must have been flying. As a cop once said to me "you could have stopped in time if you were going the speed limit"
Old 05-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

porscheOnut:

If you're inclined to report it, you could give the info to the police and let them (and possibly the Crown) decide whether to pursue it. It seems that what he did is at least a common assault, which is a fairly big deal in the legal world. They have their priorities, given the resources they have, and crotch rocket riders, or road rage incidents, might be one of them

I rode motorcycles for many years, but it still scares me when these guys come out of nowhere. I don't do lane changes if any biker is behind, or beside me, and assuming I know they're there.

Last edited by Rinty; 05-28-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you could post his plate number in here.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:35 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

It's one thing to voice displeasure at another's driving, it's entirely another thing when they get physical. If it was me I woulda poked his eyes out.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:13 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Originally Posted by pontifex4
You really should file a police report if you haven't. What if he flips out on someone else and there's a trial over it? Reporting it now might very well prevent him from getting a slap on the wrist later for something more serious. Also, that was crazy. Way to play the situation smart.
Smart of you to keep your composure and not have it escalate into something more violent, these days you never know who you are dealing with or the status of their current mental state. I am not a push over or take threats or abuse lightly, but would like to think I would have reacted much the same as you did. We are not teenageres anymore (well, most of us) so getting into a street fight is childish and stupid, maybe the other guy felt he had nothing to lose?

As others have said, report it. Have it documented with the proper authorities because chances are if he was set off by something like this (I don't seee any wrong doing on your part) he will put someone else in this position some day. And when he does get caugh, a previous report could make all the difference in judging his character if all they have is his word against anothers, some people need to understand and be tought that they cant go around acting like this, it is no different tan being a bully.

Glad you were not seriously hurt, thats the main thing. Keep your chin up, you behaved like a normal human being should have.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2 cents worth a million bucks.

Originally Posted by BGregovski
First off, good for you and your staying calm in a situation such as that. You never know to what level some one like that is willing to go to ( read concealed weapon, or weapon of opportunity). Second, YES you should report the incident - you say you have a marker, so again yes even if the traffic guys can stop the bike and ID the rider (which is why traffic stops help,-another subject ). As for assault, the difficulty is in the identity, if the rider was wearing a full face helmet could you recognize that individual without the helmet. Conviction if you could identify the rider would more than likely have a very disappointing out come for most. The level of this assault is very, very minor - and could be considered a waste of courts time as well. so even getting to trial might be difficult.
just my .02

BG
For some reason I give these TWO CENTS quite a but more value.

Its Bull Shi_ that it happened to you but no worries...one day the rider will do it to the wrong person.....

like our EX- attorney general
Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the bike driver just released how dangerous it is to drive fast in the city and he almost got himself killed and he wasn't about to blame himself.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

report it. chances are he beats his wife as well and she'd like to see him get some back.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Had you been a former AG, you would solve the problem this way: you hit the gas, swerve into oncoming traffic, drag the person along, (you fear for your life of course) you cross the road and driving along a sidewalk, you neatly 'clean' the issue from your car against many solid objects.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:01 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Had you been a former AG, you would solve the problem this way: you hit the gas, swerve into oncoming traffic, drag the person along, (you fear for your life of course) you cross the road and driving along a sidewalk, you neatly 'clean' the issue from your car against many solid objects.
There was a streetcar nearby, could have used that!

For anybody interested, red motorcycle with number plate:

9719H

As for my car, the mirror is better than it was before and I only spent $50 on parts! Will post some pictures of my work when I get the chance. (This may be awhile, I still haven't "had the chance" to post the pics from Hershey!) It was fun taking apart my drivers-side door, I enjoyed having an excuse to take apart my car!

Quick Reply: Bikers with Road Rage - My Story