Notices

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Avatar says it all...

Just a quick rant.
Had the absolute displeasure and frustration of driving a truck home to Brockville from Toronto today.
Even though I was driving a 16ft Cube Van with a 120Km/hr governor, I got held up behind no less than 20 idiots hogging the fast lane for absolutely no reason.
On the 3 lane stretch, where it is actually illegal for me to drive in the 3rd lane because of size, I got held up behind the "centre lane cruisers".
No amount of flashing would clue these bozos in to reality.
Even had a couple get indignant with me for flashing them to get over.
In almost every case I resorted to taking my chances of getting caught in the 3rd lane, or passing on the right.

On the upside, I saw a whole pile of beautiful P-Cas while I was in T.O.

cheers
Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

My observation.... There are as many Ontarian left lane hoggers as there are Quebec potholes.

;-)
Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

only in Ontario... Welcome
Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I feel your pain... every single morning on the 401. Even though I'm on it between 6:30 and 7 going OUT of town... there's never an idiot-free drive. I consider it a good day if I only use my horn 3 times in a morning.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

yah happens in the left lane all the time cruising under the speed limit...not sure what they are thinking. it is so bad that I expect it now and usually just wait as long as it takes to get by and sometimes flash lights but don't get excited...otherwise I would have a heart attack everytime I got on the highway...at least we have Mosport! between them and the cops you can't win anymore
Old 05-19-2010, 01:54 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The idiots must sleep in. I cruise the DVP at 05:00 if you can't handle 110 in the slow lane, better get off the highway. Fast lane is for movers. Hard to keep up at 120. Been doing this start time for a year now.

They all come out on my way home though. Yeeesh. 1 hr to work, 1:45 to go home.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:30 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I was told that passing another car on the right is OK in Ontario. Is this correct?

Passing on the right here in Quebec is frowned upon. Oddly, not using flashers won't raise any eyebrows in Montreal.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
I was told that passing another car on the right is OK in Ontario. Is this correct?
Yes we do things backwards here...its the old British influence kicking in... lol

The right lane is usually the only lane that is open for miles...so you have no choice but to pass from the right!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:09 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This morning (allow me to get this out) some idiot in a hyundai accent on the 401 is up ahead in the far left lane, and nobody in front of him (I'm on the big right-handed downhill curve westbound before Winston Churchill). A truck in the centre lane, and that's it. I flash as I approach him because he's barely going faster than the truck. I see him look back in the rear-view mirror, and he continues in the left lane. When he gets to the front of the truck, the self-righteous ***** brakes and matches his speed with the truck, boxing me in!

I wish I had that truck in Zookie's Gumball video... maybe a little shove would teach him that it's no skin off his back to let me pass...
Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Your not alone, we have our fair share of left lane slow pokes out here in Alberta. They drive at or under the speed limit and flat out refuse to move over to the right lane. I fail to understand their trend of thought; I'm not concerned with why others are speeding. I just want to get out of their way and not give them a reason to do something unsafe trying to get around me. I'm not saying I don't occasionally speed but I do pull over to the right lane and allow others that want to go fast a safe route around my vehicle.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:39 PM
michel944
Pro

I have to say that it is not that bad in the Quebec City area, people generally behave well in the left lane !
Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Steve Martin
Pro

Originally Posted by irobertson
Just a quick rant.
Had the absolute displeasure and frustration of driving a truck home to Brockville from Toronto today.
Even though I was driving a 16ft Cube Van with a 120Km/hr governor, I got held up behind no less than 20 idiots hogging the fast lane for absolutely no reason.
On the 3 lane stretch, where it is actually illegal for me to drive in the 3rd lane because of size, I got held up behind the "centre lane cruisers".
No amount of flashing would clue these bozos in to reality.
Even had a couple get indignant with me for flashing them to get over.
In almost every case I resorted to taking my chances of getting caught in the 3rd lane, or passing on the right.

On the upside, I saw a whole pile of beautiful P-Cas while I was in T.O.

cheers

With a 16 ft cube van you are fine to use the third lane. 6.3 m is the limit for length. ever see an 18 wheeler use that lane? I see it all the time. (wont ever admit to it though. Just hang out on an over pass in St Catherines(QEW)construction. bet you can count one a minute in that lane....
Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Drivers are Boring here... Only if we could see some of this on a random day, then it would be fun to drive on the HWY 401... but then drivers would throw a Hissy Fit over here anyways...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pezC...layer_embedded
Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

who wants to try this on the newly Paved Gardner? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72nIym1_JD4
Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

There is something troubling on the OP . A cube van max'd at 120 is flashing lights at cars in the centre lane. If I read that right. Thats just wrong. The left lane (#1) is for overtaking only and no one should be driving in it unless overtaking. The the other two are driving lanes, because in Ontario it is perfectly legal to pass on the right (if it is safe to do so) then drivers are well within their rights to drive at the speed limit in either n.2 or n.3. Driving at 120 in a cube van and flashing lights is aggressive driving.

Quick Reply: Avatar says it all...