Notices

Crappy Breaks on a CPO Car?? (Need your opinion)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Several stops of increasing severity with a brief cooling period between them...
do not come to a complete stop, so plan where and when you do this procedure with care and concern for yourself and the safety of others. If you come to a complete stop before the break-in process is completed there is the chance for non-uniform pad material transfer or pad imprinting to take place and the results will be what the whole process is trying to avoid. Game over.
Highlighted for emphasis, just in case this isn't clear from Jumper's explanation. During the process of bedding the pads in you should NOT allow the car to slow below about 10km/h at any time. DO NOT come to a complete stop until the end of the process.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 280 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I would expect a cpo car to come with OEM pads period. they should pay for 2 sets of oem pads. ask them if they would sell a cpo car with cheap aftermarket wheels...don't think so and this is a safety issue, not acceptable and if they give an issue complain to porsche canada
+1!!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:59 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You had cheap pads... buy a good set of pads, replace the fluid, and bed them in while driving to the track. Check the rotor tolerances, if they are close to done replace them...otherwise leave them.

If you want to drive the car on the track get used to buying new pads, tires, rotors etc.

The dealer owes you nothing. On the street, with normal driving, those pads would have lasted a long time. If it was your first time on the track, you where probably overusing your brakes. Now go get a decent set of pads, and put the whole experience behind you... it is not worth the effort to even call the dealer... besides if you tell them you track the car, they will use it as an excuse when other stuff breaks...

Good luck...
Old 05-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Stock OEM pads don't last worth a **** on the track if driven at a moderate to fast pace.

Calabogie is intensive on brakes and tires and a CMP day offers lots of on track time.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Vipola - I do not believe you need new rotors. Pads glaze, rotors do not! You need better pads - Pagid Rs 29 or 19 all around. You need better brake fluid, Motul RBF 660. Break in your pads properly before goingto the track. See www.stoptech.com for instructions on how to bed new pads.

See you Monday!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:54 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Track driving will void pretty much everything. Now a story of aggressive street driving might work better for your situation
Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 AM
vipola
Racer

Thanks all for your Input.. I will take the time this week-end to do a proper break-in to these new brakes.. (they will be installed on Friday)

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Vipola - I do not believe you need new rotors. Pads glaze, rotors do not! You need better pads - Pagid Rs 29 or 19 all around. You need better brake fluid, Motul RBF 660. Break in your pads properly before goingto the track. See www.stoptech.com for instructions on how to bed new pads.

See you Monday!
Thanks bob, he told me that my rotors were close enought to limit that it was just best to changes them now with the pad..

About the Pads, unfortunally the Pagid Blue are back order and he could'nt have them in in time to install them before tremblant, and the Pagid Yellow are probably too race oriented for this car that I drive every day (Daily Drive all Summer + about 12 Track Day this summer).. So he will probably put me the OEM one for this year, and next time I'll upgrade to the blue ones..

I'm getting all this installed on Friday (tomorrow), very last minute, just in case the Blue Pad show up today or tomorrow.. I'll cross my fingers.. But I will definitely be ready for tremblant
Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 AM
vipola
Racer

Just a Question about Brake break-in.. in the first website they say that after a few 90->10km/h.. smoke will come out of the pad.. will this really happen with my car?!? I never seen smoke come out of brakes.. :P
Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 AM
webbie
Pro

you might not see the smoke, but you will smell it for sure. Try harder
Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by vipola
I'm getting all this installed on Friday (tomorrow), very last minute, just in case the Blue Pad show up today or tomorrow.. I'll cross my fingers.. But I will definitely be ready for tremblant
Have fun! Be safe... go with an open mind to learn... ask questions... and don't be afraid to drive in the rain.

P

Quick Reply: Crappy Breaks on a CPO Car?? (Need your opinion)