Notices

Crappy Breaks on a CPO Car?? (Need your opinion)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:10 AM
vipola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy Breaks on a CPO Car?? (Need your opinion)

Hi all, I need your opinion on this frustrating situation

I just bought a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) Porsche Boxster S 2006 from a Porsche Dealer in Montreal this winter.. It as been my daily driving since spring, and I went to 1 cmp lapping day at Calabogie last month (I was'nt even driving agressive)..

First when I got the car, the brake where noisy as hell, I been told it was new breakpad and they would break in with the rotor when they would get hot. After a lapping day, nothing changed, but my brake pedal became all spongy..
So something else was going on..

I bring the car in (Not at the dealer) for a RennSport Safty and asked the guy to take a look at the break because I wasn't confortable with them at all..

He literally told me that the brake pad was cheaper than porsche oem ones, and they where so cheap they literally 'burned' and the brake fluid boiled.. He told me the brake pad and rotors were all glazed.. and that to hit the track safly, I would need to replace rotors+brakepad on the 4 wheels (and do a brake fluid flush obviously). By the way I really trust this garage, he got a really good reaputation with Rennsport, I know he's not tyring to do a money shoot out of me..

Now I'm on the rush to change the break because I'm going at Tremblant with Rennsport in a few days (Monday and Tuesday)..

I didn't even used the car for 3000 km since it's out of the dealer and I already need to spend all that money in replacing every rotor/pad on the car..

I bought a CPO Car because I wanted a peace of mind for the next few years, and avoid spending on unexpected expensive repairs...

I understand that CPO Warranty don't cover normal wear like brake, etc.. But I don't feel as this was my normal wear.. I feel very unconfortable spending that kind of money on my new car just because the dealer wanted to save a few bucks putting crappy brake pad on...

Should I expect better from a Porsche Dealer ?!?

I really feel like calling the dealer and giving them sh**t...

What do you think?
Any similar situation? how did it ended?
Is there a way I could get something covered by the dealer??
What should I expect or ask to the dealer??

Thanks...

- Dan
Old 05-18-2010, 11:18 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should expect better from a Porsche dealer - but it may have been the previous owner that put them on. Since you've changed your brakes already, I highly doubt that they'll be able to do much for you.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree...since it's a wear and tear item, the dealer will tell you what you don't
want to hear...I think a lapping day at a track is the culprit to frying your
brakes regardless if you pushed it or not. This calls for a sweet brake upgrade!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM
vipola
Racer

Well they told me the Dealer manager drove the car on the track in the fall at their Dealer lapping day.. so was it me or him ?!? :P
The car had R888 tire on, can't belive someone would put those kind of tire on with bad breaks.. I'm pretty sure it's some brake pad that the dealer put there just to sell the car..
Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

The problem is you just don't know what was done before but sure sounds like the main issue was air in the lines. A simple bleading or a full flush would have put the brakes back to the way they felt before the track.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:33 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Without breaking in new pads and rotors properly you will ruin them if you go to the track specially when your using competition type tires. If the manager did go to the track with brand spanking new pad and rotors then he probably screwed them up.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:38 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Whenever I buy a used car, regardless of CPO, etc. I always assume the car will need rotors, pads, brake fluid and tires. Sometimes, I even replace the wheels to be safe. You save so much buying used, that it's worth it to replace those key safety items.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Without breaking in new pads and rotors properly you will ruin them if you go to the track specially when your using competition type tires. If the manager did go to the track with brand spanking new pad and rotors then he probably screwed them up.
So what sould be a resonable break in period for you ? (so I'll be sure I don't crew up my new ones :P)
Old 05-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

I would expect a cpo car to come with OEM pads period. they should pay for 2 sets of oem pads. ask them if they would sell a cpo car with cheap aftermarket wheels...don't think so and this is a safety issue, not acceptable and if they give an issue complain to porsche canada
Old 05-18-2010, 01:41 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by vipola
So what sould be a resonable break in period for you ? (so I'll be sure I don't crew up my new ones :P)
i've never been to tremblant, but if u're still worried about your new brakes (not breaks), then maybe do a warm up lap, then a hot lap, and then a cool down lap for the 1st bit, until your patience wears out....

Alternatively if the track is crowded, it might be more courteous to come off your hot lap and drive around the parking lot or something to cool the brakes....

Just conjecturing a possible option.

Have fun at the track,
Peter
Old 05-18-2010, 01:55 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd talk to the dealer. I'm reasonably doubtful that you need new rotors unless they were aftermarket and warped from the heat.

Oem pads should hold up to most novice drivers. Either way, I would have recommended a fluid change before the track day with some higher heat stuff.

If you want a second opinion, come by the shop. I'll take a look and let you know.

PM me for details.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:00 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Several stops of increasing severity with a brief cooling period between them. After the last stop, the system should be allowed to cool to ambient temperature. Typically, a series of ten increasingly hard stops from 90km h to 10 kmh with normal acceleration in between should get the job done for a high performance street pad.
Start with a few medium pedal pressure near-stops (to about 10 kmh) from ~50kmh, then move up to heavy pressure at ~90kmh for 4-5 more. Let them completely cool (only a few minutes from these speeds. It's best to keep moving very slowly while cooling, but if you park do not engage the parking brake!). This allows the pads to settle into the calipers and begin depositing pad material to the rotor.

Then warm them back up with 3-4 medium near-stops from ~50kmh again, followed by 6-8 very heavy stops (near ABS onset) from 90+kmh. Once again, let them cool completely.

Pads should be primed now for repeated heavy stops without glazing!

During pad or disc break-in, do not come to a complete stop, so plan where and when you do this procedure with care and concern for yourself and the safety of others. If you come to a complete stop before the break-in process is completed there is the chance for non-uniform pad material transfer or pad imprinting to take place and the results will be what the whole process is trying to avoid. Game over.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:55 PM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I would expect a cpo car to come with OEM pads period. they should pay for 2 sets of oem pads. ask them if they would sell a cpo car with cheap aftermarket wheels...don't think so and this is a safety issue, not acceptable and if they give an issue complain to porsche canada
This is exactly the way I see it.. I'll probably try to work it out that way..

As for the break-in period, I guess a few 'daily driving' and the ride from Gatineau to Tremblant will do the job Specially that it's my first time at Tremblant so I'll be learning the track..

atr911: don't worry, the brake fluid will be changed, thanks again for your service offer
Old 05-18-2010, 03:46 PM
swbatte
Pro

Brakes on a performance car like yours should be seated in like Jumper suggests. It matches the pads to the rotors and the heat cycles help the longevity of your new brakes. This should be done on all new brakes for a Porsche.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:10 PM
webbie
Pro

As for the break-in period, I guess a few 'daily driving' and the ride from Gatineau to Tremblant will do the job Specially that it's my first time at Tremblant so I'll be learning the track..
Bed-in the brake is not the same as driving on the street. Jumper outlined the exact procedure.

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ost/Bed-in?v=2

Quick Reply: Crappy Breaks on a CPO Car?? (Need your opinion)