Notices

Going to pick up my car in Buffalo...wish me luck.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm back and have the car to show for it. The ordeal wasn't too bad however there is so many people out there (dealerships, MVD's, Customs, MTO, etc) that provide erroneous information to us unsuspecting importers. My visit to the DMV in Niagara Falls NY was really uneventful even though I was sweating while there. Please remember you must have a letter from your insurance company not the pink slip to be able to get a temp tag or in-transit tag!

US Customs was great...although while there two ladeis had a issue as they couldn't find her fax. Canadian Customs was good as well and happily took my few thousand dollars with a smile.

You must have a temp tag to get through customs. The Customs Agent wrote the number down on the little yellow ticket I had to bring with me into Canadian Customs.

Pics to follow.

Dan
Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian 162
I came through Lewiston this morning.As long as you have the proper paperwork the process was painless. They didn't even look at the vehicle. The staff on the US side were very helpful.
The Canadian side was just as easy. Paid the fees and I was on my way.
I'm now working on the RIV portion. I went to the office in person and got the Form 2 doccument.
As far as the plate goes I have a North Carolina temp. tag.
US Customs came out to compare the VIN on the car vs the documentation otherwise no one looked at it anyf urther.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:46 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info in this thread, but how do you drive the car home if you are purchasing a car from private sale.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Originally Posted by 99three
Great info in this thread, but how do you drive the car home if you are purchasing a car from private sale.
You have to go to the local DMV and get a temp in-transit tag. There is much talk about needing one for every state (not sure if that's true or not) however I shipped my car from Florida by transport company (DAS) and only need the NY in-transit tag with cost me a whopping $10.00.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I had insurance and ownership of the car with me - fine would have been for improper plates. Only a problem if I got pulled over, so I drove carefully.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Maxxx
Track Day

I did the cross border transporting thing almost 9 years ago. Car was from California, picked it up from Farmington Hills, Michigan and went to the DMV and got a 30 day in-transit tag for $10. Drove up to the Detroit/Windsor border and the inspector MUST have been having a bad day because supposedly I didnt have any of the right paperwork and if I did not turn around in the next 30 seconds, the car would be impounded!!! I contacted the DMV and MTO and some other government agency I was told I needed to fill out some form bla bla bla. I went up to the Huron/Sarnia border and some young guy fresh on the job looked at the car and said "Dude.. sweeet ride.. You got a in-transit tag? Where is the car from?" I answer "I just picked up here, its from California"... he says "Thats so cool.... wait, are you Canadian?" .. I gulp... "Yes" he looks at me and says .. "ok, well here, take this form over to the customs and get it stamped"

I go to the big truckers shop and wait in line. Get called up and fill out some important looking official forms and the guy says "How much did you pay for the car?" I said "$2500US" and here is the bill of sale. He looks at me and gives me the 'whatever' face calculates the tax and whatever other duties and says "$700" cash or credit card? I paid the charge, I get the stamped forms, get in the car and cross the border.... god it was beautiful to be back in Canada!!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:12 AM
optionpunk
Intermediate

Wow - it's amazing how many different experiences there are crossing the border.
I got my temp tag from the dealer in Illinois - no issues, just $10.
I never had to produce insurance documentation at the border although I did have the insurance company fax me proof of insurance. The only requirement the insurance company had was that I fax or pdf form 1 and my Ontario registration to them within 1 month of importation.
US customs could not find my fax at the border but I had my cover sheet with me and I sent it to the attention of Mr. X (I asked for a name to send it to) - he was in the office so it was hard to dispute.
US customs also never looked at my car - I could have walked there for all they know.
Canadian customs asked if I had a temp tag but never checked and did not document anything.
I got pre-approval on "No-recalls" from RIV but when I showed up they could not find it. I had my case number with me and also a fresh (can't be older than 30 days) job management report so they approved on the spot.
My only gaff was not realizing that the Canadian Tire RIV inspection and the Ontario inspection were different things... minor inconvenience.
I guess your experience crossing the border depends on who you run into on any particular day.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Alberta allows you 14 days to transfer a registration from a vehicle which you own or owned, to another vehicle, so when I brought my car back from Utah I just used the plate off my Subaru and carried the registration particulars. Here's designergene's son putting it on for me at Salt Lake City 2 airport:

And the whole story is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ad-report.html

Auto insurance is private in the province, and I got the car covered with one phone call to my agent; receiving the fax a few minutes later. The (also private) licensing agent registered the car and issued plates after I got the out of province inspection done, and before the RIV registration was finalized.

Last edited by Rinty; 05-01-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I got the label today. Could they make that thing any bigger? Do we really haved to affix that thing on the pillar post?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Suggest you make a couple of copies of the RIV approval letter for your car's file/binder.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:22 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by optionpunk
I guess your experience crossing the border depends on who you run into on any particular day.
I'm here on a work permit (awaiting residence status) and find this statement to be the most consistent of all!!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian 162
I got the label today. Could they make that thing any bigger? Do we really haved to affix that thing on the pillar post?
LOL I thought the same thing when I got mine lat Friday. I ended up putting it down (almost out of sight) on the lower pillar post side ways. Your right the sticker is big and there isn't alot of room to chose from.

Enjoy!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:34 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

i'll have to check if I put my sticker on...... don't recall. Have to dig thru some paper work.....

P
Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

I never put the sticker on a BMW bike I imported 7 years ago and have since sold.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Maxxx
Track Day

I put the sticker in the Porsche Owners Manual!

Quick Reply: Going to pick up my car in Buffalo...wish me luck.