Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:09 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adrian's WOT CAR TO CANADA thread

ok. my moods seem as hormonal as my preggie misus's at the moment

SO

I will over between now and leaving throw up some options and give you reasons why.

I hope you dont shoot me down in flames

though gentle teasing is of course par for the course

and ppls honest advise as usual

so
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Default First thoughts

I'm hoping to put porky up for sale, IF I dont get the price I want, then I'll bring it.

Of course then I may still just wanna bring it

OH another question

Servicing for the 44's whats it like as far as indy's in Mississauga?

Last edited by adrian_jaye; 04-21-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Default First Car choices (in order)

1>1991 944 S2 cab 211BHP in real terms worth $10.5k

PRO I know my car inside and out, FPSH, I LOVE driving it, its red and its a convetible, rare over there by many accounts, dont need to spend any money, in real terms worth $10.5k

CONS RHD, low resale value, not built for snow, no Porsche Stability Management (PSM).

2> 2006 Boxster (987) 2.7L, 240BHP $29k

PRO Porsche Stability Management (PSM) FPSH, 29 more BHP, Newer car, LHD, good resale.

CONS Have to find $22k, dont like silver, doesnt have the square 44 lines

3> 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA 3.5L, 242BHP $10k

PRO auto, cruise, 225's, 31+ BHP than the 44, & BHP on par with the Boxster, only have to find $3k, familly car, good reviews. Its an American car ! woo hoo.

CONS Doesnt have StabiliTrak, not a sports car and NOT a convertible, not a porsche
Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell your car and borrow her van until you can find something suitable on the ground here in Canada. Also, I'm sure you realize that you do not want to be driving a 20 year old RHD convertible in the snow.

She already has a van, right? Buy a Golf and live with it for one year, until you can find the right Porsche, then sell it for more or less what you paid for it. Also, I think you're on the right track with the 987 -- they're going to be under $25k in a year.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:47 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

using the Van wont be an issue,
by the time I get there and settled she may already be on maternity leave.

(I note the picture of your porscha in de snow ) unless its more the RHD issue.

whats the dileo with just using the car for 6 months of the year?
as far as insurance and stuff goes.

her broker said that the policys are all 6 mopths paid monthly
cant I just put her in for the 6 months?

BTW the Impala at $10k of about £6.5k is almost a straight trade in, if I sold here. Whats resale/trade in on an Impala on a 06 plate?

Also i could go with the 987 straight off, whilst I have the inital capitol

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Sell your car and borrow her van until you can find something suitable on the ground here in Canada. Also, I'm sure you realize that you do not want to be driving a 20 year old RHD convertible in the snow.

She already has a van, right? Buy a Golf and live with it for one year, until you can find the right Porsche, then sell it for more or less what you paid for it. Also, I think you're on the right track with the 987 -- they're going to be under $25k in a year.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:20 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
BTW the Impala at $10k of about £6.5k is almost a straight trade in, if I sold here. Whats resale/trade in on an Impala on a 06 plate?

Also i could go with the 987 straight off, whilst I have the inital capitol
An Impala (like all domestic cars) is pretty much worthless after a few years. These things are rental cars and taxis here. If you're going to buy it, buy it with the idea that you will drive it until the wheels fall off and then sell it for the value of whatever gas is left in the tank. I'm exaggerating of course...but not by much.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Adrian, if you love your car and can see your self driving her for while then bring it over, as far as the cons go:

RHD - driving is not really a big deal, having driven Japanese Deportees in and around Toronto and in Jamaica. The only time it will hurt you is when you go to sell her... .

Low resale value - In this economy it is all relative, you may get more in the UK than in Canada but to trade down to an Impala for the same coin is crazy but then again you have a kid on the way. A newer Porsche is always a good alternative providing you can comfortable afford it... just moving to Canada... do you want to spend the extra money right now.

Not built for snow, no Porsche Stability Management (PSM)- The cab top isn't but the car is fine with winter tires and better than most p-cars. You seem to be hung up on the PSM,... to each his own but I don't think you need it, 944 is forgivin compared to other P-cars and the best traction control is your right foot.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ200124039
Old 04-21-2010, 09:58 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Traction in an inch or two of snow is quite a different story from slush, or from a heavy snowfall. Also, if I'm going to be forced to drive a car at 5% of its ability, I had damned well better be warm, comfortable and easy to insure!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I drove my old 944 for a couple winters - generally, you're fine, because really, the # of days where the streets are actually snow-covered is only a few. Most of the time the streets are fairly clear, often bare and dry, especially the highways. The only trouble I had was getting out of our court, because it was usually the last street in the city to be plowed.

I think you'll have a hell of a time trying to get 10.5k for your car here. It's a bitch of a market, and prices here are generally lower than Europe. I know because I'm trying to sell right now, and the only real offers I've had are ridiculously lowball. I've had precisely one offer that was even in the realm of practical, but still too low and I turned it down.

Depending on the details of the Impala and the Boxster, I can almost assuredly get you either or both those, at a better price. Particularly the Impala.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:24 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
whats the dileo with just using the car for 6 months of the year?
as far as insurance and stuff goes.
This is standard operating procedure in my part of Canada. "Car Guys" have a summer car and a winter car, just like you have a summer wardrobe (shorts/T-shirt) and a winter wardrobe (parka/toque).

I have my 4x4 truck which is insured year-round but rarely driven in the summer and mostly used in the winter. I leave it insured all year because you always need a truck handy, you never know when you'll need to haul something big. My 951 only has full coverage in the summer. When the snow flies and sticks, I call the insurance agent and have the 951 coverage reduced to only fire and theft. I then roll the 951 into the back of the garage where I work on it all winter, then in the spring when the snow melts and the temperature goes up, I call the insurance agent and restore full coverage. Simple.

To complicate matters I try to keep my wife in a new car so she doesn't have to deal with my old 951 or my bouncy truck. Her Subaru is our daily, year-round family-mobile.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

thanks

Originally Posted by pongobaz
An Impala (like all domestic cars) is pretty much worthless after a few years. These things are rental cars and taxis here. If you're going to buy it, buy it with the idea that you will drive it until the wheels fall off and then sell it for the value of whatever gas is left in the tank. I'm exaggerating of course...but not by much.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:13 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Cheers Mark,

I'm not too worried about resale value TBH - well yes but no.
Saw a link on here for a LHD for $12K, which in my terms is £8k.
so if I sey sell min in the UK for 7 I'm no better off, and theres noway of knowing what its like.

I know my history back to front.

but Kid on the way, but at least I'm not starting from scratch, will have funds.

I'm so thinking, man trade up to the 987

The PSM I saw a news article about tracction control in snow, now about starting but stopping steering in an emergency

advise all appreciated

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Adrian, if you love your car and can see your self driving her for while then bring it over, as far as the cons go:

RHD - driving is not really a big deal, having driven Japanese Deportees in and around Toronto and in Jamaica. The only time it will hurt you is when you go to sell her... .

Low resale value - In this economy it is all relative, you may get more in the UK than in Canada but to trade down to an Impala for the same coin is crazy but then again you have a kid on the way. A newer Porsche is always a good alternative providing you can comfortable afford it... just moving to Canada... do you want to spend the extra money right now.

Not built for snow, no Porsche Stability Management (PSM)- The cab top isn't but the car is fine with winter tires and better than most p-cars. You seem to be hung up on the PSM,... to each his own but I don't think you need it, 944 is forgivin compared to other P-cars and the best traction control is your right foot.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

This may be the answer.

944 in summer, Impala winter & Wife's Dodge Caravan.

I have to make a decision, DAMN IT

Do I put her up for sale now and SEE what offers I get.

Do I take whatever I can get and just add somemore money

Its true, NO other car I've owened have I ever thought twice about selling.

Somone said, Porsche's are for life, you'll never let it go without a tear in your eye !

DAYEM!

Originally Posted by chrenan
This is standard operating procedure in my part of Canada. "Car Guys" have a summer car and a winter car, just like you have a summer wardrobe (shorts/T-shirt) and a winter wardrobe (parka/toque).

I have my 4x4 truck which is insured year-round but rarely driven in the summer and mostly used in the winter. I leave it insured all year because you always need a truck handy, you never know when you'll need to haul something big. My 951 only has full coverage in the summer. When the snow flies and sticks, I call the insurance agent and have the 951 coverage reduced to only fire and theft. I then roll the 951 into the back of the garage where I work on it all winter, then in the spring when the snow melts and the temperature goes up, I call the insurance agent and restore full coverage. Simple.

To complicate matters I try to keep my wife in a new car so she doesn't have to deal with my old 951 or my bouncy truck. Her Subaru is our daily, year-round family-mobile.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:19 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

dayem, jump back again ?

yoos a car salesman are ya

ooohh

Originally Posted by Christien
Depending on the details of the Impala and the Boxster, I can almost assuredly get you either or both those, at a better price. Particularly the Impala.

Quick Reply: Adrian's WOT CAR TO CANADA thread