Notices

Need some money, help,.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 AM
9 lives
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NITEALB
I am an Ontario Pharmacist, my business will be affected by new regulations reducing drug prices. I was wondering if any of you could help a health care professional out and donate some money to my cause. Its a very sad situation, without these drug rebates its unlikely i'll be able to afford the carrera gt i've been looking at for quite some time now. Please have a heart, help me now....
in the spirit of giving - I'm offering up my $100 Porsche Gift Certificate. Might I suggest we all donate these so that Niteal can buy all the parts required to assemble his 'new' CGT...100 bucks off of every 350 spent is really quite a deal and quite gracious.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 AM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its actually a complete load of bollocks. our dispensing fees are going up one dollar per rx for all government paid rx's. the average pharmacy does around $600k in sales of which 25% is generic drugs. half of this generic drug cost is paid via government subsidized rx's which equates to around $150k in generic sales. 20-25% of this amount is what pharmacies wont be getting anymore in kick backs. however, the average pharmacy also dispenses a minmum of 50 government paid rx's every business day, which equates to $50 more in dispensing fees per business day. the math says that this average pharmacy will be shy of $13000 dollars a year.

as a pharmacist, i want to be paid more (and more!). but when u look at it properly its better for the patient as drug costs will come down. pharmacist's (and other health care professionals) have always been treated well - box seats at hockey games, holidays etc etc.... so maybe its time to take on the chin.

i still would gladly accept any donations
towards my carrera gt fund.
I don't doubt it's all a line of garbage.
More importantly, I'm not a pharmacist but if I support them, is there anyway I can get in on the carrera gt fund?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:46 AM
big_willy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

That's exactly it - so imagine 20-25% of revenue cut off the books. How many small businesses can survive if 20-25% of revenue disappeared over-night...?

The Ontario Gov't has/will destroy the pharmacy business - you'll have all the university grads and better pharmacists head south to the US or other provinces for higher paying jobs because stores in Ontario cannot afford them any longer. Small independent drug stores in rural areas and towns will simply close down.

The gov't wastes billions on e-health and paying over $100k to sleeping TTC workers, now they need to make up the money by cutting health care in the province. The McGuinty gov't has done irrepairable damage to this province which we may not see reversed in our lifetime.

Its actually a complete load of bollocks. our dispensing fees are going up one dollar per rx for all government paid rx's. the average pharmacy does around $600k in sales of which 25% is generic drugs. half of this generic drug cost is paid via government subsidized rx's which equates to around $150k in generic sales. 20-25% of this amount is what pharmacies wont be getting anymore in kick backs. however, the average pharmacy also dispenses a minmum of 50 government paid rx's every business day, which equates to $50 more in dispensing fees per business day. the math says that this average pharmacy will be shy of $13000 dollars a year.

as a pharmacist, i want to be paid more (and more!). but when u look at it properly its better for the patient as drug costs will come down. pharmacist's (and other health care professionals) have always been treated well - box seats at hockey games, holidays etc etc.... so maybe its time to take on the chin.

i still would gladly accept any donations
towards my carrera gt fund.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by big_willy
That's exactly it - so imagine 20-25% of revenue cut off the books. How many small businesses can survive if 20-25% of revenue disappeared over-night...?

The Ontario Gov't has/will destroy the pharmacy business - you'll have all the university grads and better pharmacists head south to the US or other provinces for higher paying jobs because stores in Ontario cannot afford them any longer. Small independent drug stores in rural areas and towns will simply close down.

The gov't wastes billions on e-health and paying over $100k to sleeping TTC workers, now they need to make up the money by cutting health care in the province. The McGuinty gov't has done irrepairable damage to this province which we may not see reversed in our lifetime.
I'm a pharmacist, been working since 1995. I was hospital for 12 yrs and have switched to primary care. My job isn't a dispensing role, it's more consultant now. I haven't worked on the retail side except for the odd shift here or there to pay for the insurance on my Boxster S or other toys.

It doesn't look good for pharmacy in Ontario.
It doesn't look good for healthcare in Ontario,
It doesn't look good for people looking to access a pharmacy in the off hours.
The lack of free delivery will be felt by seniors. I don't know if programs such as medication dosettes will be viable at the new rates.

I doubt any savings that insurance companies will get will be passed down to the consumer. I think our premiums will stay the same.....
Old 04-16-2010, 12:31 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
I'm a pharmacist, been working since 1995. I was hospital for 12 yrs and have switched to primary care. My job isn't a dispensing role, it's more consultant now. I haven't worked on the retail side except for the odd shift here or there to pay for the insurance on my Boxster S or other toys.

It doesn't look good for pharmacy in Ontario.
It doesn't look good for healthcare in Ontario,
It doesn't look good for people looking to access a pharmacy in the off hours.
The lack of free delivery will be felt by seniors. I don't know if programs such as medication dosettes will be viable at the new rates.

I doubt any savings that insurance companies will get will be passed down to the consumer. I think our premiums will stay the same.....
I employ staff with a benefit plan in place and I won't see any reduction in my policy. I insure 2 motorcycles with 2 complete insurance packages, yet I can only ride 1 at a time. Insurance 1000, me ZERO.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,133 Likes on 810 Posts

.. can't give up my 100.00 gift certificate from Porsche after spending 350 , sorry. I need it to buy some valve stem caps

Quick Reply: Need some money, help,.