Notices

Needed - bilingual airbag stickers to import to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needed - bilingual airbag stickers to import to Canada

What a great site for us novice Porsche owners. I'm in the process of bringing a 1999 911 to Toronto from Florida but have run into a road block with the bilingual airbag sticker for the visor requirements.

Porsche won't seel me the sticker rather they want to see me the entire visor for $250 each x 2.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 537 Posts

Canadian tire won't ask to see the stickers....so they are not necessary
Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

I called them today and they said that they were necessary to pass the inspection.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanner2305
What a great site for us novice Porsche owners. I'm in the process of bringing a 1999 911 to Toronto from Florida but have run into a road block with the bilingual airbag sticker for the visor requirements.

Porsche won't seel me the sticker rather they want to see me the entire visor for $250 each x 2.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Tanner...the car is less than 15 years old - so you are in the RIV program and will need a "recall letter" from Porsche. This letter will only be issued by Porsche Canada when/ if you bring your car into a Porsche dealer who does an "Import Quality Assurance" import inspection for $ 500.00. In said inspection, thiey provide you with the stickers for $ 28.64 + taxes. Local CDN Porsche dealer faxes report to Porsceh CDA who provides letter. You will as well have to demonstrate the brake fluid has been changed within the last 24 months - and other items (tires fluids et al) which you may or may not choose to do at said dealer.

Call the 1-800-767-7243 number at Porsche who will give you a file number that you give to your local dealer when you bring the car in. It sounds complicated by really not too cumbersome if you have a decent relationship with the local Porsche guy.
Good luck
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (08-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2010, 09:14 PM
saifhaq
Advanced

Go to Chrysler-Dodge and get part # 04787437-AA. They’re the only OE to still sell just stickers. They’re $1.13 each, and you’ll need 2. And don’t worry, the stickers don’t say “Dodge” anywhere on them. In fact, they’re so non-offensive I still have them on my visors.
This was back in 2005, so i'm not sure if the info is still good. Good luck
Old 04-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tanner:

I would also get the advice of your Porsche tech as to which Canadian Tire location, to take your car to. Some of the rules, such as the one relating to the child safety seat tether bolt, lend themselves to various interpretations.

Good luck, and welcome.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Thanks I know and have been dealing with Porsche and the recall notice for the last week or so. I actaually called a Porsche dealership in Florida where the car has been serviced in the past and the Service Manager was nice enough to wrigte one up for me free of charge. I also spoke to Porsche NA and Downtown Fine Cars and the message was the same. Come in let us compare the VIN numbers for $500.00 and we'll think about giving you a letter. Truthfully I wanted my first Porsche to be serviced by a Porsche dealership but this whole issue about the recall notice and the airbag sticker has left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm thinking now that I'll never spend a dime with them and find myself a great shop who loves working on Porsche's and isn't interested in screwing you.

thanks for your help. I'm so glad I found this great site!

Dan
Old 04-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

AWESOME! Thanks for the info. I called Ford yesterday and they needed the VIN number before they would sell it to me.

I knew Dodge was good for something!

thanks again,

dan
Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 537 Posts

Tanner...I just brought a 993 up in November and have another coming up this month. I get my recall clearance letter from a P-car Dealer in the states and that is all you need for that. Then, get the car safetied, DRL's done and smog checked. Take all of that paperwork with you to Canadian tire and they will check that your car has DRLs and that is all. You don't need anything else despite what the dealers will tell you.

Service your Porsche in Woodbridge at Autowerks and you'll be many dollars ahead and receive much better service!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Dan, listen to Zedder - he knows what he's talking about. CDN Tire won't check for the airbag sticker (they didn't when I imported a 99 boxster) but if you're really concerned, here's one for free:

http://eyespyacop.com/images/WarningSticker.jpg

Yes, just print that off and tape it to the visor - you've now complied with legislation.

Forget the dealer's $500 fee - your car isn't under warranty, so there's no need for the dealerships to get their hands in your pockets. Besides, I'd recommend using independent shops for service anyway. Cheaper and better service. Again, Zedder's got it right.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Tanner...the car is less than 15 years old - so you are in the RIV program and will need a "recall letter" from Porsche. This letter will only be issued by Porsche Canada when/ if you bring your car into a Porsche dealer who does an "Import Quality Assurance" import inspection for $ 500.00. In said inspection, thiey provide you with the stickers for $ 28.64 + taxes. Local CDN Porsche dealer faxes report to Porsceh CDA who provides letter. You will as well have to demonstrate the brake fluid has been changed within the last 24 months - and other items (tires fluids et al) which you may or may not choose to do at said dealer.

Call the 1-800-767-7243 number at Porsche who will give you a file number that you give to your local dealer when you bring the car in. It sounds complicated by really not too cumbersome if you have a decent relationship with the local Porsche guy.
Good luck
Originally Posted by Zedder
Tanner...I just brought a 993 up in November and have another coming up this month. I get my recall clearance letter from a P-car Dealer in the states and that is all you need for that. Then, get the car safetied, DRL's done and smog checked. Take all of that paperwork with you to Canadian tire and they will check that your car has DRLs and that is all. You don't need anything else despite what the dealers will tell you.

Service your Porsche in Woodbridge at Autowerks and you'll be many dollars ahead and receive much better service!!!
Thanks. Cant wait to get the car. I used DAS shippers to get it here and they have guaranteed it will arrive on or before april 21st.
Woodbridge is a little far for me (I live in Pickering) however I've read so many good things abot Autowerks how could I not use them?????

thanks again for the info.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 392 Posts

in the east end Gtek is very good.
btw I believe CDN tire can sell you the stickets if you need them

congrats on the cab... how about some details of the car and pics?...as per forum rules.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Tanner2305
Instructor

You're a genius! Called the nearest Chrysler dealership and ordered two decals for delivery tomorrow. The price was $13.50 each. Canadian Tire does not sell the stickers.

Pic's and info on my new ride on it's way.

Dan
Old 04-12-2010, 06:38 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Canadian Tire at Keele/St Clair (stockyards) did the inspection on my 997. They never asked for the bilingual stickers or the child seat anchors. They simply passed the car, although I had some printed bilingual sitckers on the seat ready to go if they asked.

Get the recall clearance letter from a US dealer and have it serviced at Autowerks or GTek. Stay away from the dealer now that the car is off warranty
Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Thanks Jason. I did get the recall notice from the Porsche dealership that has serviced it in the past. I couldn't thank the Service Manager enough cause Porsche here was going to rape me.

Gtek sounds good. I love your car!

Dan

Quick Reply: Needed - bilingual airbag stickers to import to Canada