Notices

HST and Porsche imports from U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:18 PM
jfk308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HST and Porsche imports from U.S.

Does anyone know if the HST will change the way GST and PST are collected on Porsches we import from the U.S.? In B.C. we currently pay 5% GST and 6.1% duty when you bring the car over the border, and 7% PST when you actually register the car. After July 1, would the GST go from 5% to the 12% HST? In B.C. the plan is to also increase the PST from 7% to 12% on July 1 on all registrations so the sales through private parties are the same as through dealers. Could we be facing 12% at the border, and 12% at registration?

My guess is that somehow the GST at importation remains at 5%, with some sort of credit against the 12% PST when you go to register, but I'd like to confirm this, and how it actually works. The maritimes have had the HST for a few years, so hopefully this has come up in the past. Can anyone offer any input?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

there is no reason why you would pay more tax after HST, since you are already paying both taxes when importing (pst and gst) (unless you live in Alberta and then you just have to face cold weather).
Do you think the Province can justify charging twice for the same tax?????

what are you importing?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

I bet there isnt one Revenue Canada employee who can answer any HST questions right now. Everyone is really confused as to how HST will affect many different businesses. We are a few months away and our government has not made any efforts to educate us. Typical, though.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I get reports from my accountant and everything seems very clear.
anything delivered after July 1 gets hst. what is so confusing?
this HST is a really bad idea.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the question is what will be collected at border and what will be collected at the license bureau. Good question, but I don't know the answer
Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 PM
DrXenon
Intermediate

I think you'll simply pay the 19.1% (for Ontarians) at the border, instead of paying 8% to the MoT on registration.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:57 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I get reports from my accountant and everything seems very clear.
anything delivered after July 1 gets hst. what is so confusing?
this HST is a really bad idea.
The uncertainty mainly has to do with the items/services that where previously PST and/or GST exempt. Like some medical devices, for example. Untill now, I have only paid GST to my wholesale suppliers/providers and did not charge the end user any taxes, since these items/services used to be exempt from taxes. I would then claim the GST back. Now, my accountant still can not explain to me how the "circle" of taxes would work with the new HST in place. Will I now have to pay HST to my wholesalers on everything? Do I add HST to the patient"s bill? Can I claim HST back? In full (13%) or just the GST part of it?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Snow Lion
Intermediate

My understanding of HST is that if you are a business, then you will be able to claim the entire HST as an input credit. Meaning you can 'write off' the GST and PST as before you were only able to claim back the GST portion. So businesses benefit, but the consumer pays more. Ultimately, the consumer has less money to spend... Driving the underground economy...
Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Tenzin is right - business can claim HST input credits on anything they would have previously paid GST on, including things they paid PST on. So now when my business pays my cell phone bill of $100, instead of paying out $113 and getting $5 of it back as a GST input credit, with $8 of it lost to PST, we can now claim back the entire $13. With PST-paid expenses of over $30K a year, this represents a pretty nice savings to my company. And considering much of that is things that we might pay out of pocket if I weren't self-employed, it's a personal bonus as well.

But for the average consumer, it sucks big hairy donkey *****. It's a stupid idea in hard economic times. Particularly for new home sales. One level of gov't introduces a tax credit because they know the building/reno industry is hurting badly, another level of gov't introduces a massive new tax on it because... well, I'm lost there. I'm no fan of Harper whatsoever, but McGuinty is outshining him in stupidity really fast.

BTW, there's tons of info at the Ministry of Finance website.
http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/taxchange/index.html
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I will look into it.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DrXenon
I think you'll simply pay the 19.1% (for Ontarians) at the border, instead of paying 8% to the MoT on registration.
I agree.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

The car deal is a wash unless you buy privately. Where we're really getting screwed is the addition of PST to gas and hydro bills, and construction labour.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Radcap
Rennlist Member

Talking

I realize Alberta is a bit cold, but, one more reason to have an address here. And one in Phoenix:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:02 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
The car deal is a wash unless you buy privately. Where we're really getting screwed is the addition of PST to gas and hydro bills, and construction labour.
I believe even private sales will be subject to the full HST too. They'll hit you when you do the tittle transfer.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

yes July 1 private sales of cars is subject to 13% tax in Ontario.

Quick Reply: HST and Porsche imports from U.S.