PORSCHE CANADA ANNOUNCES CANADIAN CURRENCY CREDITS

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts
Default PORSCHE CANADA ANNOUNCES CANADIAN CURRENCY CREDITS

PORSCHE CANADA ANNOUNCES CANADIAN CURRENCY CREDITS

MISSISSAUGA – April 5, 2010 --- Two-and-a-half years ago, at a time of US-dollar parity, Porsche was first to market with reduced prices for Canadian buyers. As the Canadian dollar once again flirts with parity, Porsche Cars Canada has introduced a Canadian Currency Credit program to effectively reduce prices. The program is subject to change at anytime.

Canadian Currency Credits are factory-to-dealer credits available on all 2010 Porsche models as well as the new 2011 Boxster Spyder. They are available to qualified retail customers through participating Porsche dealerships whether the customer pays cash, or leases or finances through Porsche Financial Services.

Model Canadian Currency Credit (for April 2010 deliveries)
Boxster models $4,000
Cayman models $4,500
911 models $6,000 - $9,000
Cayenne models $2,500 - $8,000
Panamera models $5,000 - $10,500

“Canadian Currency Credits address the cross-border price disparity caused by a strengthening Canadian dollar,” said Joe Lawrence, Porsche Canada’s President and CEO. “In effect, the strong dollar has significantly reduced prices for Canadian Porsche buyers, despite ongoing improvements in equipment and technology on all our products.”

Model MY2007
MSRP MY2008
MSRP MY2010
MSRP Currency Credit
(for April 2010 deliveries) MY2010 MSRP less Currency Credit Var. vs. MY2008 Var. vs. MY2007
Boxster $63,600 $58,100 $59,600 $4,000 $55,600 -4.3% -12.6%
Cayman $69,600 $63,500 $65,300 $4,500 $60,800 -4.3% -12.6%
911 Coupe $100,700 $93,200 $96,700 $6,000 $90,700 -2.7% -9.9%
Cayenne $60,100 $55,200 $56,700 $2,500 $54,200 -1.8% -9.8%

“Available across the entire Porsche range through participating dealers, Canadian Currency Credits act as an effective price adjustment during this time when the Canadian dollar is close to US-dollar parity. They are available even on virtually sold-out models like the new 911 GT3 RS,” added Lawrence. “Customers are encouraged to contact their local Porsche dealership for the latest information.”
###
Old 04-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Canadian retailers are STILL 12%-15% too high even after lowering prices and Porsche Canada is no better then Chapters/Indigo for example. This 'lowering of prices' has nothing to do with 'helping' Canadian buyers and everything to do with attempting to put the brakes on Canadians going south to buy Porsches. I've read the studies that have come out recently where Canadian retailers of items originating from the US have no reasonable excuse for their mark up – other then ‘the cost of being Canadian’. When business costs are taken into account for Ontario (for example) they are actually lower then the majority of US states. Health care costs – the single highest employee expense for American companies – is born by the state up here.

The real reason specifically for Porsche Canada’s still higher pricing is that the cost of running the operational budget is most likely a 'charge back' to PCNA’s budget and as a result there is ‘mark up’ applied to our sales. Porsche Canada is not truly a separate organization (outside of local marketing) as they import all parts and cars from the US marketer and receive direct technical support via computers to Atlanta (which they charged for in US dollars) instead of from Stuttgart. Until this changes, Porsche Canada is held hostage to ‘$$$Daddy USA$$$’.

What they should be allowed to do is become a FULL independent importer using Canadian dollars without the 'Atlanta fee' (profit) tacked on to the vehicles and parts we pay for. The economies of scale are overblown – vehicles are not like selling Oranges. Pricing levels are maintained within 10% of the highest volume dealerships to the lowest volume dealerships. Invoices on parts are at whatever the list price is. What we have been held hostage to over the years is the exchange rate form Euros’ to US dollar – then PCNA’s mark up and then the exchange rate from US dollars to Canadian dollars. I call BS on the whole operation!

Send EVERYTHING straight from Stuttgart to Mississauga, pay ONCE for it in Canadian dollars - no bloody middleman (PCNA)!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Canadian retailers are STILL 12%-15% too high even after lowering prices and Porsche Canada is no better then Chapters/Indigo for example. This 'lowering of prices' has nothing to do with 'helping' Canadian buyers and everything to do with attempting to put the brakes on Canadians going south to buy Porsches. I've read the studies that have come out recently where Canadian retailers of items originating from the US have no reasonable excuse for their mark up – other then ‘the cost of being Canadian’. When business costs are taken into account for Ontario (for example) they are actually lower then the majority of US states. Health care costs – the single highest employee expense for American companies – is born by the state up here.

The real reason specifically for Porsche Canada’s still higher pricing is that the cost of running the operational budget is most likely a 'charge back' to PCNA’s budget and as a result there is ‘mark up’ applied to our sales. Porsche Canada is not truly a separate organization (outside of local marketing) as they import all parts and cars from the US marketer and receive direct technical support via computers to Atlanta (which they charged for in US dollars) instead of from Stuttgart. Until this changes, Porsche Canada is held hostage to ‘$$$Daddy USA$$$’.

What they should be allowed to do is become a FULL independent importer using Canadian dollars without the 'Atlanta fee' (profit) tacked on to the vehicles and parts we pay for. The economies of scale are overblown – vehicles are not like selling Oranges. Pricing levels are maintained within 10% of the highest volume dealerships to the lowest volume dealerships. Invoices on parts are at whatever the list price is. What we have been held hostage to over the years is the exchange rate form Euros’ to US dollar – then PCNA’s mark up and then the exchange rate from US dollars to Canadian dollars. I call BS on the whole operation!

Send EVERYTHING straight from Stuttgart to Mississauga, pay ONCE for it in Canadian dollars - no bloody middleman (PCNA)!
I'm hardly a business expert but there must be increased costs in setting up a business infrastructure to cater to a market as small as Canada vs. the economies of scale of a market as large as the US?

That said, you have to admit the pricing is closer than ever before. Base price on a 911 in the US is $77,800. If you add 6.1% duty that's $82,546 vs. $90,000 in Canada (dollar is roughly at par). They may not even have the same standard equipment.

I think that's close enough for me to buy up here. I'd rather have a good relationship with the local dealer especially on a car this expensive.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:48 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

the whole question then becomes why are you having to pay 6.1% duty ? on a car made in Germany that Americans don't have to pay .... the governement wants there cut too... on top of the federal tax you pay of course which is on top of the Provincial tax you pay ... gotta pay for that health care some how ..
Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
the whole question then becomes why are you having to pay 6.1% duty ? on a car made in Germany that Americans don't have to pay .... the governement wants there cut too... on top of the federal tax you pay of course which is on top of the Provincial tax you pay ... gotta pay for that health care some how ..
And for those lazy goverment employees!
Old 04-06-2010, 01:11 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, imported cars into the US are also subject to import Duty (although to a lesser extent at 2.5%)
Old 04-06-2010, 02:27 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great. I just took another $10000 hit on my resale value.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Not Enough, Prices should be Matched to US... there is no excuse
Old 04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Great. I just took another $10000 hit on my resale value.
Well your car looks great if that's any consolation;-)
Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Just saved me some money
Old 04-07-2010, 02:08 AM
fivetwozero
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-07-2010, 02:23 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
I'm hardly a business expert but there must be increased costs in setting up a business infrastructure to cater to a market as small as Canada vs. the economies of scale of a market as large as the US?

That said, you have to admit the pricing is closer than ever before. Base price on a 911 in the US is $77,800. If you add 6.1% duty that's $82,546 vs. $90,000 in Canada (dollar is roughly at par). They may not even have the same standard equipment.

I think that's close enough for me to buy up here. I'd rather have a good relationship with the local dealer especially on a car this expensive.
Well I'm a Chartered Accountant in public practice and there is no justification for a 10% to 15% discrepany other than pure greed.

A couple of years ago with the strengthening Canadian dollar a couple of my larger manufacturing clients looked seriously at moving their production south. There were some great incentives to go to Alabama or Mississippi but when they totalled up all the added health costs and some other local taxes and costs it did not make sense to move. Factor also that professional fees are way higher in the US.

The strong Canadian dollar is here to stay for the next few years. Let's see what happens to our retailers. Do they adjust or will we see more and more cross border transactions. I know that lots of auto manufactures are trying to stop the flood of US cars by denying warranty. I was looking for a Nissan GT-R from the US (at least 20% less) but was told that there would be no warranty in Canada.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
Well I'm a Chartered Accountant in public practice and there is no justification for a 10% to 15% discrepany other than pure greed.
thank you
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

The problem with the retail segment in Canada is that they have always had this attitude that if I can't make a 100% mark up on items then it isn't worth selling. That has been the mindset up here since the death of the US branch plant industry and the rise of NAFTA. When they see they can't compete with the USA they move out of that industry or product line to another. But wait... The rise of China and India comes along - then eBay... now what are they to do? The worst thing in the world was the 60 cent dollar up here because it promoted poor manufacturing standards and service levels - but the US buyers and offshore groups with higher currencies bought into it because it was a 40% discount none the less. Now that our dollar is high - these same idiots who couldn't get off their butts to compete on quality and service levels - want everyone else to pay for their industry’s (export) laziness by pressuring Ottawa to get the Bank of Canada to up the prime rate so that all of us end up padding the exporters bottom lines while we pay more for mortgages, business loans and car financing. I'm sorry - we're about done with subsidizing crappy products and crappy service. If you build a better product then the world will come to your door step anyway.

Does anyone really believe our cameramen were 'better' then Hollywood's cameramen? Come on. Gee, at a 100%+ dollar - they better be the world best pull focus and special effects people now! THATS how you create greatness. Not some lazy a$$ed currency resaons.

Pricing up here has nothing to do with a lower population as the retail propaganda mouth pieces like Cartharine Swift like to promote. It’s always the money. Americans simply have a better take on what it means to move products. Canadian companies are quite happy to sit on their butts and watch that item on the shelf sit and gather dust for months. Why? The mark up. They don’t have to work so hard when they bought that oil filter for $5 bucks from China and are selling it for $20. Americans would sell it for $8.50 to get it the heck off the shelf and move 20 of them. $3.50 profit x 20 units = $70 dollars profit. Canadian retail guys??? Well they would wait months to sell that over priced item for that $15 dollar profit (150% mark up) meanwhile their carrying costs (and the staff sitting around doing squat) are building. Thats the Canadian retail mentality. Oh but of course - is all our fault for being ‘too expensive' to do business up here huh??? BULLS**T!

The Heather Riesman’s (Chapters/Indigo) of the Canadian retail world and her ‘like’ - better give their heads a shake before they lose their businesses. But wait - they’ll ask for 'protection' (of their profit margins) from Ottawa. Book banning at the border soon - you watch.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

T-Worker, increasing the prime lending rate should increase demand for Canadian dollars which would drive our dollar higher than it is now. Good for commodity exports but bad for manufacturing and certainly retail as Canadians would find US prices even more attractive.

Quick Reply: PORSCHE CANADA ANNOUNCES CANADIAN CURRENCY CREDITS