New member and looking for a 996 trunk - any advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 AM
eatonio
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member and looking for a 996 trunk - any advice

Hi all,

I live in Toronto and recently picked up a 1999 C2 ... this is my first foray into the Porsche world. I had previously been an Audi guy (A4, S4, etc) so it's even my first leap into the world of prpoer sports cars.

The car I picked up had some nice simple (mostly cosmetic) mods done to it which I like for the most part - Champion white gauges, Evo pedals, etc. It also has a body kit from Champion Motorsports which includes a rear spoiler w/ induction vents on the sides. It's neat but I'm not really a spoiler kind of guy. So this is where I'm looking for advice....

I'm looking for a black 996 trunk so that I can go back to the stock look. If there was someone out there looking to trade that would be ideal. Failing that, does anyone know a good place to find a used black 996 trunk in the GTA - or Ontario in general? I tried Nineapart but unfortunately he doesn't have one at the moment.

I've attached a few pics of the spoiler for reference.

Any advice is greatly appreciated... thanks guys.
Attached Images    
Old 03-31-2010, 11:03 AM
vipola
Racer

Take a look at used part around toronto

www.nineapart.com and http://www.whaletailcanada.com/
Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM
9 lives
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

welcome.....

any side and/or rear pics to see the whole look ? is the front bumper still stock or was it changed out as well ? side skirts ?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'd put up ads on craigslist, 6speed, and here if you are a member asking if anyone wants to swap their stock black lid. You might find a taker. It's not to your taste (or to mine), but there's someone out there who might love it and have a nice stock lid to offer. Win-win.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

What's a trunk?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

That looks like the aftermarket type that fit into the section where the drive unit and wing pop out of right? Or is the engine cover non-metal and it's all one unit?

There are lot's of units for sale around - the avg price seems to be $300-$350 or so. I just removed mine and have put a GT3 wing on - but it's silver in colour.

Was the wiring harness for the old motor driven wing included? I've got the reverse issue in that I have to order a new harness ($160) so the system doesn't keep the indicator engine cover open light 'on' all the time on the dash and allows the center brake light to work.

What type of intake box are you using with this wing - does it vent to the orignal plastic intake pipe and box?

The chances of finding a unit in your paint code would be rare - so you'll have to factor in a paint job I would guess.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 400 Posts

point#1 he trunk is in the front
point #2 welcome

why not contact the maker of the spoiler and ask them if they want to swap.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:58 PM
TargaMatt
Instructor

Welcome, and congrats!! I'm also a longtime Audi owner (well, still one).

Pics of the rest of the car??
Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Here's a guy in Markham selling one:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ165777251

Make sure it comes with the proper harness. It's easy to check the operation as well. Place a box on the ground behind the car and stick the prospective wing on it and plug into the harness port located just under the passenger right side engine cover support strut. Turn on ing and hit the up/down manual switch located near the fuse cover. If it works - great. If it doesn't... a lot of these units suffered motor failures and the part isn't cheap .
Old 03-31-2010, 02:47 PM
eatonio
Rennlist Member

Man, I had been doing CL and Kijiji searches for a while before I gave up... so maybe my timing was off or I'm just blind. Thanks for finding that for me. I'll contact him to check into it... and I appreciate the tip on how to check if it's functional.

Regarding how the spoiler is attached and how it looks I have attached a few more pics. I see the bolts under the lid, but I'm not familiar enough to know which ones are specifically for the aftermarket spoiler. So perhaps this evening I'll take it off to see if I just need the stock 'wing' or the whole lid.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

As for "trunk" .. old habits die hard I guess.
Attached Images    
Old 03-31-2010, 03:24 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

here's a pic of mine to compare. Those bolts on yours are definitely for your aftermarket wing.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
eatonio
Rennlist Member

I went out and removed the spoiler ... I could get away with just the built in "wing" rather than the whole lid, but the lid has been scraped after so may years with the spolier attached... so it has to stay together.

Called the guy with the Kijiji ad and he wants $1,200 saying it's a $6,000 part. No flexibility so needless to say I won't be dealing with him.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Ok so you've got a factory engine cover and it has the plate attached under it and you even have the drive arms still there. Thats interesting as I always assumed this these wings would have had the internal arms, motor plate and motor removed... So... you may only be missing the plastic upper external top plate (vented), the bellows and the drive arms for the bellows, (see missing arms in the two areas circed in red). Those three screws (circled in green) that are just under your hood latch on the black metal plate are for the motor drive - and it appears as if there are screws in there which suggests you've still got the motor - which is good.

The bolts in red have been drilled through for attaching the wing through your cover.

You also appear to have the wiring for the third tail light (wire with rubber gromet) so you may only need the top cover and bellows which you can strip off from the other guy's wing. That will save you a bit of money on a paint bill at least and a bit of work. I'm hoping for you that the outer most bolts do not go through the engine cover so that when you take off the wing you have two holes that cannot be covered up. (cross fingers.) If not you need to use the whole of the other guys wing/engine cover and have it painted. If you have a bit of time this weekend I'd undo those bolts and peek under the wing to see what you parts you still have for the older wing.

You must have a different wiring harness or the last owner played with the pins to bypass the dash warning light.

Last edited by Torontoworker; 05-18-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by eatonio
I went out and removed the spoiler ... I could get away with just the built in "wing" rather than the whole lid, but the lid has been scraped after so may years with the spolier attached... so it has to stay together.

Called the guy with the Kijiji ad and he wants $1,200 saying it's a $6,000 part. No flexibility so needless to say I won't be dealing with him.

What an A hole! It's NOT a $6000 part. Hell a factory GT3 OR GT2 wing is barely worth that along with skirts and spliter. Keep looking, there are others out there.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

http://www.ladismantler.com/index.ph...em&inv_id=1863

$700 from the LA thieves!

Quick Reply: New member and looking for a 996 trunk - any advice