Notices

Fantino's mad stunt racing law upheld

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

On one hand, I completely understand where Allan is coming from and his arguments make a lot of sense, re: "taking responsibility" and the dangers of other drivers being amplified by your speed.

Then again, I also completely agree with, well, everyone else, and for the most part I think Allan does too. Speeding isn't dangerous in itself (re: Phil's example), bad drivers are dangerous and we have our inadequate licensing program to thank for it. I think we all agree on this.

Having said that, even while sharing the roads with these horrible drivers, the racing law is ridiculous. If you are weaving in and out of traffic on the 401 doing 160, using minivans as a slalom course, then yes, you deserve to have your car impounded. However if you're cruising in a straight line down the highway with little traffic on the road, you are hardly "street racing" and definitely don't deserve to have your car impounded. It's ridiculous. 150 isn't that fast in these situations, even in (non-rush-hour) traffic the fast lane of the 401 moves at about 130 and aside from the occasional idiot doing 100 or somebody merging into the fast lane without signalling or getting up to speed, there really isn't a problem. So long as you leave space in front of you and keep an eye on the lane beside you for idiots, it's perfectly safe driving. The biggest problem though is that it never stays problem-free for very long, because people don't know what lane to drive in and have zero driving etiquette. You're cruising along at 130 and all of a sudden some idiot is doing 100 in the fast lane blocking traffic. Next thing you know people are weaving to get around them or tailgating them, and it creates a danger zone. I don't get it, if you see somebody coming up fast in your rear-view mirror, move the f* over! It's no skin off your back if they want to drive faster than you, so let them by.

Ok, rant over. I think that speeding in general isn't dangerous, it's the lack of driver development in our province that makes it dangerous. In order to solve a problem, you have to get to the source!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh boy, another ‘Ain’t Fantino a turd’ thread.

A bulletin for ya:

Legislators passed this law. Legislators that we elected. When you disagree with a law, whining on the internet is nothing other than whining on the internet. To change a law, you have to challenge it in court or have your legislators change it. And if your legislators perceive that it is supported by the general populace, it ain’t gonna change.

As for the old: but they do it in Europe . . . Check a map. We don’t live there.

So, it’s really, really simple: Obey the law, change it or move. Or suffer the consequences for breaking the law.

Ian
Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by imcarthur

A bulletin for ya:

Legislators passed this law. Legislators that we elected. When you disagree with a law, whining on the internet is nothing other than whining on the internet. To change a law, you have to challenge it in court or have your legislators change it. And if your legislators perceive that it is supported by the general populace, it ain’t gonna change.

As for the old: but they do it in Europe . . . Check a map. We don’t live there.

So, it’s really, really simple: Obey the law, change it or move. Or suffer the consequences for breaking the law.

Ian
Another can we just hug a legislator response...

As far as 'whining on the internet: Take a look around you. You don't like it - free world mode (for now) - find a book to read instead. Or don't click on these threads. There are always the whining IMS threads.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:26 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dislike some laws too, but as a voter in a 'reasonably free' democratic society, I know that talk is just **** in the wind. If I was really, really passionate about an issue, I would make the effort to change it.

So the ball is in your court . . .

Ian
Old 03-19-2010, 09:37 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Re: cops towing immediately when someone speeds 50+km/h over: "Due process under attack?"

Gimme a break.

It's attitudes like this and the failure for people to take responsibility for their own actions that have really helped to create the giant mess we often find ourselves in.

Take a clear cut case of someone speeding 50+km/h over. (no rogue cops....no 49.5km/h over) The law says the car will be impounded. Why does the guy whine about it when he knows the law? Why do you and others think "due process" must be followed when it's simple. The guy went too fast and now he gets to walk home.

That guy should Man up, grow some ***** and take responsibility for his actions! If he didn't want to risk walking home he should've slowed down.

Just like DUI. Cops get to spend 4 hours filling out form after form after form when some bozo drinks too much at a bar and gets behind the wheel. All this because of "due process", lawyers and other legal crap. If the guy just took responsibility for his actions and accepted his punishment don't you think we'd all be better off? Instead we have a bunch of weasels trying to get out of a legal jam because they feel the punishment doesn't fit the crime they did. Tough crap! You knew the laws.....broke them....and now you get to deal with the consequences.

...and yes, I do that. When I get caught speeding I don't fight it. I have a set of ***** and accept my punishment. No questions.

This lack of personal responsibility is a real pet peeve of mine. I know some cops who don't bother writing up DUI tickets because it takes half their shift to do everything. They could be doing much better things than deal with one POS low-life. So they issue way more 24-hr suspensions then they really should because those don't take too long to do. Then they can get back to their job.

Imagine a world where everyone took their lumps and accepted responsibility for their actions. Too bad I'll never see that happen.
That's all nice but I didn't ask for the rule and why should I have to follow thme when I feel it is utterly stupid. Screw the rules. Screw people who fn make em.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

A bulletin for ya:

Ian
Ian,
that is a pretty idealistic view on the way we can change things in a democracy, unfortunately democracy doesn't seem to be working too well in this country anymore. I've written close to a dozen letters both to my local MP and MPP and it's done squat. I've gotten either automated responses or condescending responses from low level assistants that the "laws are doing good."
And here's a bulletin for you: if it bothers you to read another "Fantino is a turd" thread, you have a choice: don't click on it, or move to another thread!...it's a democracy!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

As for the point about doing something about it, there is no way I will vote for this incompetent government.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 AM
michel944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way you can get rid of Fantino ?

The problem is not going 50 or more over the limit, it's when and where you do it ! On a deserted road you won't surprise the "poor mother" yelling after her kids who can change lanes if you surprise her !!! I mean there should be a distinction with a law like this. If the driver has a long and clean historic and was caught speeding by himself and not downtown or with 1276 cars around him this is a different matter in my book ! And being 50 (years old) doesn't mean someone is not paying attention ....
Old 03-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Instead we have a bunch of weasels trying to get out of a legal jam because they feel the punishment doesn't fit the crime they did.
So EVERYONE is guilty that is charged of a crime? And remember this is the HTA so technically it's not a ‘crime’ but the breaking of a Provincial offence statue.

I like your world. We'd save a lot of money. Oh wait, we'd have to build six times as many prisons and pay for all these guards and raise taxes.

Tough crap! You knew the laws.....broke them....and now you get to deal with the consequences.
You sure you’re from Lotus Land???!!! I know, gross regional generalization.

...and yes, I do that. When I get caught speeding I don't fight it. I have a set of ***** and accept my punishment. No questions.
Good for you. Glad you were guilty and saw the errors of your way. But by your standards – everyone who stands up for themselves is a … a *****?? That’s a double negative I guess.

This lack of personal responsibility is a real pet peeve of mine. I know some cops who don't bother writing up DUI tickets because it takes half their shift to do everything.
Bulls**t!!! If you’re such a stand up guy then you would report these cops. They are NOT doing their jobs. Did you just dream up this argument? The Police here follow procedures and it isn't a 'bother' to process these fools. It is considered a good thing to spend this time and to follow procedures so that they get a conviction. It is part of the job and it is an important part of the job. I have a member of the family who has caught hundreds of drunks behind the wheel in over 30 years of service and he always 'bothered' to remove drunks and Mickey Mouse 24h stop and walk's is NOT the way to teach these people what they are doing is wrong. Tell these cops who don't want to 'bother' to do the paper work to retire. I’m quite sure if they got a 24h – it was because they blew .05-.08 and nothing else.

They could be doing much better things than deal with one POS low-life. So they issue way more 24-hr suspensions then they really should because those don't take too long to do. Then they can get back to their job.
First off - it is quite obvious to me that you know nothing about the process. The arresting officer completes their notes in his or her notebook, fills out the standardized forms and many times is not the same officer with care and control of the suspect who is transported for further testing if they fail the roadside test. In Ontario - a certified breath test operator must perform the testing - this is generally NOT the arresting officer in large centers. In small centers such found in remote areas, the Police management may require officers to have certification but it is not considered efficient – they want officers back out on the road ASAP.

Around these parts, the Police have it down to a science and have quite the system set up when a RIDE program is in operation. In many cases the arresting officer is back out stopping vehicles in under an hour. At the end of shift the notebooks are handed in and the notes data entered for the crown to be able to read by next day. During court the arresting officer and the officer who performed the actual blood alcohol testing - testify to observations about the defendants physical condition, the results of the Alert test and the blood alcohol test and the procedures followed. Usually a slam dunk. Now Metro Police are bringing trailers to road side stops where the certified tester and device is used within minutes of an Alert fail to shorten the time frames. People were blowing 0.9 on Alert tests and an hour later were passing at .07 because of the delay are now are getting convicted because the test was done right away.

Imagine a world where everyone took their lumps and accepted responsibility for their actions. Too bad I'll never see that happen.
Imagine a world where everyone was perfect - including cops, court officials and technology and there were no hidden agenda's by politicians. Too bad we'll never see that happen.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

I dislike some laws too, but as a voter in a 'reasonably free' democratic society, I know that talk is just **** in the wind. If I was really, really passionate about an issue, I would make the effort to change it.

So the ball is in your court . . .
It's in her court I believe - if she has the cash to follow through to Ottawa. On the radio today a lawyer who got the first person off on an over 50 charge in Burlington who said 'this is a default hearing' by the courts in Ottawa who don't have to hear cases - they can say no without reason, suggested they might like to hear this one if they apply. He did say he thought the seizure aspect of this law has been ignored simply because the 'jail' issue stood out - but that the courts in Ottawa may like to wade into the debate about the Charter Section that applies here. The high court like interesting test cases.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:38 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
As for the point about doing something about it, there is no way I will vote for this incompetent government.
It's unfortunate that more of the population can't see through McGuinty and Co.

We need a Rennlist MPP who can represent the interests of the automotive-enthusiast community!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Well, here in Fantino (is a turd) land, we have superhighway 402 going through Sarnia. On occasion, trucks are backed up along the 402 due to border delays at the Bluewater Bridge, up to 10 km away. So, the powers that be have seen fit to reduce the speed limit from what used to be 100km/hr for the entire stretch, to 70 and then rapidly to 50km/hr, on a divided controlled access highway that was designed for full highway speeds. I know a number of people who have had their cars impounded for going 105 through this section, even though there was NO backup of trucks and NO other traffic, except one of Fantino's lackies waiting for the next victim. To say this deserves equal punishment to some brainless half-wit doing 100, or even 60, in a school zone, is absurd.
The point all of us have tried to make is that there are already laws - careless driving under the Highway Traffic Act as well as Dangerous Driving under the Criminal Code - that can deal more appropriately with the problem drivers. Even the title of the law - "Stunt Driving" - is straight from the Ministry of Propaganda. I for one will never support this government at election time.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Well, here in Fantino (is a turd) land, we have superhighway 402 going through Sarnia. On occasion, trucks are backed up along the 402 due to border delays at the Bluewater Bridge, up to 10 km away. So, the powers that be have seen fit to reduce the speed limit from what used to be 100km/hr for the entire stretch, to 70 and then rapidly to 50km/hr, on a divided controlled access highway that was designed for full highway speeds. I know a number of people who have had their cars impounded for going 105 through this section, even though there was NO backup of trucks and NO other traffic, except one of Fantino's lackies waiting for the next victim. To say this deserves equal punishment to some brainless half-wit doing 100, or even 60, in a school zone, is absurd.
The point all of us have tried to make is that there are already laws - careless driving under the Highway Traffic Act as well as Dangerous Driving under the Criminal Code - that can deal more appropriately with the problem drivers. Even the title of the law - "Stunt Driving" - is straight from the Ministry of Propaganda. I for one will never support this government at election time.
That is upsetting, . Thinking it's time to burn down parliament and hang them all.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:57 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Old 03-19-2010, 03:44 PM
michel944
Pro

OMG !!! Greg I vote this for best "picture worth a thousand words" of the year !

Quick Reply: Fantino's mad stunt racing law upheld