Notices

Feds propose more police power

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Feds propose more police power

Under the guise of reducing impaired driving, the feds have been quietly floating a proposal with far-reaching implications that would give police officers the authority to randomly pull over anyone, anywhere, at any time (without cause or reasonable grounds) and administer a breathalyzer test ... and of course inspect for anything else while they are at it.

Check the report at www.justice.gc.ca. You can submit comments until April 30th.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Time to buy a beige Dodge Caravan if this goes through. Stickers on the back should include "MADD", "Baby on Board", and "my son is a honour student at St Ignatius high school". One of the cute cartoon stickers with the stick figures for each member of the family is also good. Niagara Falls sticker a must.
Quietly replace the engine of the Dodge with a Viper V10. Its about the only chance of the odd bout of speeding. Porsche?...fuggetaboutit.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Another 'law and order' package. Make it 'look' like your doing something by clamping down on the avg guy but do nothing on crime as this costs 'real' money.

Gee, hows that gun registration program working in Jane and Finch?

"Although the threshold in the Code for the police to make an ASD demand is relatively low, some studies have shown that many drivers with illegal BACs succeed in getting through roadside checks. In order to detect such drivers, several countries require all drivers to provide a screening device test whenever demanded by the police, without any suspicion that there is alcohol in the driver's body. This procedure is known as Random Breath Testing."
No_it_F**king_isn't! It's called SELECTIVE testing upon OPINION or "I just want to see what's going on in that tinted out Honda Civic". This will be defeated in the high courts under a Charter Challenge at huge costs. Although the Tories know this - they also know crap like this looks good for re-election time. "See, we TRIED Canadians - it's the LIBERAL lead courts who FAILED you scam.

So we're using the standard that because 'several countries' do this - that it's OK for us to abuse our rights? If we go by that standard, do we get to bury people up to their necks and then invite the whole town to stone them until they are dead because they may have been caught cheating? Does anyone see the slope we're sitting on here? I hate the fact that drunk driving causes crashes, injuries and death - but the downside to the 'might is right' way of Government is that we are all human and we all bring baggage to the table when we get elected. Our next laws created could be storming doctors offices to see if 16 year old girls are being given birth control pills because someone 'believes' this to be unlawful. Just saying.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

More fun for the motorist......
Old 03-16-2010, 10:40 AM
IHATECLAIMS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aweful

Old 03-16-2010, 02:02 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may sound stupid, but how do you actually go about giving feedback? I've emailed my MP Olivia Chow several times about issues that I'd like a response on, but only get her stupid marketing **** (self bravado newsletter and constant requests for feedback that nobody responds to) mailed to me.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 PM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by Ronan
Time to buy a beige Dodge Caravan if this goes through. Stickers on the back should include "MADD", "Baby on Board", and "my son is a honour student at St Ignatius high school". One of the cute cartoon stickers with the stick figures for each member of the family is also good. Niagara Falls sticker a must.
Quietly replace the engine of the Dodge with a Viper V10. Its about the only chance of the odd bout of speeding. Porsche?...fuggetaboutit.
LOL !!!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:13 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
... how do you actually go about giving feedback?
The report provides a mailing address as well as an e-mail address to send comments to: ID-consultation-FA@justice.gc.ca. The report is quite lengthy; the random breathalyzer aspect is only one item in the proposal that's sorta buried in the middle of the report.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 PGH 1
The report is quite lengthy; the random breathalyzer aspect is only one item in the proposal that's sorta buried in the middle of the report.

Exactly how they want it.

The other part is the 'random' aspect. It isn't anything of the sort. What it does is give Police the power to 'target' whom they wish. I'm quite sure after a few years of this law - the data will be forced out of them under access rules and it won't 'show' very well. The Toronto Star is already all over Metro Police on how they have stopped twice as many black men as any other single group.

What do you think will happen under these laws after they are introduced? Does anyone really believe that this is about drinking and driving OR about going up to a car with an alert device in your back pocket as the 'excuse' but with the prime goal of 'inspecting' the car or driver for other issues. The Star went ape over the slips of paper that cops are supposed to fill out when stopping people - and the reasons for stopping them. Now the only information will be? They don't have to say 'why'.

The lobby group called the Canadian Chiefs of Police are all over this section - I've heard they pushed hard for this. 'Probable cause' is for Pinko Commie NDP'ers they shout. Guess which a$$wipe is the head of this group? ONE stormtrooping guess?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:17 PM
vipola
Racer

This may be off topic, but even if i'm not excited by cops having the authority to pull over who they want for any reason (they do it allready anyway), I need to admit that as a P-car driver, I don't feel like been a cops target. When I was using my motorcycle as a daily driving, they pulled me over at Least once a week for a 'paper checkup' or whatever b*$hit reason just to be sure everything was in order, and complaning about flasher or muffler, etc..
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent a response to them. I'm all for safety of the public, but I cannot endorse a law that enables individual police officers to act as judge and jury. I'm a big supporter of the police, but recent events in Ontario have clouded my rosy view of policing and the ability for the crown to prosecute abuses of power.

Quick Reply: Feds propose more police power