Notices

Does anyone know an acceptable alternative to PCA's IDS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:11 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Charlie, if you've already got that much experience under your belt, why bother with PCA? The IDS will be a nice brush-up on some basics, but not very exciting beyond that, and I think you'll find the green group to be frustratingly-slow. If you really want to drive with PCA, see if you can bypass IDS and green and go straight to yellow, where at least you won't be constantly stuck behind 10 cars going 60 km/h. Even in my 72 with 135 hp, last time I drove green I was going nuts - luckily they moved me up to yellow that day, which was better, but still had quite a few really slow people too nervous to allow me to pass. Not that there's anything wrong with that - those guys need a place to drive where they're comfortable - that was me not so long ago. But I'm past that now and it sounds like you may be, too.
I may be past it, yes, but I still have the occasional bad habit. I definitely have no problem starting in green, and am even open to going to the IDS day (if I do manage to get in).

I'm getting the sense that PCA administrators take a lot of flack from people who missed the cut on registration for these schools: maybe a lot of people get angry when they can't get in (which is not my situation). In any case, I'll wait and see.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Seems to me they've been overloaded with people in green and yellow for years, yet under-loaded (is that a word?) in the upper skill levels. I've heard it said before that the instructor group is populated by people who like to drive on the newbies' dimes (because they only pay half reg fees if they're instructing). I find that to be a little pessimistic, but there does seem to be a significant problem with overloading in the lower ranks with no desire to do anything about it (like schedule green/yellow only DEs, or a few extra IDS's) despite the fact that they're revenue-generating events.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:21 PM
vipola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really can't do it with PCA, go with an instructor at CMP Lapping
Old 03-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

Seems to me they've been overloaded with people in green and yellow for years, yet under-loaded (is that a word?) in the upper skill levels. I've heard it said before that the instructor group is populated by people who like to drive on the newbies' dimes (because they only pay half reg fees if they're instructing). I find that to be a little pessimistic, but there does seem to be a significant problem with overloading in the lower ranks with no desire to do anything about it (like schedule green/yellow only DEs, or a few extra IDS's) despite the fact that they're revenue-generating events.
valid thoughts however; if they run green/yellow de's who will instruct?
if they run more isds then there would be more overload for green/yellow.
the instructors do not get paid, they do devote a good portion of their day to instructing students so they do get a discount on track fees. this system has worked for a number of years now and I can't think of a better system for the club (not that I have anything to do with planning how track days are run).
Old 03-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Christien
Race Car

My suggestion was doing green/yellow only DEs at tracks like TMP, instructors don't drive but are paid, but students aren't with an instructor 100% of the time. Maybe first sessions are always with instructor, then some solo time, then back and forth like that. Too dangerous at Mosport, but at a safer track I think it would work.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:28 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

My suggestion was doing green/yellow only DEs at tracks like TMP, instructors don't drive but are paid, but students aren't with an instructor 100% of the time. Maybe first sessions are always with instructor, then some solo time, then back and forth like that. Too dangerous at Mosport, but at a safer track I think it would work.
I would bet that there would be a lot of quality trade-offs to that kind of event, especially with respect to the quality of the instructors. I can definitely see why they do it the way they do, now. A green/yellow only event would also be competing with a lot of other similar events by other organizations, and its (presumably) higher price than an open lapping day might make it harder for PCA to make the case for entering it when other organizations also offer some level of "instruction."

Interesting idea, though.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:50 PM
vipola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about instructor who need to do a few hours driving?? and taking days off of work?? It worth it to go drive the track and instruct other between your session, and have a discount for your day.. but I'm sure many would'nt do it just to go instruct at the track and not drive :P
Old 03-12-2010, 05:08 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Yeah, that's what I was getting at, too.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:25 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 194 Posts

So of these IDS options, can anyone recommend the best one to do some DE in my 260Z, preferably during the week......want to get some experience before I put the 993tt GQ on the track.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:28 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
So of these IDS options, can anyone recommend the best one to do some DE in my 260Z, preferably during the week......want to get some experience before I put the 993tt GQ on the track.
Ronnie, is going to Shannonville an option? If so, I know of one coming up, and there will likely be a couple of Zs there. PM me, if you're interested.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:29 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

i have a lot of respect for the instructors I've had at PCA DE's and I've learned something everytime. But seeing the way some of the students drive, you've got to have nerves of steel and a cast iron stomach. I don't think I ever want to be promoted to instructor, the discount to attend wouldn't be worth the fear and diapers I'd go through!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I would bet that there would be a lot of quality trade-offs to that kind of event, especially with respect to the quality of the instructors.
There already are trade offs. I can only speak for UCR, not all of PCA, but I will tell you that there are plenty of good instructors, even some excellent, but there are just as many mediocre, and even a few terrible ones. I had one instructor spend the whole time critiquing my car and problems with it, basically playing a "my d!ck is bigger than yours" game. Next time I did a UCR day I specifically said "not him, or I won't come".
Old 03-12-2010, 06:21 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I was accepted into the Green PCA with the BMW Advanced Driver II training certificate fwiw...

I did 4 PCA days... and I wasn't able to move up a colour! I was told that I needed to be more tame with my car and my right foot before moving up to a faster league... The instructor was right btw.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:19 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by peritus
I was accepted into the Green PCA with the BMW Advanced Driver II training certificate fwiw...

I did 4 PCA days... and I wasn't able to move up a colour! I was told that I needed to be more tame with my car and my right foot before moving up to a faster league... The instructor was right btw.
I definitely still have bad habits, and it's not as though I'm too proud to change them: In general, I've found the process of having an instructor call me on what I'm doing wrong to be one of the most inspiring and challenging exercises I've ever encountered, even at my relatively low level.

No matter what the outcome of the waiting list, I'm determined to spend 10 days on track this summer. I certainly hope that many of them can be DE days.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 PM
TomTiddler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Dexter AutoSport - good bunch of people, great instructors, never seems too crowded, and great enforcement of the very few sensible rules. BTW, I have no connection with this organization, but after failing to get a slot at PCA's IDS 3 years in a row I gave up, and Dexter was recommended. This'll be my third year with Dexter.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know an acceptable alternative to PCA's IDS?