furnace not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
And that took all of 15 minutes. We're in the wrong business.

I had one fail for no reason a couple of months ago.
From what I know, these modern breakers get weaker every time they pop. So if they do it enough times, they can fail.
$125 is not so bad, the $hitty part is, most of it was probalby for the emergency service call.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Steve Martin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$89 for the call +tx. $25 for the breaker!!!! Cdn tire sells them for $12 + change.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Which I could understand if the ignition module had anything to do with "gas".
The 'theory' is that you've got some guy asking for a part that requires him to take off the cover <which has warning stickers applied by law> to get into the burner area and even though you are right - that your not working on the gas valve - they don't know what else your doing. They don't if you’re a dumb *** or if your someone with good grey matter between their ears. If I ran that business I wouldn't sell to you either - no offence.

Good that your able to find and fix your problem - but many people don't know a Philips from a Robertson and *still* want to stick their hands where they shouldn't - maybe because they figure it's worth some 'spousal points'??

I have a friend who worked for Johnson Controls for many years before going off on his own and he has many stories of going into basements where the homeowner 'tried' to 'fix' his furnace on his own and then figured out he was in over his head and called him in. He's had to call the fire dept and the gas companies a couple of times as a result of these shade tree attempted repairs.

Ask yourself this question: We've all had 'one of those neighbours'... Would you feel secure living next door to him if you knew he could buy these parts and was working on his furnace right now?

Regulations were created to protect us from the few percent of the population who know enough to be dangerous about these products and 'want to give it a go'.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
From what I know, these modern breakers get weaker every time they pop. So if they do it enough times, they can fail.
True, but the one that failed never popped in the past...in fact none have popped on my panel since I bought the place new. You need a short or overload for a breaker to pop.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Ask yourself this question: We've all had 'one of those neighbours'... Would you feel secure living next door to him if you knew he could buy these parts and was working on his furnace right now?
Hell, we drive with other people on the road that are incompetent. Our chances are far greater getting killed in that scenario. I would know; an inbred kid yapping on a cell phone ran into the back of my motorcycle while I was stopped in traffic. Its why I ended up with a 993.

We also have people working on vehicle brake systems who may not know what they are doing; maybe even a neighbour.

What I hate are the self made up rules by these companies so they can essentially print money. You're not dealing with the swiftest guys in these trades which is very apparent when you ask them anything technical. They'll have a text book answer, but don't throw them a curve ball. I refuse to pay someone a lot more than I make per hour, that knows a lot less.

My fix was easily found. The main valve was cutting out after about 30 seconds. The voltage would start at 22V and slowly decrease to 13V when the valve would cut out. I was losing all my voltage across one relay contact (the voltage would start at zero and increase across the contact which is a sign of a faulty relay).

Edited to add: Just because someone is licenced does not mean they care or even know what they are doing. I had to fix two leaks in my new house within the first two years. Both leaks we due to incompetence (want details?). Luckily I live in a bungalow so I could get to them easily.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

an inbred kid yapping on a cell phone ran into the back of my motorcycle while I was stopped in traffic. Its why I ended up with a 993.
Hope you don't have any lasting injuries as a result.

Edited to add: Just because someone is licenced does not mean they care or even know what they are doing.
Yes, I have a Toyota!! Just because someone 'claims' they are the best - doesn't mean they are. Quality can be subjective when beancounters are around... Same with licenced trades - someone had to be at the bottom 5% of the class scores during training/certification.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Hope you don't have any lasting injuries as a result.
I'm sure the insurance company in Europe would like to close the file, but I told my lawyer over there, it ain't over till I'm 100% back to normal. That means I don't want an ounce of pain remaining. The good thing is the insurance company has to pay my lawyer directly.

Yes, I have a Toyota!! Just because someone 'claims' they are the best - doesn't mean they are. Quality can be subjective when beancounters are around... Same with licenced trades - someone had to be at the bottom 5% of the class scores during training/certification.
Rest assured that at least one Air Canada pilot is good. I trained him and did not let him (or any other student) get away with anything. He was one of my best commercial students and later got hired on at AC.

I drive a Honda, but prefer a Toyota, having owned and worked on both and seeing how they are put together.

Quick Reply: furnace not working