Notices

furnace not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Steve Martin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default furnace not working

anyone know of a reliable furnace guy? I got up for work this morning, and, CHILL it's freezing in here. My pilot light in on but the furnace is out. Also the thermostat won't come on either( maybe it the thermostat?) I'm selling my home in the comming weeks, so I don't want to spend a fortune.

thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM
strife_wy
Intermediate

My furnace induction motor went out a few weeks ago and my house dropped down to 5 degrees at one point (!)

I used Enbridge for my repair but you have to buy their service as part of a warranty package. I called a few places and at least for me, the repair cost from a independent was about 90% the price of Enbridge's warranty. The warranty is transferrable. I'm selling the house in a few weeks as well so I was in the same boat.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:11 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Is the air intake pipe on the outside of your house clear of snow and ice? a bottle brush works fine for clearing the pipe.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM sent.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
duncan1437
Advanced

i had a Sears furnace installed about a year ago. i was very unhappy with the installation and complained to Sears. then Sears had another contractor (JC Heating in hamilton) remove the furnace and install a brand new one and i was very happy with their work

JC Heating hamilton 905 388 7679

http://www.weblocal.ca/j-c-heating-c...milton-on.html
Old 02-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by why try
anyone know of a reliable furnace guy? I got up for work this morning, and, CHILL it's freezing in here. My pilot light in on but the furnace is out. Also the thermostat won't come on either( maybe it the thermostat?) I'm selling my home in the comming weeks, so I don't want to spend a fortune.

thanks
If the programable thermostat (I assume) does not display, change the batteries in it according to the statement above. Don't know what you have so I am going by the programable type. Most units will "click" when they turn on the furnace. Check to see if it does, if not, replace it.

Best I can do with the info I have.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

pilot light ? how old is your freakin furnace

As Greg pointed out make sure your vent is clear ... before even starting on a high or mid efficiency furnace the inducation fan should start for the exhaust gasses . in starting it should close a vacuum switch atached to a ruber tube which hangs off the motor , and also trip a flow switch which is in the path of the induction fan .. this tells the igniter to go ahead and opens the gas valve.
if the heat sensor which sits in the flame path does not heat up within 1 second it assumes it didn't light and turns off the gas valve . the cycle repeats dependant onthe furnace and may error out eventualy.

This is of course assuming the thermostat is working ...

But Like Jaak said , not much to go on ,,, gas furnace ? oil ? type ? make ?
anyway I am sure you have it fixed .. and I haven't seen any mushroom clouds so oyu didn't make a mistake trying to fix it yourself.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
pilot light ? how old is your freakin furnace

As Greg pointed out make sure your vent is clear ... before even starting on a high or mid efficiency furnace the inducation fan should start for the exhaust gasses . in starting it should close a vacuum switch atached to a ruber tube which hangs off the motor , and also trip a flow switch which is in the path of the induction fan .. this tells the igniter to go ahead and opens the gas valve.
if the heat sensor which sits in the flame path does not heat up within 1 second it assumes it didn't light and turns off the gas valve . the cycle repeats dependant onthe furnace and may error out eventualy.

This is of course assuming the thermostat is working ...

But Like Jaak said , not much to go on ,,, gas furnace ? oil ? type ? make ?
anyway I am sure you have it fixed .. and I haven't seen any mushroom clouds so oyu didn't make a mistake trying to fix it yourself.
Yup, if the intake pipe is clear then probably the thermo probe is your problem. My father used to replace his, himself, almot every year. 2 week ago finally got a 96% efficiency variable speed, 2 stage furnace. Much better than the old, made in 1980, giant.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You probably fixed it by now . If not here is some suggestions. You have a basic gas furnace. There is no intake pipe or ventor (exhaust) motor.
Did you check the fuse?
What type of thermostat do you have? If you have a digital t-stat try changing the batteries.
If you have a fan switch on the thermostat turn to on to see if fan motor comes on.
Sometimes there is a low voltage fuse (old style car fuses) close to the transformer to protect the low voltage circuit (24 volts). You could see if that blew.
Your info was pretty basic. I can't think of what else to look for.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

maybe he froze to death ? ....or keeping warm with his Avatar ?...... look honey the furnace is out agaian .. 3rd time this week ....
Old 02-09-2010, 09:49 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 482 Posts

I don't want to spend a fortune.
Well you are going to unless you are prepared to fix it yourself. That trade along with electrical and plumbing seem to have you write blank cheques.

I needed a new ignition module which also controls the pilot and main valves.

It ran for $403 locally plus the service call, but they wouldn't even sell it to me claiming you need to have a licence. A licence for what; I'm not working on anything related to gas as in gas fittings.

I got the same part from the US for $129 shipped.

I later fixed my old unit and now have a spare. It needed a relay; I replaced both relays for $5.00.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Most hvac suppliers won't sell parts for gas furnaces that have anything to do with the gas end of the furnace. Filter's, thermostats you could probably get.
It's mainly for liability reasons.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:32 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian 162
Most hvac suppliers won't sell parts for gas furnaces that have anything to do with the gas end of the furnace.
Which I could understand if the ignition module had anything to do with "gas".

Their loss, my gain.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Steve Martin
Pro

Default thanks

got fixed.

breaker died! the freakin breaker at the panel stopped

$125 later, but warmer
Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

got fixed.

breaker died! the freakin breaker at the panel stopped

$125 later, but warmer
And that took all of 15 minutes. We're in the wrong business.

I had one fail for no reason a couple of months ago.

Quick Reply: furnace not working