Notices

Popping my post cherry!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010 | 01:01 AM
PPP944
Intermediate

Default Popping my post cherry!

hello all,

name's Brian Penner. im 24 and i live in Bolton, Ontario, and this is my first post!

just got my first P-car in september '09; somehow didn't find this forum until now! was a purely japanese car driver up to that point, having owned a handful of 240SX's, an Infiniti M30 and a couple of RX-7's; never thought i'd own a Porsche until mine came along...

i drive an '88 944, originally from Pennsylvania; burgundy (not sure of technical name for this colour) on white/burgundy interior; 114,xxx miles. my uncle was moving to California and was desperate to sell, and my previous daily driver had just crapped out on me that very week...so believe it or not, with the family discount, i only paid $1000 for this car.

Sachs aftermarket shocks all around, cone air filter...otherwise pretty much stock. only had it on the road for a month and a half before parking it for the winter. she currently sleeps in my heated garage under a cover, started once a week...im anxious for my first full summer with her!

plans for the spring are:

-wheels/tires (staggered, looking for 9.5-10" in the back and at least 8" in the front, 17 or 18 inch diameter)
-stainless cat-back
-performance springs
-aftermarket steering wheel
-full detailing and wax/polish (hood is a bit tarnished)
-black leather oem 944 front seats (my driver's bolster has a tear and i hate the white)
-turbo rear valance (already purchased, just need to get it paint-matched and mounted)
-light body-work to front right (something fell on it in my uncle's garage; dented passenger fender)

if anybody is selling any of these parts, or can at least lead me in the right direction towards obtaining them locally, it would be greatly appreciated. i'm still fairly new and clueless when it comes to the P-car community in ontario, and right now i can't justify spending $17 just to get access to the classifieds...but i'll probably crack sooner or later. i would love to be able to find these parts locally instead of paying out the wazoo for shipping from the US or Europe. you can PM me or e-mail brian@penners.ca

and of course a picture of my car right before she went into storage (apologies for crappy BlackBerry camera resolution):

damn phone-dials and balloon tires!

anyways, nice to meet ya!
Old 02-07-2010 | 03:47 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Welcome to the Canada Forum Brian, glad to have you aboard.
Old 02-07-2010 | 06:55 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Brian, nice to see you here.
I don't think it is a good idea to start it, and not drive it. Hot spots inside engine
from static long term idling do more damage, than left alone untill drivien regularly.
It should be right in the manual.
Old 02-07-2010 | 10:10 AM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Great car. You will not have more fun with any other vehicle. I have owned a Carrera (I would like another one), and now own a 944. They are easy to work on, and if you shop patiently, there are some great deals.

Enjoy the car!

James
Old 02-07-2010 | 10:18 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Congrats! Maybe you should consider driving it in the winter
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2010 | 10:36 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Welcoma aboard .. Mark was just saying the other day we don't have many 944 guys on here .. what a weird coincidence .. you will have to make the trek down to one of our get togethers with your car in the spring .. if i come from Cambridge .. you really have no excuse

hope to see you there
Old 02-07-2010 | 10:42 AM
metal144
Advanced

Hi Brian

Welcome to the forum you will all the help you will need here from some of the most knowledgeable P car people on the net. I would look at those service records first to see if the timing belt maintenance was done if it's not make it the first thing on your list (if you need tools you can borrow mine). You can find most everything you need around the GTA or here check your pm box and send me a picture of your seat is it linen........ car looks great.
Old 02-07-2010 | 10:55 AM
Christien
Race Car

Welcome from a previous 944 owner! You'll love it, and with the 2nd generation, you've got a nicer interior, and hopefully less electrical gremlins to deal with than I did.

Is your headlight motor broken? Pain in the ***, isn't it? Cheap and easy to replace, though - I got one for I think $100 used, took just a few minutes to swap it out. I found working on it pretty easy - a bit more complicated than my 72 911, but that's because of things like coolant, DME, etc that I wasn't used to. Make sure you find the Pelican Parts forums - lots of good 944 tech guys over there.
Old 02-07-2010 | 11:42 AM
ipanzer64
Intermediate

Welcome Brian I too am new here , great bunch of guys!
Old 02-07-2010 | 11:48 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Hi Brian and welcome to the board. I had a 944 up to last year and did all my own work on it. A couple of things. Unless you know with certainty the replacement date, mileage on the timing/balance belts don't run the engine. In fact don't run the engine at all unless you get the chance of getting it hot. That means driving. I bought a lot of stuff off Evilbay, Pelican parts and Pelican are good guys. Locally Whaletail in Waterloo carries alot of 944 used stuff as does Nineapart, they're closer to you by Beeton.

it's not for me to suggest what you should or shouldn't do with your car but there are some things that will really help in the handling dept with the stock set-up. Bushings, Bushing, and Bushings. Up front, the sway bar bushings get killed by power steering fluid. On the control arms the castor block rubber rots away. Thats an important one as movement changes the geometry, especially on cornering. At the rear the suspension bushings are rubber and those too degrade to the detriment of handling. Considering that handling is what the 944 is best known for you might want to look at those, especially since they're pretty inexpensive if you stay stock. Now on the other hand you could go custom and aftermarket and find out real fast how that thing will suck your pocket dry.
Old 02-07-2010 | 11:53 AM
PPo
Drifting

Bolton eh? Well, that is where my shop and all my 944 parts are! I don't get up there much in the winter, but in the summer you will have to drop by and we can see if there are any parts you need..

Welcome to the forum!

-P
Old 02-07-2010 | 11:57 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Hey, welcome from a current 944 Turbo owner!
Old 02-07-2010 | 01:23 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Nice to see another non 911 owner here. Just as said above, first have the timing belt soreted out then worry about the rest. On the 928, the entire exhaust is already stainless from the factory, wouldn't be suprised if the 944 is the same.
Old 02-07-2010 | 02:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

my S was stainless .. not sure about the 8v ..
Old 02-07-2010 | 09:07 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
my S was stainless .. not sure about the 8v ..
Yes all 944 factory exhausts are stainless.

Quick Reply: Popping my post cherry!