Notices

New To Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 02 Box S. In 3 years (other than maint) i've replaced the alt,one fog light,cv boots (I did all 4), rear tires and a coolant cap. I keep notes on everthing I do in a log book.

In my books that's nothing, i've done that for my 1/2 ton and buick suv.
I did save the labour costs due to doing my own work. ( I enjoy it).
So far (knock on wood) I've not done anything that any other vehicle wouldn't need.

What's the price on the fun factor? There is no subsitute (seriously)
The Boxster in particular has a rabid following, with a great community, both here and a few other sites with a wealth of knowledge.

If you don't like the Box, don't buy one. I mean, buy the car you want. Don't go out and buy a model because you can't afford the one you want. I like roadsters and it fits the bill. Some folks talk about entry level cars or the cheapest way to own a Porsche. Don't buy into it lol. If I had a thing for 944s i'd own one. Some people do buy a marque just to say they own a xyz brand. Nuts to that.

Time to shut the hell up.

Jim
Old 01-01-2010, 11:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

Wurthguy you are looking or a nice Carrera and thy do pop up time ot time . don't limit your search to North of the border. Carreras are RIV exempt as they are over 15 years old and their are some great deals out there .. check out the 911 forum as they do pop up time to time ..
Old 01-01-2010, 04:20 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Also check out the PCA websites classifieds:

http://pcaucr.org/index.php/classifieds
http://www.niagarapca.org/classifieds
Old 01-01-2010, 09:55 PM
wurthguy
Track Day

Thanks to everyone as the advice is appreciated !! I figure I have a couple of months to keep searching until the "season" starts. I have a couple of solid looking candidates to follow up on. I really like the helpful and straight forward attitudes of the members here !
Old 01-12-2010, 05:51 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Holy crap!! No one told me they were expensive to run! Wanna buy a 993tt??
Serious?

How much?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 PM
GTA_G20
Racer

Originally Posted by Ronnienorthyork
This is a reply to red996 who asked me if i'm sure i want a boxster.....?!? well not really, my favorite all time porsche car is the porsche targa but its out of my price range at the moment.
But i do know that i want a porsche and soon i grew up with that image ....
I too bought a boxster this fall. I wanted a roadster not a coupe with 4 seats. I wanted a vert not a hardtop. I dont need 300+hp as I wont be going to the track or opening it up on public roads to lose my license and have my car towed.

The boxster is a fun car, I'd prefer a 987 non-s over a 986 non s or 987s. But if you decide to go 986, I'd do a 986s.

Only thing I regret was getting a tiptronic but at the price I got my 986 non-s I couldn't say no.

If you like it nothing else matters. Yes a 911 will always be faster but fun factor isn't only limited to the carrera...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Ronnienorthyork
AutoX

Thank you for that gta_g20. My only concern with boxsters is how i am going to drive it in the winter. I don't have space for a 2nd car. I live in a condo with one parking space. I realize i can put on some winter tires...but... what about the soft top versus the snow / ice in canada. (I am lucky i'm in toronto and the winter isn't too bad compared to the rest of canada)
Ronnie.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a hardtop for my Boxster so that I can drive it in winter (and take it to the track in summer )
Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

1. Don't buy Porsche with a loan, (unless it's got a CPO or is new) because if ****** happens your stuck with a car loan and may not have the money to pay for repairs.

2. Maintenance budgets are based upon distance driven for the most part. Drive it a lot - spend more money on maintenance. Drive the odd sunday (whats the point-just sayin?) and you'll with luck, spend money on one oil change per year.

3. You don't *need* 300HP??? Everyone needs this! I need more. It's good to KNOW you have it even if you don't use it. Ask Kirk if he NEEDED a Warp Drive that gave him warp 9? Did he 'need' it? Well, Ok, yes, but thats not the point. OK, I lost my train of thought now.... <binking curser>

4. For your budget a 996 is easily within your grasp, perhaps even a 993 and certainly a 911. By a Boxster for the *right* reasons not because it is only what you think you can afford. Spend a little less of your budget to leave room for first year maintenance and then start a savings account for there after. It won't feel so bad when you get a bill for some repair when you have the money in the bank for this already.

5. Spend the money (about $300) on a PPI - **mandatory**. Take it to a dealer or good Indy and have the the IMS, RMS and clutch checked over as a starting point. I took my car to a dealer, (no names - but they are north of Steeles Ave.) and wasn't unhappy - but not happy either. Many Indy's will do a better job because they don't have 18 SUV's lined up at the service bay with whining owners jawing away at the counter about a loose ashtray or something while they 'rush' my PPI through at 2x the speed they should to fix the housewive's issues. Many can give you some names of Indy's here - my vote is Courtney at Autowerks - others have their fav's that are fine as well.

6. Enjoy what you buy - no matter the brand.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:29 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

my budget is around 35000 so that probably limits me to the boxster....)
For $35,000 you have lots of options - Boxter, 993, 996. I bought a private sale 993 c4 out of the US last summer - with all the duties and other gouging, it still cost less than $35,000 CDN. Found the seller on Rennlist by the way.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:13 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the best way to decide what you want is to go out and drive the different models. Drive a 993, a 911, a 996, a boxster... I think the car will choose you in the end.

I'd head over to a dealership and take out a pre-owned for a test drive. Great way to introduce yourself to the cars and how different models feel. You could even explain to them that you are in the market for something, but not sure what and that you'd like to take out a couple different models back to back. You never know, you may find a car at the dealership you like. I don't know a lot about Porsche's pre-owned program, but I believe that they offer warranties and that all of their cars have excellent histories - no stories. Of course, you'll also pay more than a private sale.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for that gta_g20. My only concern with boxsters is how i am going to drive it in the winter. I don't have space for a 2nd car. I live in a condo with one parking space. I realize i can put on some winter tires...but... what about the soft top versus the snow / ice in canada. (I am lucky i'm in toronto and the winter isn't too bad compared to the rest of canada)
Ronnie.
Friend of mine has this for winter duties.
http://www.zeintec-usa.com/
Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Just read over this thread for the first time.

This is a reply to red996 who asked me if i'm sure i want a boxster.....?!? well not really, my favorite all time porsche car is the porsche targa but its out of my price range at the moment.
But i do know that i want a porsche and soon i grew up with that image ....
Then why are you considering a boxster? What model of targa do you want? (they've been making them for over 40 years now...) If you're talking "classic" 911, you'd have a hard time spending $35K on even the best example of 964s (1990-1994). I was strongly considering buying a high-mileage 1991 cabrio from Arkansas for $17K. Documents from birth, no problems, no stories (at least according to seller, PPI would confirm hopefully). So say you spent $25K on a really cherry model, you'd have 10K left in reserves for any repair jobs.

Depending on maintenance history, I wouldn't think you'd be any safer (maintenance-wise) in a boxster than you would in an older 911. In fact, it might be the other way around. Unfortunately, boxsters are suffering the "curse of the 944" - with the price of entry so low, many people can afford to get into them, but can't afford to keep up with them, and thus neglect maintenance. I had an 83 944 for a while that was a victim of this. Such a shame, but I gave up on it when maintenance was surpassing the value of the car - something was always breaking with that car. On the other hand, my 37-year old 911 has been well maintained over its life, and is dead-nuts reliable for about $1000 a year in maintenance (including oil changes), and I drive the snot out of that car at the track. In fact, it's usually the reliable one when the other car(s) in the family have issues.

So research, test drive, and buy what you like, not what you think you can afford, which I think you'd end up regretting. If it doesn't set your heart on fire, it's not the car for you.

(btw, I used to own a 99 boxster - sold it after a year and a half. Just not the car for me, plus first-gen non-S boxsters were really underpowered, IMO)
Old 01-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Ronnienorthyork
AutoX

I think the best advice so far i have received (and there is lots of good advice on this forum, thank you) is that i need to go out and test drive as many cars as possible and then buy the one i fall in love with. Although i do wonder how many dealers or private sellers would let me do that if they smell i'm only in it for the test drive....?!?
Ronnie.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:32 PM
GTA_G20
Racer

Not to mention its winter. but if they do let you take a car out, good luck leaving without signing paperwork. Whoever it is that allows you to drive a porsche for a test in the winter will have to hear their boss chirp in there ear for letting a sale get away not to mention the car went out for a 'spin'

Quick Reply: New To Porsche