Notices

Holiday driving and the Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:26 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Holiday driving and the Porsche

I'm usually the first guy in the room to proudly proclaim that I drive my Porsche year round, but there is one condition that strikes fear in my heart at this time of year: the holiday shopper/driver! What's with people this time of year? Too much eggnog? Candy cane jabbed in the cerebral cortex? I ventured out to the local Sobey's to do some grocery shopping and had to move out of my lane not once, not twice, but three times to avoid being rear-ended while stopped at lights by some idiot in a minivan/suv/fart-canned Honda. This in a 5 km trip! C'mon people, there isn't any snow, the roads are dry, the visibility is good...this isn't a major challenge!
I think I'll venture out to the garage, give the car a ONR sponge bath and plug in the CTEK until it's safe to play outside again after Jan 2nd.

rant over
Old 12-24-2009, 12:10 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Seems that people being so happy and nice to their friends and family makes them irritable ******** to anyone they don't know. I stay away from public places as much as a can during this time of the year.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I think many people really get off on getting angry at other people and being ********. I'm not sure why - maybe it's because they themselves are f##kups and are always getting yelled at, so they feel it's their turn to pass it on. Probably the same reason they yell at their kids a lot and raise another generation of angry people. But I don't understand why people get stressed at christmas - if it's because of all the rushing around and shopping that you hate doing, plan better and start earlier - it's your own fault. I knew I wasn't going to get to xmas shopping until after we got back from FL last week, so I'm accepting of the crowds, lines, parking at the far end of the lot, etc.

Otherwise, christmas/holidays/whatever is about relaxing and enjoying life with your family - get on with enjoying it, already! (says the guy at work in a home office with the scent of mulled wine gradually filling the house )
Old 12-24-2009, 12:27 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed this morning that my Ford Edge got keyed while my wife was at the hospital visiting her sister-in-law who is dying of cancer. Merry F**king Christmas to some ******* out there....
Old 12-24-2009, 02:23 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Seems that people being so happy and nice to their friends and family makes them irritable ******** to anyone they don't know. I stay away from public places as much as a can during this time of the year.
I think that's a good idea, For Their Sake.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:35 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

walked into that one.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:00 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
walked into that one.
LOL

Seasnons Greetings.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

i think Drivers in General are getting Stupider on our Roads...
Old 12-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Only minutes after having read this thread yesterday, I received a distressed call from my wife telling me she was hit from behind, while she was stopped in the left lane, as two cars ahead of her someone was turning left into a sidestreet. At 40kph some asswipe, not paying attention (either texting, chatting up the gal in the passenger seat, sipping his Christmas blend Cafe Latte, or other wise), realized too late that he left his brains back home, and plowed into the back end of my wife's car. I sped to the scene, to see my poor wife quite shaken and in severe pain (head, neck, back and chest), still in the car having been advised by 911 dispatch not to move. The feeling that overcomes you at that point is quite powerful. After seeing that she was coherent, and EMS on the scene applying back and neck brace, I was certainly hoping the police would just turn their attention away for but a brief moment to allow me the opportunity to thoroughly express myself to this clown. Personally I think the word "accident" is too often overused and that instead of "accident reports" we should consider calling them what they really are - "lack of responsibility/sorry I got my license in pack of bubble gum/Oh, should I be paying attention to what I am doing while holding onto the wheel of ton and a half of moving metal plastic and rubber report"
Close to 5 hours in Emergency, and the relieved assurance of no internal injuries, we were finally able to go home, enjoy being home together for the balance of Christmas eve and be thankful that Daddy didn't hand "little **** for brains" the keys to the Hummer...

Season's greetings to all Rennlisters from a fellow and very thankful (and trying hard to be a forgiving) Rennlister.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:27 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that your wife is OK.
This makes me think back to the day a guy fell asleep driving a 10 Ton truck and took the driver's side off my car. I remember getting out and looking at the totalled car and immediately feeling grateful because I wasn't hurt. I wasn't even mad at the guy. Just ahppy to be OK.
It is amazing how quickly we boil things down to what really matters at times of crisis.

Have a great holiday with your family.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:08 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,148 Likes on 822 Posts

Wow Glen that is Bad .. I can just imagine gow this Kid felt with an Angry German Giant comin at him .. probably needs a new diaper..

Anyway Hope Sasha is feeling better and you guys are having a relaxing Christmas,

All the best
Old 12-26-2009, 10:45 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap! I wish your wife a speedy recovery.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:13 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Glenn, so sorry to hear about this. Wish Sasha a quick recovery from Barb and I.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

So far this year:
(1)Stopped at a stop sign, rear ended in the M6 by a woman who said she was watching the kids on the sidewalk. $1700 and she bounced the check.
(2) Parked at gym, someone hit front of M6 , drove away , no idea who t was.
(3) Cayenne valet parked at Christmas in Philly. Later noticed trim strip missing from bottom of driver side wheel arch and marks on the from tire.

There is a lot of wonderful driving out there,folks..
Old 12-31-2009, 01:54 PM
eddy915
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear so many of us have had bad luck. Here is the breakdown for me since 2003.

1. Fully stopped at red light a car length away from the vehicle ahead of me....watched car behind me fully stop...then I notice headlights coming from behind that car...before I knew it, my car impacted the car behind me. Of course it was a STUPID taxi driver who plowed into us and caused a 4 car accident.
2. Fully stopped at a stop sign in front of Harry Rosen in Yorkville. All of a sudden, a big truck decides to go the wrong way on the street and take out my front end. Anyways, dumb *** parking enforcement guy comes by 20 minutes later when I'm waiting for a tow and puts a ticket on my windshield...I notice him and run out of the car to confront him. He wasn't nice and in the end had to argue with him in order to get ticket reversed and he said that he would "try" to reverse it but didn't promise to. Anyways, I'm not sure if it was reversed or not as I had a couple of outstanding tickets already and paid all at once.
3. Pumping gas and watching some dumbass #$#%%@ flying into the spot in front my my car...anyways...he hit the bumper...and came out screaming. The guy jumps outta the car and starts cursing at me. Anyways, I wanted to beat on the little guy...but there were cameras all around. Anyways, in the end he was threatening me with violence and I had to call the cops because he refused to provide insurance. Cops never came...and finally got his info. Spoke to cops later about the threats and was told basically unless he does something then they can't do a thing...great..thanks for your help!
4. Putting air in tire at gas station. Big truck decides to back up...there goes part the front end.
5. Driving Southbound on Yonge near Bloor in the right lane...car decides to pull out into my lane...bang...front corner damaged and scrapes across the side of my car.
6. Filling up gas. Old couple turns in and hits my car. They were very apologetic and there was only a little damage. The old lady was crying and I figured it was probably only a $500 fix...so I just let it go...
7. One more accident that I can't recall at this time....but I was fully stopped.

Quick Reply: Holiday driving and the Porsche