Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hi Renn Canada

Soz if in wrong forum,
Pontifex4, gave me the link...

looking at importing the s2 cab, over. Wife is in Missisauga,
my Visa came through, so am looking at my first landing in March
Got a lot of good advise on my original link
90 s2 cab ROW -> Canadia on the main RENN forum

although, I'm still a bit unsure now about...
the taxes and import duties

as the main site i was looking at said my car would be RIV excempt.

hi to my future REN-CAN buddies !
Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist and soon Canada. A 1990 should be exempt and importation should not be a problem. You will need day-time running lights but that is not a big deal.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome Adrian. Say, are you bring over a right hand drive S2?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:45 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I imported a '95 993 a few years ago. Because my car was considered as personal effects (I moved from Houston, TX to Toronto), I did not have to pay any Duty or Taxes (neither PST or GST), did not have to go through the RIV (Registry of Imported Vehicles) nor the Canadian Tire inspection (daytime running lights, baby seart anchors,...). I just had to do the safety test and emission test in order to register the car in Ontario. Your import process should be very similar. PS: I am in the shipping business, in case you need assistance with transporting your car from the UK to Mississauga )
Old 11-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Adrian, welcome to the Canada forum and to Canada when you finally get here.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Look forward to seeing you at the Saturday GTG!
Old 11-20-2009, 09:29 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

WOW guy's

thanks for the fantastic welcome !

Old 11-20-2009, 09:30 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

thankxs Bob

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Welcome to Rennlist and soon Canada. A 1990 should be exempt and importation should not be a problem. You will need day-time running lights but that is not a big deal.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:35 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

yeah

a few concerns, so pls feel free to chime in

1> a few people have mentioned that, it might not be a good idea
especially as when overtaking or turning left

2> resale value Can$

3> car prices in UK are rubbish and bought her for £10k (in 2000) dont want to just dump her for a few grand, especially all the love I've put into her. just something so nice about the 44 cab.

4> seen prices for 68's and they are running like $15k, which is something I dont want to spend.

5> thinking also of selling here (in UK) and buying a newer car, here in Can either a Porsche or anther different car (I know I know )

6> want something more in line with Can so for snow looking for something with a Stability control. and something newer than a 19 year old car.

what do you guys think ?

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Welcome Adrian. Say, are you bring over a right hand drive S2?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:38 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

hey m8,
great thats what I wanted to here, but, the process could be different from US than Europe? (duty etc) but yes , its personal effects which I have to declare when i land, which I will do.

transport.... YES thanks man can you can you drop us an email
(adrian @ playback DOT demon dot co dot uk) and we can chat further

Originally Posted by AM993
I imported a '95 993 a few years ago. Because my car was considered as personal effects (I moved from Houston, TX to Toronto), I did not have to pay any Duty or Taxes (neither PST or GST), did not have to go through the RIV (Registry of Imported Vehicles) nor the Canadian Tire inspection (daytime running lights, baby seart anchors,...). I just had to do the safety test and emission test in order to register the car in Ontario. Your import process should be very similar. PS: I am in the shipping business, in case you need assistance with transporting your car from the UK to Mississauga )
Old 11-20-2009, 09:38 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

recall? info

Originally Posted by AM993
Old 11-20-2009, 09:43 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

BTW

The other consideration is insurance, as I'll be driving on a UK license till I get my canadian one.
and an RHD will that be a problem

also if I decide to sell her how much can I sell her for do you think
(full service history and VERY good cond)

cheeeeeeers all
Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

honestly I think the right thing to do would be to just sell it and start over ... a RHD 944 would be VERY difficult to sell and personally I would not want to be sitting on the curb line driving ANY car , never mind a Porsche, as visibility to oncoming traffic is limited , or for passing etc.

Our AMrkets are similar and "pestige" car prices are depressed. But we are close to par with the US dollar these days and there is LOTS to choose from down there.

no idea what your car will bring in a UK market but i still say sell it there or leave it with a family member ..

Good luck ...
Old 11-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I second Iceman's suggestion. If you can get a good US car from Arizona or CA there should be no rust to worry about either. Canada can be tough on cars that are driven all year unless they are properly looked after and rustproofed.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

hi guy's,

Yeah, I am now seriously looking at selling here. Depedning on house sale, I'm going to start marketing it at around £7k (can$12k).

I'm so attached to the car, (had it sinnce 2000) not seen any RED cars nor s2 cab's. NOr any advertised in Can A/T

I'm drawing up a wish list of cars, maybe after having a 19yr old car its time to get something newer.
Also a lot of possiblec cose and hassle in importing?
Looking other than at Porsche other marques (will run the list past you guys)

would be looking at now moving away from the 44 marque, considering the 68, but again prices are quite high.

poss. Boxster /996 ?

What is it like do you think learning to drive LHD than RHD ? I knwo people say that its easy?

-------------------

Also with my UK license which I assume is an international license, I can drive straight away on Can roads? I have to apply for a g1 which I think is for a year, but then have a test and go for the full g2?

Can I essential have a g1 but drive on my international then? I think its valid for a year.

Would that be from the time I land and become a PR or finnally settle and get the g1
reason being, I'm waiting on house sale, but am planning on landing in March, for a few weeks, but back home?

Ideas and thoughts

Quick Reply: hi Renn Canada