Notices

hi Renn Canada

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Concerning your driving license, if you are moving from the UK to Canada to live, you will be able to exchange a UK licence issued by the DVLA for one issued by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (you give away your UK license and the MTO replaces it with an Ontario driver's license). You must have proof of at least 24 months of licensed driving experience in order to get your full G license automatically (no need to go through tests and/or the G1/G2 process).
If you are coming to visit, you can drive with your international license. Trouble will start whenever you want to insure a car under your name in Canada: most likely, your insurance company here will give you 30 days to convert your UK license to a Canadian license in order to provide coverage (that's what happened to me when I moved here 4 years ago).
Old 11-24-2009, 01:04 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool,

wonder how I can proof that?

I have old insurance policies, which states my driving record (or at least dates i had accidents on, also I have my original recipt from owning my Porsche?

cheers man

Originally Posted by AM993
Concerning your driving license, if you are moving from the UK to Canada to live, you will be able to exchange a UK licence issued by the DVLA for one issued by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (you give away your UK license and the MTO replaces it with an Ontario driver's license). You must have proof of at least 24 months of licensed driving experience in order to get your full G license automatically (no need to go through tests and/or the G1/G2 process).
If you are coming to visit, you can drive with your international license. Trouble will start whenever you want to insure a car under your name in Canada: most likely, your insurance company here will give you 30 days to convert your UK license to a Canadian license in order to provide coverage (that's what happened to me when I moved here 4 years ago).
Old 11-24-2009, 01:50 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume that your UK license has a date on it, when it was issued. That should work.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might have a source for an identical car to yours in Toronto.

1990 S2 cab red on black but canDian cAr. The last I heard was he needed 15k less then 80,000klm on The car
Old 11-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

As for learning to drive an LHD you will pick it up quite quickly. I grew up driving RHD and can fairly quickly adapt to both. Find somewhere quiet and give yourself a bit of practice but its no big deal. Winter driving can, however, be an experience, so if you are planning on heading into the snowbelt it might be worthwhile taking a winter driving course.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:26 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

oh yeah DOH !

Originally Posted by AM993
I assume that your UK license has a date on it, when it was issued. That should work.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:27 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

oooooooohhhh

how difficult to get used to driving stick with other hand?

also, I am looking at selling mine here so we'll see

but thankxs dude for caring

Ade

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993

1990 S2 cab red on black but canDian cAr. The last I heard was he needed 15k less then 80,000klm on The car
Old 11-25-2009, 01:28 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

cool thankxs man

Originally Posted by Ronan
As for learning to drive an LHD you will pick it up quite quickly. I grew up driving RHD and can fairly quickly adapt to both. Find somewhere quiet and give yourself a bit of practice but its no big deal. Winter driving can, however, be an experience, so if you are planning on heading into the snowbelt it might be worthwhile taking a winter driving course.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:29 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

so could sell mine for £7k, buy that for same ish !

wowow

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993

Old 11-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

Insurance may be expensive as I believe they will consider you a new driver. Arnaud can maybe comment on what he did.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:41 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

that is what I'm afraid of... also being that its wrong hand drive as well
however saying that my missus has a clause on her insurance to have any driver for free (on her Dodge caravan)

IF it became my wifes car ... and I was a listed driver wuld that be better ?

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Insurance may be expensive as I believe they will consider you a new driver. Arnaud can maybe comment on what he did.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:48 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

basketball –Toronto Raptors

on a different note, missus work place has a box at one of the stadiums (air canada/canda air? in Toronto) that they take turns leveraging to entertain there clients. Sometimes on the odd occasion she can bring a guest. She's taking her neice this time, They apparently have some good food that gets catered and served by some young chicks, she is hoping to take me when I get over but has told me "No flirting with the waitresses"

so basketball... easy to pickup.. bit like cricket but not as long and you dunk the ***** instead of going for a googly? ROFLMAO

Quick Reply: hi Renn Canada