Notices

G-Tek 100k service quote

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

An extra 20 mins?? From Toronto across the border to pick up packages with customs/immigration etc is a days journey more or less....

I am having the 96k service work and CV's done at G-Tek. I got him down a bit on the parts. I will put the stays and spoiler curtain on myself, find my own rim and leave the chain housing and mufflers for now.

I know it drives some people crazy to pay these prices and labour rates but its frankly not worth my own time (no judgment call on anyone elses) to have parts shipped to the US etc etc. When I broke down his costs, his work including parts was about 65% of the dealership cost. Sure I could get it done cheaper but his shop seems to be well respected and I know the work will be well done.

Its 10 minutes from my house and I guess I am willing to pay extra for the convenience and peace of mind. I'll continue to learn how to do more of these items myself and thanks for all the valuable info.

Regards
Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I do....buy my parts from the US and have G-Tek work on the car. They are very maticulous and I'm **** that way. You're in good hands
Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
I am willing to pay extra for the convenience and peace of mind.
These are important and hard to put a price on, particularly the latter. Knowing the job will be done properly is worth a premium.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:10 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I have used G-tek for all three of my 911s for exactly that reason. He aint the cheapest but I do think Jack and Uwe are trustworthy- there have been times where they have talked me out of doing work.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I keep going back to Jack as I find he and his crew are quite skillful. He's not afraid to charge for everything. I showed my buddy the bill for about $5k for a bunch of little problems that were all fixed. I was expecting more around $2K mark but the cost of the parts (and these were used) are expensive.

One thing I do like is that he stocks a lot of little parts. When I was rebuilding the motor this winter, I went over for little things like the woodruff key and copper nuts for very reasonable prices ie: $1.00 each vs DFC - $5.00 each for the 8 copper nuts that hold the heat exchangers on... talk about mark up. I purchased all my motor rebuild stuff from EBC Racing including wires, plugs, rotors, caps, and found their prices much more reasonable. I went to 3 different places and they all quoted me about $10-12K for the rebuild.

I've been buying more stuff from LA Porsche Dismantlers... 3.3 litre turbo motor, 82 SC roller..... stay tuned!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

good luck with LAPD they have been ripped on here many times by listers that have been ripped off. I believe there is at least one lawsuit against these guys.
again good luck!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Any good shop suggestions for a 2nd opinion in the east end? I am just not comfortable doing this work on my own and dont have anywhere to do it even if i wanted to tackle it. I can go to my local garage near Kingston Rd and Vic Park (Spiros) but probably want more expertise

Thanks
Tom and Paul plenty of experience. I would highly recommend them.

Quick Reply: G-Tek 100k service quote