Notices

Ghetto Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why wait till spring and have the engine sitting in "contaminated" oil all winter?
The fresh oil isnt going to go bad over the winter.

[QUOTE=pickering993;7066404]
Originally Posted by NITEALB
I'm gonna use a few layers of carpet underlay for the tires. How important is the oil change for storage?[/QUOTE]

I've always been told its best to leave it and change it first thing in the spring.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
EDIT: Use Shell 91 to fill the tank as other gasolines have Ethanol in them which absorbs water/moisture .... Shell 91 is 100% gasoline!
+ 1 on shell 91. i did the switch this year and the car performs better and my calculations show a small increase in fuel economy (it's small since we're only talking about 10%...but any savings is good.)
Old 11-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
Is there anything i'm forgetting?
YEA.... TO DRIVE IT!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
+ 1 on shell 91. i did the switch this year and the car performs better and my calculations show a small increase in fuel economy (it's small since we're only talking about 10%...but any savings is good.)
10% is always good!!!!!

And at a cheaper price than 94 .... = Bonus savings ...
Old 11-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
10% is always good!!!!!

And at a cheaper price than 94 .... = Bonus savings ...
10% ethanol content, not fuel savings
the math is roughly an extra MPG..then again my math is poor so it might be more
Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

concrete does nothing to batteries...URBAN MYTH
storing them uncharged does damage them permenantly.
you also can put seatbacks forward so springs are not compressed
Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ thanks dan.

Forgot to take the e-brake off.
Time to go ebay shopping for OEM car covers. I'm assuming i'll need a specific version to clear the aerokit spoiler rite?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

not sure what the cover will do except keep dust off and hide car from others. that being said I use one.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:46 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Get yourself a CTEK charger with the cigarette lighter adapter (Performance Improvements on the Queensway/Islington stocks them), then you can leave the battery in the car and it will maintain it. This is the same unit you can buy from Porsche....minus "Porsche" on it!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My error ... usually if its on cement ...it gets cold ...

Battry Maintenance when storing

Flooded Lead Acid Battery Storage

Periods of inactivity can be extremely harmful to lead acid batteries. When placing a battery into storage, follow the recommendations below to insure that the battery remains healthy and ready for use.

NOTE: Storing, charging or operating batteries on concrete is perfectly OK. The most important things to avoid:

1. Freezing. Avoid locations where freezing temperature is expected. Keeping battery at a high state of charge will also prevent freezing. Freezing results in irreparable damage to battery's plates and container. [Freezing can happen between -19 F (40% charge) and -98 F (fully charged)]
2. Heat. Avoid direct exposure to heat sources, such as radiators or space heaters. Temperatures above 80° F accelerate the battery's self-discharge characteristics.
3. Step by step storage procedure: 1. Completely charge the battery before storing. 2. Store the battery in a cool, dry location, protected from the elements. 3. During storage, monitor the specific gravity (flooded) or voltage. Batteries in storage should be given a boost charge when they show a 70% charge or less. Completely charge the battery before re-activating.

For optimum performance, equalize the batteries (flooded) before putting them back into service.

This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies.

Quick Reply: Ghetto Winter Storage