Notices

Just got back from Deals Gap/ Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:23 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a pretty good write up. I just saw your Green Machine parked in the corner Yesterday. How the heck do you keep it so clean without a cover? Has the 2010 sibling delivered yet?

Originally Posted by Ronan
Old 11-21-2009, 03:36 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great run huh... You should have been running it back in the 80's and 90's before the state troopers took it over. I suppose it was for the best, during nice weather; the radio reports a wreck at the Gap about every other day.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:59 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Here is an article I wrote about it in Autoweek a few years ago......"It’s officially U.S. 129, a narrow, twisty, hilly strip with 318 turns in 11 miles that is quickly becoming a pilgrimage for bikers and auto enthusiasts."
The 318 turns in 11 miles is its claim to fame, but I was skeptical after watching a few YouTube videos of the Dragon. It wasn't that twisty compared to some of the roads I have driven.

Contacting the web master of the Tail of the Dragon site, I found out that there aren't 318 "full" turns.

As Ron Johnson of the Tail of the Dragon web site put it in an e-mail to me "A curve is counted every time the steering changes. Some corners might have three or more curves if the turn tightens while in the corner."
Old 11-21-2009, 10:12 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by jugger911
You should have been running it back in the 80's and 90's before the state troopers took it over. I suppose it was for the best, during nice weather; the radio reports a wreck at the Gap about every other day.
Many motorcyclists now avoid it like the plague or hit it at the right times when there are less yahoos on it.

I'd hate to be on it on my bike or 993 only to have some 2 or 4 wheeled clown go sliding into me.

There is even a Tree Of Shame, a tree with bits 'n pieces of motorcycles hanging from it by those who really didn't know what they were doing.

Tree Of Shame

Quick Reply: Just got back from Deals Gap/ Tail of the Dragon