Notices

CDN motor speedway - needs OUR support!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009 | 06:16 PM
TrackAddict
AutoX

Default CDN motor speedway - needs OUR support!!

Hey everyone - please see this message I received regarding the Canadian Motor Speedway, the new proposed race track in Ontario - it's important that we all come together and support the cause!!

As motorsports enthusiasts we all know that there are not nearly enough venues in Ontario. This proposed speedway is like nothing else in Canada, and we have been given an opportunity to voice our opinions and show our support for growth and chance in this sport. The Canadian Motor Speedway needs YOUR help to make this dream turn into a reality. Please take a few moments and show your support, don’t let the people who oppose have the only voice. This is an amazing opportunity not only for racers and fans, but also for the entire province.

PLEASE HELP THE SPEEDWAY BECOME A REALITY BY WRITING A LETTER OF SUPPORT TODAY TO:
Carolyn J. Kett
Clerk
Town Hall
1 Municipal Centre Drive
Fort Erie, ON - L2A 2S6
ckett@forterie.on.ca

DON’T FORGET TO “CC” A COPY OF YOUR EMAIL TO THE RACE TRACK info@cdnmotorspeedway.com
AND VISIT THEIR WEBSITE TO CHECK OUT THIS ONE OF A KIND FACILITY www.cdnmotorspeedway.com

Have you ever heard of a “GREEN” race track? Well now you have! This speedway will enhance environmental features with the creation of additional and sustainable creeks, storm water ponds and an Eco Park, which exemplifies a co-existence between the modernized and natural world.

There are so many reasons why we in Ontario need this track!!
It will be a world class venue recognized as a tourism attraction which will benefit the travel/tourism industry in the Niagara region, the positive economic impact with the creation of jobs during this global economic crisis and creating a positive impact to the Niagara region and surrounding communities, , the educational partnerships in the automotive and manufacturing sector, it’s a leader paving the way for environment friendly race tracks, it offers a wide range of activities and entertainment for racers, fans and their families, something you cannot find at any other facility.

Most importantly it provides an outlet to drivers of all ages to test their vehicles performance in a safe and controlled environment to develop and enhance skills that cannot be achieved by driving on public roads by offering training by certified professionals, these types of driver improvement programs keep our street safer for everyone and help reduce dangerous driving activities.

Please, let’s not be deprived of this incredible opportunity! Please forward this message to all of your friends and if you belong to other clubs/forums please post this message as it affects us all as an automotive enthusiast community!

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT OUR SPORT!
Old 10-20-2009 | 06:20 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Someone want to setup an email template and post it. Would love to support a new track.
Old 11-24-2009 | 03:53 PM
TrackAddict
AutoX

Looks like it's already coming to a vote on Dec 7th, I just got this message and will go out to support, any one else ? PS I also signed the petition.

THIS IS IT! The vote for approval goes Monday December 7, 2009, 6 p.m. @ Fort Erie Town Hall.

This will be the final meeting for approval and we need to have a major presence on this night. The opponents will be there in force and we need to show the voters how passionate we are about this development. Again I Thank You for all your messages, comments and support. Each and every one of you HAVE made a difference. The Facebook group has a prominent place in generating awareness and support for the CMS project and Town Council has noted that. The developers and partners have noticed what you have done as well, and are most appreciative. I will post a link on the "events" section of the CMS Group page about the Vote Meeting. Please show on the 7th and bring all the support you can muster. Thank You!

FACEBOOK GROUP FOR CMS
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=85047111703

SIGN THE PETITION TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!!

Message to supporters. Please sign the petition supporting the Canadian Motor Speedway Project. Thank You!

*note* Ignore the donation pop up window. Just close the browser and you will automatically be signed on the petition. NO donation necessary.

http://new.ipetitions.com/petition/femotorsports/
Old 11-24-2009 | 11:08 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TrackAddict
Looks like it's already coming to a vote on Dec 7th, I just got this message and will go out to support, any one else ? PS I also signed the petition.

THIS IS IT! The vote for approval goes Monday December 7, 2009, 6 p.m. @ Fort Erie Town Hall.

This will be the final meeting for approval and we need to have a major presence on this night. The opponents will be there in force and we need to show the voters how passionate we are about this development. Again I Thank You for all your messages, comments and support. Each and every one of you HAVE made a difference. The Facebook group has a prominent place in generating awareness and support for the CMS project and Town Council has noted that. The developers and partners have noticed what you have done as well, and are most appreciative. I will post a link on the "events" section of the CMS Group page about the Vote Meeting. Please show on the 7th and bring all the support you can muster. Thank You!

FACEBOOK GROUP FOR CMS
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=85047111703

SIGN THE PETITION TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!!

Message to supporters. Please sign the petition supporting the Canadian Motor Speedway Project. Thank You!

*note* Ignore the donation pop up window. Just close the browser and you will automatically be signed on the petition. NO donation necessary.

http://new.ipetitions.com/petition/femotorsports/
Whoah, bump for sure! Signing now
Old 11-25-2009 | 09:54 AM
Bryan Henry
Instructor

Missed this post previously, just signed up for both
Old 11-25-2009 | 02:39 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

I signed the petition. Good luck.

Bill
Old 11-25-2009 | 02:55 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

signed.
Old 11-25-2009 | 08:36 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Done!
Old 11-25-2009 | 08:40 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

letter, petition and facebook group all done
good luck
perhaps someone could tell us what races they would like to have at this venue, and where exactly the site is. also have they broken ground or are they waiting for approval first?
Old 12-01-2009 | 10:34 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Not to be a debbie downer but over several years I've seen the 'great oval hope' come and go and every single time the default setting is always the same - public money needed. There is NO public money for an oval track. Oval tracks across America, including Indy are struggling to stay open.

A project of this scale that includes all the options they can throw at the public short of a wave pool is not going to be built under the current conditions.

Many in the auto racing forums locally have been laughing about the many, many attempts to build one of these monsters up here and every attempt has failed because of one main issue: the people behind these attempts never put their own money behind the projects (Right Jeff?) - it's always either public money or some pie in the sky funding from a sercet group. So far we are five for five on failure and this one will be six out of six.

As far as I have heard, there has been no show of this massive money from the UAE. Even when times were good this was suspect because the UAE connections in Toronto were really in the shadows without much of a bio to go by and review their track record. If you've read the papers lately you'll see that funding has dried up now because the house of cards has fallen over there.

NASCAR has too many events now that are not doing well - they won't take a risk on adding an Ontario event to that list that has a knock on affect of killing off their road course event at the NASCAR owned Glen - an hour and a half drive away. Without NASCAR, (which is always the key) an oval track is DEAD in this region. Ever wonder why they never show a list of their funding partners? Not one Canadian bank listed. Not one private wealth management group listed.

Why does this private group need these 'plea's' from local mayors?? Support is an interesting word in the political world. It usually means, 'it's about all we can give you as we are struggling to find money for this years snow removal budget'!

I love the following statement: "there are no speed limits on the road to excellence"

Oh yes there are and as always - speed costs MONEY and it shouldn't be my money, (public).

Support the tracks we do have now, such as Toronto Motorsports park, (poor Dunnville...) 'boogie', Shannonville and Mosport before you waste your time on another public tax sinkhole. We already have enough of those - talk to people in the film industry about white elephant movie studios in the toronto harbour area.
Old 12-01-2009 | 02:02 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

good points Toronto worker!
why doesn't track addict answer yours and my questions? he asks for support but doesn't answer questions which would let us know what we are supporting....what a waste of time.
Old 12-01-2009 | 02:48 PM
TrackAddict
AutoX

I'm not affiliated with the track so I can't answer your questions, but here's what I can tell you... I'm just a member of their facebook group just like many others, I'm an avid track day goer for 10+ years now both with my car and with my motorcycle, I think it's a great opportunity and welcome the idea of a new track in the Niagara region, and wanted to share the info with others. I did my homework on what I was supporting, and their website is full of information.

Personally it's not the oval that interests me. I love the idea of the 2.6 mile FIA road course, and I also love the education program with McMaster University, and the creation of over 2000 jobs in the area is much needed, and I would probably even spend some time on the karting track. The drag strip, motocross, snowmobiles, NASCAR etc. is not really my cup of tea, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who would support that type of racing.

I attended the first public meeting months ago, and I plan to support them at the next two coming up on December 7th and 9th. I'm not sure where you get your information about not having UAE investors, as they were present at all the meetings along with Jeff Gordon's people and they are still listed on the speedway's website.

I've sent my letters of support to everyone, and as such I've been receiving emails and updates back from them which I thought important enough to share with others.

As for other tracks, Mosport, love it and have spent lots of time there, Dunnville before they were shut down by TMP also spent time there, same with TMP and Shannonville. Sadly I can not say that I've been to bogie but I definitely plan to for 2010.

When Dunnville was shut down people all cried about it, but NOBODY bothered to do anything about it until it was too late, so I'm being proactive about this track because I support it and want to see it happen.

Anyhow, if anyone's interested it goes to vote on the 7th with the town, and on the 9th with the Region. Here are the letters I got in my email today.

Old 12-01-2009 | 03:49 PM
swbatte
Pro

Petition signed.
Old 12-01-2009 | 03:52 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

thank you for the response and good luck. I think we all hope this happens!
Old 12-04-2009 | 01:23 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

and I also love the education program with McMaster University,
This is an interesting angle to the application as no where does it state who will be paying for this usage. Is it the Ministry of Collages and Education? Is it included in McMaster's five year plan? Is the track usage "free" for McMaster? Is there to be a structure built for this use and who will pay for it? I've hunted and cannot find any reference to legal agreements signed between any parties. I cannot find any reference to "funding" in any material posted on the schools website or the Ministries.

So far all this seems to be a 'suggested' use of the property. Perhaps there have been some entry level talks between these two parties but unless the funding has been approved or McMaster has some wealthy donations they are keeping quiet about I rate this as a 'wish list' item instead of hard commitment.

and the creation of over 2000 jobs in the area is much needed,
I am always wary of job numbers posted against these types of applications. Many times they are counting employment totals that they cannot possibly support if called upon to produce an audited report. Temporary, seasonal and 'community' job numbers cannot count in job creation totals as related directly to this facility. (and this comes from Employment Canada) They must be DIRECTLY related to this operation. Did you know that both the Daytona Speedway and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway do not employ this number of people each, (full time employment)? There is a difference between 'community impact' and job creation - at their facility.
I'm not sure where you get your information about not having UAE investors, as they were present at all the meetings
and they have not as yet, filed any financing information. As far as UAE: They just told a huge group of classic auto racers to stay home four days before they were to leave the UK to race at their new F1 track. They won't admit it yet, but auto racing funding has been shut down due to their real estate house of cards failing and the European banking line of credits drying up. I'll ask again: if someone can post financing plans for review - perhaps this application might begin to make a little sense. It still doesn't make sense from a NASCAR issue but thats something we've already discussed.

along with Jeff Gordon's people and they are still listed on the speedway's website.
Jeff Gordon’s step father runs his business. For what it's worth: No where have they EVER said they are putting ANY money into this site. From what I have read they have been CONTRACTED to design the layout and consult on the other elements of the project. Perhaps they are being paid a fee for this or are taking some equity in return or a combination. They havent said. People always make a mistake putting too much substance in what press releases say or what is listed on websites. I look for legal agreements, financing details and contracts signed as proof of intent. We haven't even touched upon the OMB hearings, the Green Belt Act and the Fruitbelt Protection Act - all of which have to be dealt with in public hearings - yet to be set. The town can alter whatever local plans they control at their level - it means squat at Queens Park.

The other thing that is interesting is that under Ontario Municipal financing rules – a Municipality or Region cannot go to bond markets to raise finances for a private group’s usage, (at least without Cabinet approval). Soooo… any promises of QEW off ramps, water and sewage connections’ and any other infrastructure upgrades can only be paid through local tax increases or a special levy if this group won't pay for theses items.

You know a plan / operation is in trouble when you need petitions...

I've sent my letters of support to everyone, and as such I've been receiving emails and updates back from them which I thought important enough to share with others.
I understand this - I'm NOT critical of you - just these people’s plans. Is there anyone here who belives they won't be asking for public funding at somepoint when the money like 'magic' stops flowing from our special offshore investors?

When Dunnville was shut down people all cried about it, but NOBODY bothered to do anything about it until it was too late, so I'm being proactive about this track because I support it and want to see it happen.
Dunnville violated the counties property usage rules - rules in place long before it was used for cars ripping around. Even the owner of the property (the track operator was not the property owner) was upset. Sad end but it WAS an expected result. The final straw was allowing an unsanctioned motorcycle group holding a 'race'.

I have no problem with another race track in the Province, we certainly need a better oval then Cayuga, I just have a bad feeling that the public is going to be asked to guarantee completion of this project as part of a financing deal. The McMaster issue is just just one red flag of many I see of taxpayer involvement used to 'sell' this groups plan.

Quick Reply: CDN motor speedway - needs OUR support!!