Notices

Anyone park underground downtown Toronto....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:09 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Anyone park underground downtown Toronto....

and keep their car there for the winter. ie. move it around a bit but not out of the garage but enough that you dont have to pay for a separate spot?? Having a tougher time finding a winter spot near me and I am pretty sure I have seen some cars in my building with layers of dust on them as they have been there for the winter.....its an expensive option if you have to pay but if no one notices who knows....
Old 10-07-2009, 01:00 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I store mine in my parking spot for my condo. I layed down a rubber floor to guard agains the moisture of the concrete. I simply cover it up, fill it up with fuel and start it up every 4-6 weeks and give it a good drive in the garage. I parked my year-round car (Cherokee) on the street with a street parking permit
Old 10-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression you can get a monthly pass from a "Green P"? Maybe I'm wrong. If not, you could just enter a green P and leave it there all winter, keep moving it and in the spring when you check out, tell them you lost your ticket, all you'd have to pay would be the lost ticket charge which is probably 1 full day? LOL
Old 10-07-2009, 01:37 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I used to winter my car in the apartment complex at the SW corner of St. Clair and Spadina in the most westerly building that faces south side of St Clair. Building is mostly occupied by senior citizens and they had plenty of space on the 3rd floor. Cars parked there don't seem to move much..I suspect many owners are Snowbirds.
Cost three years ago was $85 per month and security is good. Only drawback is no electrical outlet for battery maintainer.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use my parking spot downtown to park my car for the winter. It is heated and I have a corner spot so no worries about dings or winter run-off from other cars.
I cover my car though, so it doesn't accumulate dust or pick up other nicks somehow. I do get into the office earlier and drive it around the underground every couple of weeks before any other cars get in.
I also do the usual stuff ... wash/wax the car first, top up the gas and add stabilizer, bump the tire pressure, etc. I also take out the battery after I run it around ... but you have to block the lid so it doesn't latch w/o power to reopen.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

what is this Winter Storage Thing you say?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:01 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

i guess you could pull into a downtown parking garage and move it around every so often so noone gets suspiscious. when you want to leave, press the "lost tag" and pay the max daily rate and leave. lol.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
what is this Winter Storage Thing you say?
I dunno?!?...I'm confused too???...
Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

whenever i park in toronto it seams allways underground and i pay about 140.00 from Monday to Friday ... keep seeing Phil's car there too ..
Old 10-08-2009, 09:38 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't winter the best time to drive a Porsche
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snasrulla
I was under the impression you can get a monthly pass from a "Green P"? Maybe I'm wrong. If not, you could just enter a green P and leave it there all winter, keep moving it and in the spring when you check out, tell them you lost your ticket, all you'd have to pay would be the lost ticket charge which is probably 1 full day? LOL
Can you really do that? I've been renting a garage for the winter for $60 a month. This is something to think about.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:00 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

only if you don't mind the prospect of a big rusty hook picking up your car and dragging it out by the axle ...

anyone ? anyone ?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:21 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

OK i'll be more specific. I pay for parking at BCE Place which is not the cheapest place in town unfortunately. I have a magnetic parking pass to get in and out. What I suspect some guys are doing is driving in, leaving their cars, taking their parking passes and using them for their winter vehicles. ie free parking for the Porsche or whatever their summer car is. I dont think you could throw a cover over it unless you were paying for 2 spots as that would be a little suspicious.

I was just curious if someone had tried this strategy and got away with it - or got nabbed.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sebastian944
Can you really do that? I've been renting a garage for the winter for $60 a month. This is something to think about.
that's about as good a deal as you're going to get bud. 60$ a month is almost bike storage cheap.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

I don't know if my suggestion would work, I was just speculating. I believe you can park overnight at some garages (maybe green P). And if you move your car around in the garage, how do they know you haven't gone in and gone out? Just a thought, maybe someone has a beater they don't care about and they could do this experiment?

Quick Reply: Anyone park underground downtown Toronto....