Notices

Engine Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Cobrastrike
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Detailing

After attending a few car shows, I felt like my engine was looking pretty tired. I'm not big into the whole chrome thing, especially on a Porsche.

I needed a way to clean things up back there, so after a bit of research, I dove in and here's what happened...

Me getting dirty.

Work in progress.

The finished look. Considerably nicer than it used to look.

I also decided to get rid of the air conditioning. I drive a targa, and 90% of my driving is without the roof in. No need for it - it's just excess weight. So out it went.

Total time for this project was two days (primarily because of waiting for the paint to dry on all the little pieces before I could reassemble it all).
Old 09-28-2009, 10:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

Nice Job Mark . did you powder coat or just shoot it with a spray bomb? also your finishing products look great what did you use ?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh That looks sweet! Well done and thanks for the posting.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:34 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it...good job.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does look good. Which product(s) did you use on the black plastics?

Also, you should set the date on your camera.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:01 AM
TargaMatt
Instructor

Nice! I should make this one of my winter projects. Would also be interested in hearing what you used for products.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Wes_R
Banned

Beautiful! Looks very well done.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 481 Posts
Default A great water based degreaser.

Although I left mine stock, I did detail the engine compartment to get rid of the years of oil mist and dust that had accumulated on the parts.

The product that I have been using for well over 20 years on my motorcycles is made by Swish Maintenance called FACTO AT30 - Aircraft, Mass Transit and Vehicle Cleaner.

It is a water based degreaser that is safe on all surfaces that I've encountered so far.

Pics of my engine compartment which is reasonably clean but will get another few detailing sessions when I have more time.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Cobrastrike
Track Day

A degreaser did most of the work. I believe it was Spray Nine we used. I contemplated using Back to Black but after seeing how well it looked with the degreaser I decided not to bother.
The red is a high heat produuct. I can't remember the name but they didn't have it in red in a spray can so we just brushed it on out of a small can after disassembling the fan/alternator assembly. The silver was not high heat but hasn't given us any problems so far. The soundproofing behind the rear seat was flaking off so we scraped as much off as we could and put on a black asphalt spray we picked up from Parts Source. We brushed all the rails white after cleaning off the degreaser.
The air conditioner pretty much unscrewed/unbolted so it was pretty straight forward to remove. If it's warm out, I want the roof out not air conditioning!

Quick Reply: Engine Detailing