Notices

tools and tool chest

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts
Default tools and tool chest

So, I've been wrenching on my cars, motorcycles, PWC's for the past 10yrs or so.... I have multiple sets of sockets, including one close to 200pc set, stubby gear wrenches, plain stubby wrenches, and a set of full length wrenches. 3/8" and 1/2" torq wrenches. Most of my stuff is Mastercraft, with a smidgen of Craftsman thrown in. I have some Jobmate stuff, but that's mainly for my travel fixit toolbox (I have a student rental as well as our own house.)

A few years back, I got a small toolchest on wheels as a bday gift from my inlaws, but it's now pretty full.

My main socket set is fine, the only thing really wrong with it is the plastic latches no longer hold, and I use velcro to hold the case together....

Anyone hear actually use a toolchest in their garage? It would be nice to actually organize my tools and garage someday. OTOH, having a portable socket set does kinda appeal to me....
Old 08-23-2009, 01:58 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Princess auto and canadian tire are key for this. canadian tire has some tool chests on sale right now as well.

as for whether or not its worth it, only you can make that call. I think they are because its a bit easier 2 keep things organized, plus you keep your detailing supplies in the cabinet section, and tools that you don't use regularly all in one location.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:16 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Hi Dead Eye,

Yeah, I saw that 36" tool chest on sale at CT. Still will be about $700 if I get both the top and bottom sections......

I'm wondering how often the slightly smaller one goes on sale....

P
Old 08-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Granger968
Rennlist Member

Everything goes on a sale at Can Tire, from 30pct to 70pct off. The key is to not be a hurry to get the tools. One summer I made a list of all the tools I could possibly need and bought them all as they went on sale.

I'd definitely go for a tool chest if you don't have one and are serious about your toys and tool/shop organization. You can probably go for a top chest only to begin with. Probably 300$ or less and you will be able to store all your most frequently used tools for sure.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a full size 2-piece roller chest and couldn't live without it. Worth every penny. The abilty to find the right tool instantly pays dividends everytime I work on the car. It also encourages you to clear your tools before putting them away - extending thier lives and making the next job a welcoming consideration. I leave the top open and use a socket organizer in the top section to find reg and deep sockets quickly.

I even went so far as to label each drawer so I can find stuff more quickly.

This chest is now totally full of tools and I am also living out of a 200+ piece socket set for some reason.

RK
Old 08-24-2009, 01:19 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Thanks for the input guys.

I went to the CT in Gravenhurst, but they didn't have the 36" model on display

Our house has a 3 car garage, so I *could* fit a 36" chest in there, but I'm hoping to have all 3 cars in the garage this winter, plus a snowmobile, so things might be tight.....

Sears actually has a craftsman set that might do me.... It's smaller at only 23" wide, but it's also sub $500 for the chest and cabinet.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Costco also has some neat tool chests occasionally:
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....A&Sp=C&topnav=
Old 08-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I can't imagine my garage without a proper chest. Mine has 2 shallow drawers and 3 deep, plus a cabinet below. Metric sockets go in the top drawer on the right, metric wrenches on the left, imperial wrenches, sockets and small tools in the 2nd drawer, 1 drawer just for screwdrivers. No organition beyond that, though - attrition method.

What do you guys use for socket organizers? All the ones I've seen require snapping in or something - PITA that means I'd never use it. I'd love to see some other ideas
Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup I have a CT tool chest. 9 Drawers of varrying sizes. I couldn't organize my garage without it.

Everyone here is correct. Wait for CT to put one of their higher end chests on sale. They commonly go on for 50% off. Also, I would recommend buying one that's larger than you think you'll need. I got one that I thought I would grow into, and I outgrew it in a year. Get a full size one!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:44 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,104 Likes on 789 Posts

..if your gonna do it .... do it right ......

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 AM
petee_c
Drifting

iceman,

where'd u get that? cost?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Benny771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seen them, or ones very simular at costco. Approx 1year ago. Was like 1700 or so.
If memory serves...................... Oh look at the bird!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Sputter
Pro

Is that the one with the radio and beer fridge in it?

Originally Posted by theiceman
..if your gonna do it .... do it right ......
Old 08-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Sputter
Pro

I have a CT top and bottom roller set. Very handy but I also have 5 tool boxes because I can slide them under my bench (not that it stops my work space from becoming cluttered). I have assorted shelving for breaker bars/torque wrenches/ pc polisher that don't seem to fit anywere else.

Originally Posted by petee_c
So, I've been wrenching on my cars, motorcycles, PWC's for the past 10yrs or so.... I have multiple sets of sockets, including one close to 200pc set, stubby gear wrenches, plain stubby wrenches, and a set of full length wrenches. 3/8" and 1/2" torq wrenches. Most of my stuff is Mastercraft, with a smidgen of Craftsman thrown in. I have some Jobmate stuff, but that's mainly for my travel fixit toolbox (I have a student rental as well as our own house.)

A few years back, I got a small toolchest on wheels as a bday gift from my inlaws, but it's now pretty full.

My main socket set is fine, the only thing really wrong with it is the plastic latches no longer hold, and I use velcro to hold the case together....

Anyone hear actually use a toolchest in their garage? It would be nice to actually organize my tools and garage someday. OTOH, having a portable socket set does kinda appeal to me....
Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,104 Likes on 789 Posts

yup got her at cosco .. my old red one I out grew and now use it in the basement for my extra set of tools ...
One of the best investments I ever made ... I keep not only my tools but my test equipment in here also. Whichever one you get make sure you get roller bearings ....
I can't remember the cost .. but once i saw it the cost didn't matter ... Phil has a real nice one to for the intermediate set of tools . If I find a price I iwll post .. .

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=4791

Quick Reply: tools and tool chest