Notices

I dare them to try this on the 401 between the 400 and the DVP at 9am.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dare them to try this on the 401 between the 400 and the DVP at 9am.

Heck, anywhere in the west from the 401/407 all they way east to Kingston Rd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Ox0ZmVIU
Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

That is funny though. Getting lots of people upset. They should have left the passing lane open though and have an unmarked police car riding with them radioing in to cruisers up ahead.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 397 Posts

how funny.
speed limits are set way too low in North america
Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 PM
gteehan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, but only because we weren't behind them
Old 08-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
speed limits are set way too low in North america
Between drinking, smoking and gambling, speed limits are also part of the self inflicted 'extra' taxation that Governments everywhere have come to bank upon. When times are tough and people cut back on going to Rama, buying smokes and a six pack instead of a 24 - Governments have to find a new way to raise revenue and 'safety blitz's' become the mantra they use with the Police as their tax collectors.

Interesting fact in Ontario: All these consruction zones with reduced speed for the 'safety' of the workers? The vast majority of deaths of road side workers are caused by their OWN CO-WORKERS! Very few are caused by drivers - most are by cave in's and trucks backing over workers etc.

The reduced speed along sections with concrete barriers is over-kill and they know it. It's just another fishing hole that gets drivers closer to big money tickets and or 50 over laws where the officer gets extra court hours. The state gets even more money if workers were on site when you got nabbed - this despite the fact that they were working on top of the bridge 30 feet above you.

Oh and the surcharge on your ticket for crime victim's is a laugh when a recent report by the auditor general of Ontario reported that very little of these surcharges were going to these people - it was going into the general revenue fund instead to disapear I guess to GM and Chrysler.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

i would cut around in front of them, then just slow down to 5mph. holding only one of them up .. that would F " up there plan good ....
Old 08-17-2009, 08:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

.. and when everyone does slow down .. revenue drops ... so then it is " zero tollerance time "
Old 08-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Around 7 years ago I was on the 401 heading to Mosport for a UCR DE event. It was around 7 AM. When I reached Markham Rd. I got caught behind 10-20 of Toronto's finest on Harley's probably going to some event of their own. They were in the passing lane cruising at a breakneck speed of 90kmh.
I was 6 cars back. No one in front of me dared to pass them. I swear I tried everything to get to the front of that line. I managed to pass the cops east of Whitby. Once I got away from that mess everyone else decided to do the same.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian 162
Around 7 years ago I was on the 401 heading to Mosport for a UCR DE event. It was around 7 AM. When I reached Markham Rd. I got caught behind 10-20 of Toronto's finest on Harley's probably going to some event of their own. They were in the passing lane cruising at a breakneck speed of 90kmh.
I was 6 cars back. No one in front of me dared to pass them. I swear I tried everything to get to the front of that line. I managed to pass the cops east of Whitby. Once I got away from that mess everyone else decided to do the same.
See it all the time. Cruiser on the road or highway driving about + or - 5 the speed limit. No one wants to pass. Cops must be laughing his *** off in that car. But then you have 1 driver sneek thru the mess and pass the cop + 10 or so above the limit and then everyone does.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:27 AM
picus
Advanced

I think they made their point.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Interesting video, reminds me of an article I read about 20 years ago that compared highway fatality rates in the US (65 mph at the time) to the German Autobahn (no limits). The end result were fatality rates were practically the same and the conclusion was that it wasn't speed that killed but that frustrated drivers caused more accidents. In North America, drivers are not very courteous and throw their cars in park in the right lane, causing faster drivers to cross over to the far right to pass, in Europe, drivers flash to pass, and yield the right of way.

Maybe they should institute different speed limits by lane. e.g right lane 100km/h, middle lane 110 km/h, far right lane 120 km/h.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Well, there is some nut in city hall want to reduce the speed limits to 10Km/h in the city. The constant addition of new restrictions and fines is horrendous. The only legitimate case I can think of for rendition would be Fantino.

Given the need to accommodate every safety concern and make the roads accessible to every possible use, I am considering making my next vehicle a horse and lobbying for horse lanes. Its just discriminatory that I cannot have a stable of horses and ride them downtown. Those motorists need not more than one lane in any direction. That would solve all speeding concerns.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Ronan
Well, there is some nut in city hall want to reduce the speed limits to 10Km/h in the city. The constant addition of new restrictions and fines is horrendous. The only legitimate case I can think of for rendition would be Fantino.

Given the need to accommodate every safety concern and make the roads accessible to every possible use, I am considering making my next vehicle a horse and lobbying for horse lanes. Its just discriminatory that I cannot have a stable of horses and ride them downtown. Those motorists need not more than one lane in any direction. That would solve all speeding concerns.
Pick up after yer animal ... willya!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:31 AM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

I saw that guy on CTV News a couple nights ago as well. What a dweeb. That would actually be a good idea, the horses. You could get yourself a fast quarterhorse and get some carbon fibre horseshoes and start racing. Or, get a Clydesdale and start kicking inattentive drivers? Maybe chariots as well?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:46 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I think we should all go back to riding horses or donkeys around and see how the city deals with that. I bet it's still legal since it was the preferred mode of transport 100 years ago before the car displaced the beasts. Hmm, food for thought...

I just read that the city is now allowing people to raise chickens in their backyards! Great, so now we'll all be slaughtering our own food before we fire up the BBQ! Douche bags in office are fully committed to returning us to the stone age.

Quick Reply: I dare them to try this on the 401 between the 400 and the DVP at 9am.