Notices

PCA Race this weekend at Mosport

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cleanme
Are you allowed to run telemetry? I like in F1 the Engineer will say "Brake 10m later, the car can do it" and like robots these guys brake 10m later. Maybe you could run telemetry?

Awesome results regardless! Any pictures or video?
LOTS of telemetry! The car is equipped with the latest Motec data acquisition software (standard) and has everything you need. I have my data, Empringham's data (in my car), and also Timo Bernard's data from that 1.228 (don't ask me how I got that!). But I know where it is, and it's *****! Try going flat out in a Cup in 4th into one with NO brake, only a lift and then halfway down 2 going flat and hoping the grip holds into the 2nd apex. That's probably 1-1.5secs combined there for me, that i'm not doing.

But, I'd also like to see my wife and three kids afterwords, and not in the afterlife!

I was too busy to take pics and my video was not working properly, but hopefully I can find some pics from others who took 'em.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:52 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fryd
LOTS of telemetry! The car is equipped with the latest Motec data acquisition software (standard) and has everything you need. I have my data, Empringham's data (in my car), and also Timo Bernard's data from that 1.228 (don't ask me how I got that!). But I know where it is, and it's *****! Try going flat out in a Cup in 4th into one with NO brake, only a lift and then halfway down 2 going flat and hoping the grip holds into the 2nd apex. That's probably 1-1.5secs combined there for me, that i'm not doing.

But, I'd also like to see my wife and three kids afterwords, and not in the afterlife!

I was too busy to take pics and my video was not working properly, but hopefully I can find some pics from others who took 'em.
Awesome! So with other people's data does it give you your splits on the fly? So say "Section 1" of Race Course X you are 0.253s off of Timo?

How do you transfer data to and from the Motec? I'll have to come out and spectate one race.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:33 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Motec software on your computer matches up with the Motec on the car...all the data gets downloaded, event by event, lap by lap. You can overlay your data on to anyone else's and see where there are the differences, turn by turn. Covers speed, g's, brake pressure, gear, etc.

I think I'll speak to Courtney about sponsoring a lunch next year on the Saturday for Rennlisters....you guys would have fun.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

I think I'll speak to Courtney about sponsoring a lunch next year on the Saturday for Rennlisters....you guys would have fun.
Sorry about your gearbox issues yesterday. I was your blue at station six yesterday and could hear the problem developing. Courtney also had another client (white 1999 996 in DE group) have a BIG blow up on Sat going into four and parking just before us at five drivers right. White smoke out both banks and massive amount of oil dripping from the gearbox/motor split area. I saw Courtney at the PCA dinner and mentioned his car and he was *hoping* it was a gaskets. I think he was being kind... It looked real bad sitting there still putting out white vapor out the tail pipes five minutes after and most of 12 liters of 0/40 covering most of the downhill section at four.

As far as Patrick: Good driver but has a discipline issue. Most black flags and visits to the tower to see the clerk that I can recall in one weekend of 25 years at the track in ANY series - let alone a fun club series. He was forced to visit us on Sat to apologize to the starter which he kinda did sort of didn't as he still thought his blown start where he simply nailed the throttle too soon was her fault! The fact that three people saw him give her the finger on the next lap through was over the top. He says he didn't but the fact that during a full course he was shaking his fist at the safety car in corner five who he *thought* was the pace car who was waving him past an accident scene and he *thinks* is not picking him up as the leader was funny. Pat: "But I'm P1..." Safety One: "I don't care - keep going". Then the fist waving starts. What a joke.

Then he debated with me my call on his brake testing everyone going up through 5C towards six during sat's qualifying session. He told the clerk he didn't do it until I stood eyeball to eyeball with him and he says 'Ok, I may have been trying to put heat into my tires because we're told we can't weave'!

Problem is he was going way too slow on the out lap and then he starts hitting the brakes HARD and four or five guys behind who can't see - start diving for the edge of the track because of his actions. I questioned him on how he would feel if he was in car 14 or 23 as they slammed into each other in a series with a 13/13 rule because the lead car is jamming everyone else up.

He didn't say anything for a minute and then said, 'they could have passed me if they wanted..' He knew this was weak as he was at that point the fastest guy out there and everyone was trying to show HIM respect to give him a clear lap, except he's not putting his boot into it and stomping on the brakes instead. He wasn't returning the respect to his fellow drivers.

Thurs test day was interesting when he did a two laps under a black flag's at EVERY station before he finally slowed down and came in. When asked by the Mosport official what a black flag means he gave attitude. I told him to his face at the dinner when he bought the starter (Judy) a few beers that he doesn't need to be doing this stuff with his skill and he just smiled - which I don't know what his smile meant and I don't know if it sunk in or not.

He got his wish (His team - AJR demanded) to see that car 23 had to go up to the tower for a blend line at pit out issue on Sat as I guess because he felt picked upon. I've never known a simple four wheels over on pit out to have to visit the clerk - CASC just requires a stop in the penalty box and a little talk and release so that smacked of silliness in demanding a fellow driver visit the tower.

Not a fan...

Thats why I was happy to see him blown away on Sat afternoon's sprint race by car 88.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:57 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

I agree that NONE of that behaviour belongs at a Club Race, although it is reasonably commonplace in the "professional" racing series like GrandAm, or IMSA, where Pat spends most of his time.

Not sure if you got the right car # on the blend line issue though as #23 was Mitch Pagery, who was driving for AJR.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:25 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you'd all like to see what Dave's car looks like, you can see it on the EU Autowerks website @ http://www.euautowerks.com/rd/rd.shtml
Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

I agree that NONE of that behaviour belongs at a Club Race, although it is reasonably commonplace in the "professional" racing series like GrandAm, or IMSA, where Pat spends most of his time.
The 'finger' salute would get him shut down for a weekend alone in IMSA. That happened 2 years ago at Sebring and the guy was asked to go home.

Not sure if you got the right car # on the blend line issue though as #23 was Mitch Pagery, who was driving for AJR.
I could be wrong on the number - it was second hand through the comm operator beside me and you guys were LOUD.

Great racing all in all. Who was in the RSR, (not the slow guy from Quebec) on Sunday? It *looked* like it was a driver change for the enduro as that guy rocked compared to earlier in the weekend.

Pat could not believe the speed of #88 on Sat afternoon, he was like, 'where did they come from'?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:18 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Sorry...just back from holidays. The RSR is owned by Christian Zugel (gentleman driver) and his coach is Eric Lux (GrandAm racer), who co-drives the car with him...

And the #88 car is a GT3RS (precursor to RSR), so should be 3-4 secs a lap FASTER than a stock Cup car, so the fact that Kelly was keeping up with him either means he's slow or Kelly is really fast...Probably more the latter than the former.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 392 Posts

which Pat are you guys talking about?
Old 08-15-2009, 08:36 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

I have my data, Empringham's data (in my car), and also Timo Bernard's data from that 1.228 (don't ask me how I got that!). But I know where it is, and it's *****! Try going flat out in a Cup in 4th into one with NO brake, only a lift and then halfway down 2 going flat and hoping the grip holds into the 2nd apex.
Um... that takes BIG *****!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbodan
which Pat are you guys talking about?
Patrick Kelly. GT3 Series driver.

Quick Reply: PCA Race this weekend at Mosport