Notices

Mosport UCR first timer

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:27 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree completely with Peter's comments. Stan was my instructor and he was both helpful and entertaining. I felt a bit of a pylon out there in white for the first few solo runs but I did my best to give timely passes and it was getting better by Sunday afternoon.

Big thanks to all the UCR volunteers and exec who put on a great weekend. I didn't meet a single person who wasn't friendly and helpful.

Favorite corner - 4 into 5a ... Most frustrating corner - 8 "... OK, this time I'm going to brake less and carry more speed ... doh ! ... OK, maybe next lap ... "
Old 06-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

What about 2? That's usually a favourite or most hated! (Favourite for me)

Turn 8 is always scaru because you're carrying so much speed out of the straight. It's a much higher speed turn than it looks!

In my old girl, which *might* see 190 with a flawless trip through 5 and a strong tailwind, I can brake really late for 8. Scares the crap out of passengers! But almost every trip through I still feel like a wimp halfway through. Like you said "next time I'll go faster"!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:59 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Turn 2 was definitely frustrating for me all weekend, but very sweet if and when I got the initial turn in right...usually with lots of coaching and hand gestures from HH... that it was amazing how much speed and throttle you could carry though the second apex and track out.

Turn 8 was all about *****... I backed off before the last crest... until my ride with HH, when I saw the light!! ....Very cool!! It made a huge difference in how I was then able to begin approaching the corner...

Old 06-01-2009, 05:19 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn 2 gave me lots of grief early on but paraphrasing Stan, I just had to come to grips with the fact that the apexes (sp?) were indeed there and would continue to be there next time, etc. Lining up on the distant marshalling tower coming out of 1 helped a lot.

Turn 2 was "interesting" as the speed got up - drifting out after the first apex, feeling the grip build and coming back to the second, power on to the exit ... but I just didn't find it as fun as 4 - blasting down the hill then breaking into all that compression going up-hill to 5a was a rush when you got it right.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Turn 8 was all about *****... I backed off before the last crest... until my ride with HH, when I saw the light!! ....Very cool!! It made a huge difference in how I was then able to begin approaching the corner...

What's hard about that is the car gets really light after you crest the last hump, which is just before you want to start braking, so you really need to be confident in your braking to stay on the power over the crest and wait out the brief period of levity. Not easy, psychologically! When I drive the 996TT I usually and coast over the crest. I've gone over it with the power down before, but I'm usually pretty terrified!

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Turn 2 was "interesting" as the speed got up - drifting out after the first apex, feeling the grip build and coming back to the second, power on to the exit ... but I just didn't find it as fun as 4 - blasting down the hill then breaking into all that compression going up-hill to 5a was a rush when you got it right.
Huh, different strokes, I guess. Maybe it's the difference in your car and mine. I don't really find 5 all that fun - it's too slow. At least I can keep up with everyone else through it But I find 2 to be just such sheer exhilaration! Foot flat to the floor by the bottom, car is at 9/10s, and often seeing growing distance from that 996 or Cayman behind me! Oh man, what a rush. I'm SO stoked about going tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Mosport UCR first timer