Notices

Mosport UCR first timer

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:43 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Mosport UCR first timer

Anyone going to Mosport this weekend? I'm heading there from Ottawa with 3 fellow Rennsport members.

Any tips for a first timer to Mosport?

I am in the blue run group with Rennlist, but have requested yellow for this weekend.... and an instructor for the first few sessions.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:03 PM
9six4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be there for my second PCA DE in the greens.
Don't believe the weather report.

Phil
Old 05-27-2009, 12:29 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I am in the blue run group with Rennlist, but have requested yellow for this weekend.... and an instructor for the first few sessions.

I think that pretty much covers it.

This weekend will also be my first time out to Mosport this season. Really looking forward to it. Hopefully the weather is dry.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM
88 951S
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring a change of undies for the first time through turn #2!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's wet, consider spending a LOT of time in the passenger seat of someone else's car. While I love driving in the wet, I don't enjoy it at Mosport. There's just too much at stake, and it's so easy to make one tiny mistake that could bit so hard.

And yeah, the weather report is only a very vague guideline. Mosport is a weather zone of its own - it's really weird. It can be pouring on the highway and sunny at the track, or vise-versa.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:10 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly really enjoy Mosport in the rain... what a great time.

In the rain, I spun twice into the entry of 5a, and twice between 8 and 9 over the years. It really shows you where you need to improve your driving.

Just go slow enough that if you spin you won't hit anything... or go out with an instructor that will teach you the rain line.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:10 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Hey Peter - Sounds like we better be leaving the MPSC's at home ...

The new Pagids are installed and so far seem pretty good - Jason managed to dial another 0.5 deg of neg camber in so I'm hoping the tire wear is going be better.

I hope to have an additional video camera for rear facing video for this weekend - so I can get coverage of you approaching and passing ... this is something I expect to see a lot of ...

Where / when did you want to connect in Carleton Place on the way down ?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Raymond Lum
Instructor

Rennsport members are always welcome to our home track. You guys will have a blast..................................
Old 05-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

You will love Mosport. weather looks good for sunday fingers crossed for sat.
saturday after 5.00 we are doing a track walk
Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Hey Peter - Sounds like we better be leaving the MPSC's at home ...

The new Pagids are installed and so far seem pretty good - Jason managed to dial another 0.5 deg of neg camber in so I'm hoping the tire wear is going be better.

I hope to have an additional video camera for rear facing video for this weekend - so I can get coverage of you approaching and passing ... this is something I expect to see a lot of ...

Where / when did you want to connect in Carleton Place on the way down ?
Hey Dave, I'm dropping my wheels off at Ray's this morning.
The weather in Peterborough looks ok: Peterborough
Whitby looks good as well: Whitby
Isn't Mosport near by?? Maybe I should look at a map... but will definitely program it into my NAV

LOL, with all the mods you now have, that 2nd rear facing camera will be for saying sianara as you pull away... I'll be sure to..

Would 2-2:30ish be a good time to meet? Paul LeBel want to meet as well. Unfortunately Paul Robins has had to cancel,.... I will check with Ray to see if he wants to head that way too with his 24' trailer.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 88 951S
Bring a change of undies for the first time through turn #2!

It's not corner 2 or 2A that bites the most - it's corner 1. Remember, shiny red and white paint on the exit curbs at 1 and big, big cement walls drivers right at the exit...

Do not wrestle with the car on exit or get too early on the power. Corner one has been a graveyard over the last few years for F430's, lambo's of all colours and the odd Porsche. It's not the entrances of corners where you slide off that are the problem with Mosport - it's the exits. Lets not even talk about rain...
Old 05-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Hey Dave, I'm dropping my wheels off at Ray's this morning.
The weather in Peterborough looks ok: Peterborough
Whitby looks good as well: Whitby
Isn't Mosport near by?? Maybe I should look at a map... but will definitely program it into my NAV
This is the closest weather station to Mosport. (Orono)

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CAON0509
Old 05-28-2009, 02:26 PM
blu_in_green
Intermediate

I'll be attending for the first time as well. I've never been to a track as big or fast as Mosport, so I'm praying for dry conditions (according to the forecast in the link above, it looks like we might get lucky). Either way, I'm looking forward to it as well as meeting some fellow Rennlisters.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:41 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

For those who are used to Calabogie, the pavement surface at Mosport will come as a surprise, especially if wet or damp. Years of high horsepower cars spinning their wheels have polished the dry line exceptionally well. Additionally, concrete patches have been put in that are ice-like when wet. Even when using the wet line, when you cross the dry line, traction is lost very quickly.
In the early am, some sections (Turn 6 exit for example) are shaded and may still have moisture even on a dry day. Lots of oil, grease mixed with damp make for an unpleasant experience, such as a beautiful GT-3 I was following who put on full power, spun and crunched both front and rear.
I have seen DE incidents at every corner and damage can be severe.
Be careful guys/gals and then you will have a great time on the world's third fastest road course!
Old 05-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by rideau
For those who are used to Calabogie, the pavement surface at Mosport will come as a surprise, especially if wet or damp. Years of high horsepower cars spinning their wheels have polished the dry line exceptionally well. Additionally, concrete patches have been put in that are ice-like when wet. Even when using the wet line, when you cross the dry line, traction is lost very quickly.
In the early am, some sections (Turn 6 exit for example) are shaded and may still have moisture even on a dry day. Lots of oil, grease mixed with damp make for an unpleasant experience, such as a beautiful GT-3 I was following who put on full power, spun and crunched both front and rear.
I have seen DE incidents at every corner and damage can be severe.
Be careful guys/gals and then you will have a great time on the world's third fastest road course!

+1

Quick Reply: Mosport UCR first timer