Insurance for 2004 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Insurance for 2004 996

Can you guys help me out with a couple of questions:

My buddy is looking at a 996 with GT3 aero kit, pccb brakes, upgraded rims and the insurance company said they will not insure the 911 if it has been modified. Does anyone have a good company to work with? 45 yrs old, perfect driving record?

Also, what do you guys think a car like this is worth?
Old 05-22-2009, 05:54 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Um... I guess the right word to use is the car is not "modified"... it came with extra factory options.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

I tend to agree that modifying would be significant motor mods ie: turbo or NOS. My cars are all over 15 years old and I can buy the Silver Wheels plan. Pretty good deal!
Old 05-23-2009, 04:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

some insurance even see after market wheels as modified , any excuse not to pay out .
Old 05-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Get the car appraised - there is a guy on the UCR/PCA site who does that for a living and then submit the sheet to the insurance company and pay the rate based upon what the sheet says - that is if the insurance company agrees with the value. Most of the time people spend thousands on their cars over and above the orig value and if it's written off they 'expect' to be fully reimbursed. Doesn't work that way. I wouldn't class a 996 with a GT kit as modified but then I don't work in the insurance industry. They could also agree to a value that does not cover the brakes, body kit or rims but I guess that defeats the idea of insurance.

I've been with the same company for over 20 years with out a claim and currently have four cars and a house insured and have never had any problems. I find this gives me more leverage with them and have found good relationships with insurance companies are *everything*. Moving around to different insurance companies to save a $100 or two every five years or so can come back to haunt you. I've never had to bring a car into them that was bought used for photo's to be taken - yet I have friends who have to do this. Some companies just don't want a Porsche of any type on their books. Then you have no option but to go elsewhere.

As far as the value of this car? Mileage, condition, maintenance records, model (C2, C4 etc) brand of rims, brand of GT3 kit, (Porsche or after market?) tire condition, factory options installed all play a part in value estimates. Take a look on Autotrader and see what a 2004 goes for and start up or down from there based upon what you know about the car.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

The guy you are talking about is Bruce Farrow .. Never used him , heard some good things, some bad, but that is the guy anyway
The agreed value you are talking about is the 19A endosement. Do a search on this forum as it has been mentioned many times and there is probably very few comapnies that will give it to you .
Old 05-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Thanks for the tips on the insurance. I have a pretty good set up with the insurance and luckily have not had any claims in the last 10 years or so.

Slightly off topic but do you have any tips for 'track' coverage for DE or just lapping days? My 964 is finally ready after a winter in the shop. It's purely a street car but i'll use it a little for track and autocross (totally stock).

I won't crash but that doesn't stop someone from punting me into the weeds...
Old 05-24-2009, 09:58 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

PM Arnaud if he doesn't respond here. I think he has looked at it in the past (AM993)
Old 05-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
Slightly off topic but do you have any tips for 'track' coverage for DE or just lapping days? My 964 is finally ready after a winter in the shop. It's purely a street car but i'll use it a little for track and autocross (totally stock).

I won't crash but that doesn't stop someone from punting me into the weeds...
Short answer: NONE.

Long answer: You *may* (debated by some in the industry depending on situation) be covered for liability in Ontario off road. DE events used to get some for liability but not for collision. Even that may now be a thing of the past as far as PCA. Don't crash or you bought it or keep paying for a loan while you can afford to fix it.

If someone hits you: Tough - you both lose and lawsuits go no where. Ask the owner of a GT3 who had a UCR instructor *driving* with the owner in the right seat when the "expert" looped it and crashed 'ABW' (50K damage I heard) at Mosport's corner nine a few years back.

Choose TMP or Dunnville over Mosport (big track) if you cannot afford to loose your car due to a write off. At least the tracks without walls or armco allow mistakes without huge penalties - although people do roll cars at places like Shannonville as the outside tires can dig into soft earth or shale and flip you over - same for the any track with grass on the other side of the curbs.

Quick Reply: Insurance for 2004 996