Notices

Possible solution to the Ontario front plate issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 10:52 AM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 834 Likes on 441 Posts

Hmm...we all know that Porsche is about to release a much larger three-row SUV positioned above the Cayenne.

How about a Porsche Pickup?....

Then there would be a dilemma as to whether to buy the new one. Think of the accessories...Gun mounting for conflict zones, flagpoles for Alabama,big bullbars for clearing narrow parking spaces, dropdown extending rear deckled to load your snowmobile. Would sell a million of 'em. In a nod to National Lampoon it could be called the Porsche Truxster.
The following users liked this post:
reacp911 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 01:24 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by David0413
I was just going off personal experience as Ive lived in multiple European countries and also China. Maybe 1 out of 100 vehicles is a pickup and its usually something small, size of a Ford Ranger or Maverick. Pretty much everyone uses a regular car to tow and something like a roofbox for some recreational gear.

Even if the popularity is growing, its still such a tiny market in most fairly developed countries. I also took a look at Thailand, also small and mid sized models. I was basically only referring to the big full sized ones driven by city people which I still think is completely pointless but people can buy whatever they like ofc

Please don't compare China to Canada...even though that's where we are headed.

Also I drive an F150 and it's great! I can't image not having a truck. So practical and efficient. My Wife really enjoys driving it too.
RealityGT (07-19-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 01:28 PM
David0413
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Here's the thing.. It doesn't matter what you think is legitimate. This is a society that offers choice. Make sure to judge all those people you know with pickup trucks as well. Also mention how they operate in Europe and Asia, because that's what you believe we should strive for.

GL pal, and make sure to let us know how many people you've convinced.
at no point did I say that people can't do whatever is within their rights. Ive acknowledged it many times. Youre the one who feels the need to act condescending because I have an opinion that 99% of what people claim they need a full sized truck for can be done without one. it costs $0 not to be a jerk thanks
Old 07-18-2023, 01:33 PM
David0413
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997turbocab
Please don't compare China to Canada...even though that's where we are headed.

Also I drive an F150 and it's great! I can't image not having a truck. So practical and efficient. My Wife really enjoys driving it too.
All the power to you man. I have said many times people are free to buy whatever they want. just because i dont think most people need a truck doesn't mean anyone has to follow it.

And I was mostly comparing to Europe. I've lived in UK and Switzerland more than Asia.

If you're not one of the people that drive carelessly just because you're in the bigger vehicle or park in 2 spots there's nothing wrong here. My judgement is only for those, which you see with drivers of any car ofc but I just see more of the type in trucks.
Old 07-18-2023, 01:40 PM
David0413
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vise
I don't disagree but there is something to be said for people in the downtown core driving huge pickup trucks for no material reason. Case in point, my neighbour is a hedge fund manager and he street parks his massive Silverado Z71 taking up 1.5 of the minimal spaces on our street. He drives it maybe once a month and this is on top of the SUV in his garage. Nice enough guy but that is a ridiculous use case... contractors, tradespeople, etc totally make sense but this is the definition of the 'macho man' purchase.

Suppose it is effectively no different than every middle-aged white guy driving a Corvette aside from the real impact on a tight street parking situation.
This is facts. People are free to own trucks but it is true that it take up way more parking space and road space than other vehicles in already cramped cities. If they want a truck just say so, why act like they need a truck for a bunch of things a crossover or wagon with a roofbox can do. Many also completely fail to even acknowledge that it has negative effects on other people and actually drive more careless because they think theyre invincible in a crash
Old 07-18-2023, 03:22 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 496 Posts

I just came back from 2 weeks in Switzerland. Tons of cars with roof boxes. I saw two full sized Rams and both were driving like *** hats. Lol

I rented an E220d and then a Passat wagon. No need for any giant SUV’s.
David0413 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 12:22 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts

at no point did I say that people can't do whatever is within their rights. Ive acknowledged it many times. Youre the one who feels the need to act condescending because I have an opinion that 99% of what people claim they need a full sized truck for can be done without one. it costs $0 not to be a jerk thanks
Lets be clear...
I'm saying there is utility and legitimate reasons for owning large pickup trucks in North America. It's fits with our lifestyle(s) (wide, expansive, open roads) and in a free society, we have choices
You're saying that because other countries use smaller SUV's and pickups for their purposes that we should as well, "Insert reasons here"

I think the points I made above speak to the real issues we face on our roads and not because someone owns a large pickup truck.
997turbocab (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 01:10 AM
David0413
Instructor

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Lets be clear...
I'm saying there is utility and legitimate reasons for owning large pickup trucks in North America. It's fits with our lifestyle(s) (wide, expansive, open roads) and in a free society, we have choices
You're saying that because other countries use smaller SUV's and pickups for their purposes that we should as well, "Insert reasons here"

I think the points I made above speak to the real issues we face on our roads and not because someone owns a large pickup truck.
What Im saying is that for most people, it is not a need, but a want which is fine. And your points about our roads i very much agree with but what i have seen is that truck drivers drive recklessly more often. Even if they didnt, trucks still take up way more space on street parking etc. (this is an indisputable fact) I dont control what people buy so what I think people should or shouldnt do doesnt matter but im still allowed to believe that city dwellers usually have no need for a truck that big and shouldnt drive one due to how it negatively affects everyone else. Just because I have this opinion doesnt mean its law and it doesnt mean anyone needs to follow it. The issue is you acting in such a condescending way because i have a different opinion. I disagree with some of what you said but at no point did I do anything disrespectful and thats how interactions should go.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:24 AM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

What Im saying is that for most people, it is not a need, but a want which is fine. And your points about our roads i very much agree with but what i have seen is that truck drivers drive recklessly more often. Even if they didnt, trucks still take up way more space on street parking etc. (this is an indisputable fact) I dont control what people buy so what I think people should or shouldnt do doesnt matter but im still allowed to believe that city dwellers usually have no need for a truck that big and shouldnt drive one due to how it negatively affects everyone else. Just because I have this opinion doesnt mean its law and it doesnt mean anyone needs to follow it. The issue is you acting in such a condescending way because i have a different opinion. I disagree with some of what you said but at no point did I do anything disrespectful and thats how interactions should go.
I think your problem here is your using a very broad brush to paint this terrible picture of pick up truck drivers which is completely unnecessary and not productive.
RealityGT (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 10:29 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts

^Bang on
Old 07-19-2023, 11:11 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,108 Likes on 792 Posts

I think your problem here is your using a very broad brush to paint this terrible picture of pick up truck drivers which is completely unnecessary and not productive.
The same can be said about Porsche drivers the world over and painted with a broad brush, in fact i would have to say they have a much worse reputation broadly speaking than pickup drivers. ( the old ****** on the inside joke you know comes from somewhere ) . This is why i feel while driving I kind of represent the brand and represent all Porsche drivers when i am out. I am just not sure pickup truck drivers feel the same.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:54 PM
David0413
Instructor

I speak from personal experience and I was clear it wasnt saying that every truck driver is just like this or that they all do what I mentioned. I was just saying that from what I have seen, is is way more common (as a proportion) for a truck driver to drive like that than drivers of smaller cars and SUVs.

I would argue against the "productive and unnecessary" part actually, because the bigger than vehicle, the more objectively difficult it is to park and maneuver it and also has a bigger blindspot. So if anyone chooses to drive these, it isnt wrong to say that they need to take responsibility and account for these differences. Consider why I only talked about city drivers, there is less space and more crowding, which makes these issues I mentioned more relevant.

If someone drives carelessly in any car, it is wrong but because of the issues above, it is easier and more likely for the driving of a truck driver to fall into that careless category if they dont account for the things I talked about

Tbh i wasnt exactly painting a terrible picture and more so saying that from what I have seen, most of the city truck drivers have not accounted for these things and some Ive talked to even said that they worry less about accidents because theyre so much safer. This isnt to say ALL truck drivers, just from what I have seen.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:52 AM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Not to mention this thread is from how many years ago that you resurrected from the dead?

Your doing the same thing again though... now it is just larger bigger vehicles. We also have a Yukon XL ( I know we are poster children for climate change ...I hate the cold lol. The Yukon is the easiest thing in the world to drive. Easier than the pick up. I'd argue larger vehicles are better to drive because you can see more of what is going on. Plus they're are so many sensors and cameras, Both the Yukon and F150 are easier to drive than any Porsche I've owned.

Can we continue to talk about Porsches now lol
RealityGT (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 11:39 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 224 Posts

I know we are poster children for climate change ...I hate the cold lol.
I think you've just proven what some on this forum think of those who need to drive giant vehicles

I'm now in Greece. Here's a pic of one of tje water bombers flying over our house the last couple of days

Last edited by reacp911; 07-20-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2023, 11:57 AM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=reacp911;18917399]I think you've just proven what some on this forum think of those who need to drive giant vehicles

I'm now in Greece. Here's a pic of one of tje water bombers flying over our house the last couple of days

It's called a joke... I know you have a hard time with those.. And your plane flight to Greece did worse from the environment then my whole year of driving all the cars in our household combined. But continue to throw stones in your little glass house.

Quick Reply: Possible solution to the Ontario front plate issue?