Notices

Possible solution to the Ontario front plate issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 01:46 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Macho man? You sound jealous.
How am I going to tow my sled and boat without a truck?
The following users liked this post:
997turbocab (07-18-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 02:05 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
People have been doing these things for a long time without a shoulder high front end vehicle

https://theweek.com/articles/929196/...an-truck-bloat
I'm sure you traveled by Steam Boat, because people did that for a long time as well...
Perhaps you prefer a Horse and Buggy, because people did that for a long time as well..

Old 07-17-2023, 02:21 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Macho man? You sound jealous.
How am I going to tow my sled and boat without a truck?
My XC70 will easily tow a macgregor 26x

In the 60s my dad would pull our tent trailer with a 36 hp bug
Old 07-17-2023, 02:23 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RealityGT
I'm sure you traveled by Steam Boat, because people did that for a long time as well...
Perhaps you prefer a Horse and Buggy, because people did that for a long time as well..
If a current F150 is progress, humanity does not stand a chance

Old 07-17-2023, 02:30 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by reacp911
If a current F150 is progress, humanity does not stand a chance
Well you have a choice to leave humanity behind... I doubt anyone driving a pickup would even blink...
Old 07-17-2023, 03:06 PM
David0413
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

99% of people in Europe or Asia do everything North Americans do, like towing and hauling things like kayaks, skiis, jetskis, camping equipment etc. They do it without a pickup truck or at least without a 6000lb full sized F150. Unless you use it for commercial purposes and constantly need to put supplies and large heavy equipment in the cab, you dont need a pickup, even then you can do the same with a van.

Its pretty much down to consumer choice and advertising. There are reasons why American carmakers pushed pickups and associated the cool, manly, outdoorsy image with it for so many years. It was literally just so they can save money on regulation compliance. Thats why so many people think "oh I cant do xyz without a 6000lb truck" when the reality is different.

Not saying people shouldnt or is wrong to own trucks but just pointing out that most of the reasons people give for getting trucks isnt really as valid as they think.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:19 PM
smilin
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 142 Posts

what a strange bunch of comments. i don’t live in canada, i don’t live in a metro area, and i don’t own a pickup, but since this 14 year old thread has taken a strange path, i feel fine jumping in to ask…who needs a porsche? shouldn’t we all be driving toyota minivans???
RealityGT (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 03:24 PM
David0413
Instructor

Originally Posted by smilin
what a strange bunch of comments. i don’t live in canada, i don’t live in a metro area, and i don’t own a pickup, but since this 14 year old thread has taken a strange path, i feel fine jumping in to ask…who needs a porsche? shouldn’t we all be driving toyota minivans???
True but while i do think anyone is free to buy whatever tf they want. I can fully understand why theres a lot of people who hate pickup drivers in the city, massive vehicle that blocks what others on the road can see, taking up more space in parking lots so bad drivers often go over the line and take up 2 spots, which is a huge issue in metro areas and lastly a lot of truck owners that I know have the idea that because theyre so much bigger and heavier they will be safe in a collision and so can drive more recklessly. Brand and type of vehicle are very different and cant be compared at all
reacp911 (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 03:45 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by David0413
True but while i do think anyone is free to buy whatever tf they want. I can fully understand why theres a lot of people who hate pickup drivers in the city, massive vehicle that blocks what others on the road can see, taking up more space in parking lots so bad drivers often go over the line and take up 2 spots, which is a huge issue in metro areas and lastly a lot of truck owners that I know have the idea that because theyre so much bigger and heavier they will be safe in a collision and so can drive more recklessly. Brand and type of vehicle are very different and cant be compared at all
You should call out all the truck owners you know.. make sure your opinion is made clear to them...and also let them know that Porsche owners would never take up 2 parking spots..lol

Jokes aside, the biggest issues I see on the road regardless of vehicle type:
1. Texting
2. Not using indicators when turning
3. Lack of road awareness
The following 2 users liked this post by RealityGT:
997turbocab (07-18-2023), David0413 (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 03:56 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

99% of people in Europe or Asia do everything North Americans do, like towing and hauling things like kayaks, skiis, jetskis, camping equipment etc. They do it without a pickup truck or at least without a 6000lb full sized F150. Unless you use it for commercial purposes and constantly need to put supplies and large heavy equipment in the cab, you dont need a pickup, even then you can do the same with a van.

Its pretty much down to consumer choice and advertising. There are reasons why American carmakers pushed pickups and associated the cool, manly, outdoorsy image with it for so many years. It was literally just so they can save money on regulation compliance. Thats why so many people think "oh I cant do xyz without a 6000lb truck" when the reality is different.

Not saying people shouldnt or is wrong to own trucks but just pointing out that most of the reasons people give for getting trucks isnt really as valid as they think.
Googles..
Which country buys the most pickup trucks?
Thailand Is The Largest Pickup Truck Market In The World, And It's Not America.Jan 14, 2023

Most pickup trucks available in Europe are mid-size models with a much more compact length than their American relatives, but bigger, more robust pickups are becoming more popular as an everyday vehicle and cheaper SUV replacement in Europe, too.Feb 17, 2023

So...
Old 07-17-2023, 08:41 PM
David0413
Instructor

Googles..
Which country buys the most pickup trucks?
Thailand Is The Largest Pickup Truck Market In The World, And It's Not America.Jan 14, 2023

Most pickup trucks available in Europe are mid-size models with a much more compact length than their American relatives, but bigger, more robust pickups are becoming more popular as an everyday vehicle and cheaper SUV replacement in Europe, too.Feb 17, 2023

So...
I was just going off personal experience as Ive lived in multiple European countries and also China. Maybe 1 out of 100 vehicles is a pickup and its usually something small, size of a Ford Ranger or Maverick. Pretty much everyone uses a regular car to tow and something like a roofbox for some recreational gear.

Even if the popularity is growing, its still such a tiny market in most fairly developed countries. I also took a look at Thailand, also small and mid sized models. I was basically only referring to the big full sized ones driven by city people which I still think is completely pointless but people can buy whatever they like ofc
Old 07-17-2023, 11:50 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

I was just going off personal experience as Ive lived in multiple European countries and also China. Maybe 1 out of 100 vehicles is a pickup and its usually something small, size of a Ford Ranger or Maverick. Pretty much everyone uses a regular car to tow and something like a roofbox for some recreational gear.

Even if the popularity is growing, its still such a tiny market in most fairly developed countries. I also took a look at Thailand, also small and mid sized models. I was basically only referring to the big full sized ones driven by city people which I still think is completely pointless but people can buy whatever they like ofc
Wonderful. Welcome to Canada. Lots of trucks around for many reasons... my landscaper is a tiny Chinese woman and she drives an F150 loaded with gear for her trade..I'd imagine for her F150 > Ford Ranger.
Old 07-18-2023, 12:36 AM
David0413
Instructor

Wonderful. Welcome to Canada. Lots of trucks around for many reasons... my landscaper is a tiny Chinese woman and she drives an F150 loaded with gear for her trade..I'd imagine for her F150 > Ford Ranger.
most of the "reasons" arent even legitimate reasons as I've pointed out. It's not a need but a want for 95% of them. Go ahead and buy whatever you want ofc, massive trucks included. Free country and all but I am also free to judge you if you decided to get a F150 and drive carelessly or park like an idiot in the city which I see more with trucks than other other vehicles.
reacp911 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 04:49 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by smilin
…who needs a porsche? shouldn’t we all be driving toyota minivans???
This is a porsche forum.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:45 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

most of the "reasons" arent even legitimate reasons as I've pointed out. It's not a need but a want for 95% of them. Go ahead and buy whatever you want ofc, massive trucks included. Free country and all but I am also free to judge you if you decided to get a F150 and drive carelessly or park like an idiot in the city which I see more with trucks than other other vehicles.
Here's the thing.. It doesn't matter what you think is legitimate. This is a society that offers choice. Make sure to judge all those people you know with pickup trucks as well. Also mention how they operate in Europe and Asia, because that's what you believe we should strive for.

GL pal, and make sure to let us know how many people you've convinced.

Quick Reply: Possible solution to the Ontario front plate issue?