Notices

6th Gear @ Mosport - season opener!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

The Cayman is Webbie (posted above in this thread) - I didn't see him on track much at all, though I've been out with him before and can attest that he's a pretty damn good driver - faster than me, for sure. I don't know who the Boxster driver was, but yes, he was almost airborne! I couldn't believe how fast he was flying past me on the straight - he must have been keeping up with the GT3s! And I love the colour combo on the car - natural leather interior is my favourite.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:47 PM
webbie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy6-rnGuWRY&hd=1
Damn autofocus messing thing up

Thanks for the good words. Man, that Boxster is FAST. He has a passenger and on PS2 only.

One more clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35KOos89v6U&hd=1

Probably the fastest car I ran with so far at Mosport (except the Darth Viper). Check out when he came out of T5 and where I was at the back straight and what happen at the moment I get to T8.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Christien
Race Car

That's awesome - love the rear view. He really is fast, and he blew turn 9 pretty badly, yet still kept up!
Old 05-07-2009, 03:15 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Nice. There are a couple of areas where you can pick up time from what I can see on your lap. First, try to let the car go a bid wider after the first apex and 2, and then you can get on the power sooner as you shoot for the second apex. It feels a bit hairy the first time you try it cuz the track is trying to pull your car off camber to the right, but the car will be much more stable under gas, going through the 2nd apex.

Turn 5 you have a good line. When I raced the Cayman last year there I learned to drift the car between 5a and 5b, which sets it up perfectly for c, and again lets you get on the gas earlier. Takes some getting used to again.

Turn 8 I think you can carry more speed and trail brake in from a later braking point. Try braking a little later each lap and trailing the brake in about halfway to the apex and then get back on the gas steadily. One thing I noticed when racing the Cayman is that it gets very loose on braking, just before 8, so you'll have to build your confidence up to do this!

Btw, I ran a 1.34 in the enduro and I think Ernie J's best time there in it was 1.335.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The Boxster was very quick...he also races in a series wheel to wheel.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Many thanks to the guys from Bestline for getting my car ready at the last minute.

Also thanks to Lucas for the pictures.
Attached Images   
Old 05-07-2009, 04:14 PM
webbie
Pro

Originally Posted by fryd
Nice. There are a couple of areas where you can pick up time from what I can see on your lap. First, try to let the car go a bid wider after the first apex and 2, and then you can get on the power sooner as you shoot for the second apex. It feels a bit hairy the first time you try it cuz the track is trying to pull your car off camber to the right, but the car will be much more stable under gas, going through the 2nd apex.

Turn 5 you have a good line. When I raced the Cayman last year there I learned to drift the car between 5a and 5b, which sets it up perfectly for c, and again lets you get on the gas earlier. Takes some getting used to again.

Turn 8 I think you can carry more speed and trail brake in from a later braking point. Try braking a little later each lap and trailing the brake in about halfway to the apex and then get back on the gas steadily. One thing I noticed when racing the Cayman is that it gets very loose on braking, just before 8, so you'll have to build your confidence up to do this!

Btw, I ran a 1.34 in the enduro and I think Ernie J's best time there in it was 1.335.
Many thanks for your advice.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Unsolicited as it was, sorry! What lap times were you running?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Raymond Lum
Instructor

Most amazing time at 6th Gear. Major eye candy of cars, couple of Lambos, Maserati's, AMG Mercedes, Ferrari's, BMW's, Corvettes and lots of Porsche's.............................................
Old 05-07-2009, 07:13 PM
webbie
Pro

Originally Posted by fryd
Unsolicited as it was, sorry! What lap times were you running?
PM sent.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:49 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
There were 2 of you guys in the Coopers, and you guys were FLYING! Those are awesome cars - my dad has an 05 (?) Cooper S that I really enjoy driving - I'd love to try it on the track!
Yeah, I believe I took your dad out for a short run last year and he really enjoyed it.

Gary
Old 05-07-2009, 10:11 PM
9 lives
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Christien, I really must say that I am impressed that your car was out and screamin. When you pulled your old engine I was expecting to be reading posts of woe throughout the spring and into the summer about how you wished your car was up and ready. But here they are - with pics as proof - the stories of a speeding track day. So, BRAVO to you...glad you had a good day out. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out one day this year to be able to see ole smokey in action !
Old 05-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by gbuff
Yeah, I believe I took your dad out for a short run last year and he really enjoyed it.

Gary
Yep, he still talks about it!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by 9 lives
Christien, I really must say that I am impressed that your car was out and screamin. When you pulled your old engine I was expecting to be reading posts of woe throughout the spring and into the summer about how you wished your car was up and ready. But here they are - with pics as proof - the stories of a speeding track day. So, BRAVO to you...glad you had a good day out. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out one day this year to be able to see ole smokey in action !
Thanks! But I can't call her "ole smokey" anymore, because she doesn't smoke! Maybe "drippy" or "leaky" or "incontinent"

Your expectations were shared by me, as well! (and my wife!) But I was bound and determined to have her running for the full season this year. When I tested at Cayuga a week and a half ago and it was still down on power, I was really down and frustrated. But I did some more work (drained the gas tank, replaced the fuel filter, removed one, removed and cleaned out the gas tank and reinstalled) and finally got all the gremlins out. It was a long, stinky week, but hey, all's well that ends well, right?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:17 AM
88 951S
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Z06, I have to say that car is amazing! Were you still in the break in period while out at Mosport? If so, what a great way to break that beauty in. Bravo!

Quick Reply: 6th Gear @ Mosport - season opener!