Notices

Porsche 959 Factory tour photos

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:54 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Porsche 959 Factory tour photos

My brother sent me this link: http://jalopnik.com/5208299/vintage-...to-ber+gallery

Thought you guys would enjoy it.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interestin... thanks for sharing Phil.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 PM
TURBO-951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Awesome Phil !!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

very cool. one of my favorite porsches! thanks Phil.
made me think of the imposter from Colorado that was here last summer.
Turbo951 those Champs look great
Old 04-16-2009, 09:38 AM
turboGary
Racer

very cool!

I'm acually in the process of getting together with a guy in Toronto who has a959 to take pics of my car with it. just waiting for the roads to clean up some. Maybe I can get him to bring it to one of the GTG's
Old 04-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Gary, PLEASE post here if this guy plans on coming to a GTG. The 959 is probably my all-time favourite car, and I'll make a pilgrimage to see one any time I can. Is it the red one that was for sale locally a couple years ago?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 AM
turboGary
Racer

yes, it's red.... this is it

Last edited by turboGary; 10-07-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Christien
Race Car

Unreal. If it's the same car, I made a bit of a pilgrimage to see it when it was on display at [can't remember the name of the dealership - west end/Etobicoke somwhere]. It was a Sunday and they were closed, but I still spent 20 minutes peering through the glass, taking it in. It's the only time in my life I've ever seen one.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:05 AM
turboGary
Racer

I've only ever saw one as well, years ago (a red one) they had one when the Porsches were still in Newmarket. I heard there was one there and immediately drove down to see it. I wish I had a camera back then on me. I walked around it for an hour with my mouth open drool dripping from it....
Old 04-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Did this car pass through Bruce Canepa in California? The only other guy succsessful in meeting US 'show and display' laws after 1999 was Bryan Milazzo. Anyone who had one of these cars such as Ralph Lauren, Bill Gates, Paul Allen and Jerry Seinfeld had them all shipped over to mostly Bruce to modifiy. There was some work that had to be done to the cars but can't recall how much and what it was. I know they picked the Calf air resource board standards as the emissions starting point as quite a few of the cars would be living there. I'd be surprised if this car is on the street here under any Transport Canada regs that were too much different then the display law south of the border as we pretty much piggy back what everthe States do with minor changes.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Christien
Race Car

Except that the car is more than 20 years old, so e-test and RIV exempt, which means that it's up to whomever is working the counter at the local MTO office to permit registration, and, to be honest, most of them would have no clue about the US DOT safety/emissions issues. They wouldn't have any reason not to permit the registration of the car, so long as the usual stuff is present: bill of sale, signed title and proof of insurance. Boom, done. Sometimes (though VERY EXTREMELY rarely) bureaucracy can actually work in our favour...
Old 04-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Except that the car is more than 20 years old, so e-test and RIV exempt, which means that it's up to whomever is working the counter at the local MTO office to permit registration, and, to be honest, most of them would have no clue about the US DOT safety/emissions issues.
They wouldn't have any reason not to permit the registration of the car, so long as the usual stuff is present: bill of sale, signed title and proof of insurance. Boom, done. Sometimes (though VERY EXTREMELY rarely) bureaucracy can actually work in our favour...

It MUST have a Transport Canada sticker and paper work and that is the rub. Getting plates for it after all that is the easy part. I met a guy years back at Mosport that had brought home a nice 911 from Germany that he had bought while serving with the forces and Transport Canada drove him nuts as his car was totally Euro to the point where he was driving around Ontario with German plates. Never did find out what happened - but he told me they gave him two options; remove the plates and stop driving or remove the car from Canada. They wouldn't even let him modify the car - I think as more of a punishnment then anything.

So as far as the 959: If it's already plated then no problem. Yearly renewal. But if this car hasn't been plated in Ontario - even if it's been in the province for years - say in a warehouse or driven off road - you still must produce all import paper work, inspection reports, Rev Canada reciepts etc and a numbered TC sticker on the inside door jam. You would have just as difficult a time returning it to the US as well.

FYI: The grandfathering of Clean Air Testing on 20+ year old cars has come to an end. They won't backdate past 1987 models meaning that my 1999 will for ever be tested until it dies or the program ends. I think it's unfair as I know several owners who have taken off air pumps and cat's because their car won't be tested as it's a mid 80's car. Yet it's all these older cars that are killing the air - but the majority of the Provinces cars (the other 95%) pass with flying colours but are tested to death forever. Just a stupid money grab.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:07 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Looks familiar.
These were taken at one of the UCR meets several years ago.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Christien
Race Car

Ah, you're right - I forgot about the border crossing inspection. I imported a 944 several years ago and they had to check the VIN plate and of course do up a form. But so long as the car is registered and plated in the US, it shouldn't be a problem with CBSA, should it?

As for the Drive Clean program, I'll bet you'll be fine in a couple years. I really don't see the program lasting much - there was an in-depth article in the paper a couple years showing that it has little to no effect, costs the gov't money while not making them any, and is generally more trouble than it's worth. Worst case scenario, find a buddy with a cottage up north of the city and register it there - as soon as you get out of southern Ontario (not far north of Barrie), cars are e-test exempt.

Quick Reply: Porsche 959 Factory tour photos